2001 BMW X5 4.4L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews 4

2001 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

4.4i 4dr SUV (4.4L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Poor quality from BMW
By PoorQualityX5 on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Though I love the handling and performance of the X5, the quality and reliability have been TERRIBLE. We have documented 27 issues with this car in less than 2 years and with only 15K miles on it. It has been in for repairs 10 times. Some issues are small, such as the paint peeling from the door handles, the window motor sensors not working, and the key memory failing. But we've had at least 4 major issues with the coolant system and starter which rendered it undriveable. All of this on a car for which we paid $60K! Our $25K 2001 Tahoe has been in the shop exactly 1 time in the same time period. Which is the better value?

I WANT MY MONEY BACK
By primoFOODS on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

LOVE THE LOOK AND FEEL OF THE CAR. LOT OF FUN TO DRIVE, I LIKE IT AS MUCH AS MY 911. BUT THE CAR IS IN THE SHOP EVERYOTHER WEEK. IT HAS BEEN IN FOR SMALL PROBLEMS AND FOR LARGE ONES, SUCH AS IT DOES NOT START UNTILL THE 3RD TRY AND PARK AVE BMW (WORST SERVICE DEPT EVER) CAN NOT FIX IT. THE NAVIGATION SCREEN GOES BLANK AND SOMETIMES THE BLINKERS STOP WORKING FOR A WHILE AND COME BACK ON. AND THAT IS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG. BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!!

a
By kdr on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

most comfortable and best handling suv i've ever driven. also the most unreliable and poorest quality built vehicle i have ever owned. just got car back again after 8 days in the shop to have steering rack replaced (at 18,000 miles) and now doors will not open from inside. everytime the car goes in for service comes back with more problems.

Poor Quality
By rusty_chambers on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have had a very poor experience with this vechicle. It has spent most of its time in the repair shop, with a wide range of problems. I would not recommend the 2001 version to anyone.

The ultimate worst vehicle
By Miffed on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

X5 simply quit running on the interstate today for the third time in 2 months. Fuel sensor and fuel pump problems before but I think this time it's something else. Several workmanship issues still crop up: rear hatch pops open, window seals fall off, interior light pop out of fixture. Consumer Report rates this X5 as a "Worst" used vehicle.

My X5 4.4i
By Volks on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

As expected, the handling and road manners are superb. My other car is a 911 and I am still impressed. Quality of interior is very high, and my entire family loves this vehicle, from the comfort standpoint. The ride with the sports suspension is firm, but this is again what one would expect. It rewards the driver with excellent road manners and confident road feedback.

X5 Let Downs
By Don Goldstein on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Problems started from the day of delivery with the rear hatch not closing properly. Then the problems were the as follows; Cell Phone "Whine" from BMW $1700 cell phone system, interior material on door handles peeled off , rear hatch door again broken due to faulity switch, in winter the door locks would freeze making closing the door impossible, rubber door seals peeling off of rear door, REAR SEAT BELT JAMMED, WILL NOT RETRACT.

fun but drinks gas
By funtimes on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

all around a great car. watch out for the MPG