Used 2001 BMW X5 4.4i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Judy's BMW
By Joe Ogburn

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle new in 2001 and ordered the special Mahogany metalic paint. My wife is the main driver and she loves it. It is powerful and agile and handles like a automobile. We have had a little problem with the electrical in the lights. The front side lamps and the back tail lights seem to have a problem. Other than that we are very satisfied.

Heated seats, V-8 engine,The Mahogany metalic color,the handleing and ride. The safety features are a plus.

The electrical system needs improving. I can't see any fault with the vehicle.

3 and out
By short term

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Awesome car but it is time to go. I have loved owning and driving the X5 4.4i but it is time to go. After 3 yrs and 37m miles...I have a number of recurring problems. I have been in the shop 6 times this year and i am currently waiting for another service apointment. The electrical system is horrible and I feel like I am always on the verge of the next disaster. It is a wonderful car to drive...but I would wait until BMW gets a better grasp on the electrical problems.

V8 makes the car a blast to drive.

Very unreliable after 30m miles. Poor storage. Front cup holders are useless and poorly placed. Metallic finish on inside door handles flaked off in the 1st year. Electrical system is a disaster.

X-5 4.4i
By Addy

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have had the X-5 for 2 months and the driver side window had to be repaired. The coolant warning keeps coming up although the BMW dealership says there is nothing wrong. Also had to get knob for the radio controls changed. Car is still under warranty so was covered for everything. Will probably get anxious when the warranty runs out in a couple of months.

Undoubtley a superb thrilling experience to drive it. Will take on most of the cars on the road. Greeaaat power. Love driving it everyday. I have the 4.4i sport package with the 19inch wheels so handles great. Rock solid feeling.

Overall a great SUV. Eventhough have made 3 trips to the BMW dealership, would still have bought it again.

My Blue BMW - Just Awesome!!!
By gregdeir

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This SAV is truly a truck wrapped in luxurious clothing. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know this vehicle. It has lots of power, a nice stereo system, and quality construction. Would recommend for those who desire to be among the best on the road in any type of weather.

Quietness of the interior; BMW styling; the Xenon lights are fabulous; and the spare key is fully functioned!

Move the hazard lights button to another location. Too easily activated if a woman is digging in her purse. The turn signal is noisy but provides good excuse to turn up the radio! Also, add an adjustable accelerator pedal.

Knifeman's X5
By Knifeman

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle is the smoothest road car we have ever owned. It is far superior to anything designed in Detroit. I am considering buying a second to use on my daily commute. Fuel mileage is not as good as I wish it was, but comfort and reliability make up for this slight weakness. The car is a bit expensive to maintain, but we are very happy with it.

Comfort, Reliability