Used 2001 BMW X5 4.4i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

The Best Value SUV Used. Nothing Better!
By James .D

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have had two 01 BMW x5 4,4's and I never had any real issues with them. The first X5 was bought used at 49k and I had the lower control arms changed under warranty. I had it until 79k and nothing else but oil changes were done. I sold it and bought the same model with 69k and every single option as the other was just a 4.4 with no extra options. I had to change the AC Climate control module. I did the repair in 15 minutes. At 78k just did front brakes and coolant flush. I do not baby my vehicles and both x5's have held up very well in NYC. If you want an SUV that handles and drives great, this is it!

Wow the engine, get the 4.4 if possible! Quiet and very smooth ride. Classic Style looks better than new BMW's. Options really make it much better, cold weather package, xenons, premium sound, NAV, PDC, Heated steering wheel, sunroof, I paid 23k Orginal price 69k ouch! Used is sweet!

Fuel economy 15MPG in the city. Nav interface seems ancient. Only Automatic on v8 model, Nice trans though. Why is EVERYTHING plastic! It's like every car is made of plastic now. My 5X and Camaro are full of it, plastic radiators scare me. CD-r's skip in changer. Base engine is kinda week

Perfect
By First BMW

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned this BMW for about 5 yrs. I have 71k on it and nothing has gone wrong so far thank GOD. A lot of people complain about many different things but I think the problem is on how fully loaded you get it. There is a saying " If you go German, then you go all the way". I believe this because I've purchased only BMW my whole life and each time its been "FULLY LOADED" This means Sport, Premium, Winter package, and every other bell and whistle that goes with it. Try it, I did, and I love it....

V8, Handling, Looks, Everything!!!

Better Cup Holders and more compartment space...

Dinan Package is a Blast!!
By Seekrr

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this X5 4.4 used, with 28K mi. and the Dinan package (throttle body, exhaust, 19" rims, etc) from an AZ reseller. Whoever traded this truck in was nuts! This one's for keeps. Performance is BMW-esque, suspension firm, but not harsh, and handling outshines most sports cars. And the Dinan package puts it in a league of its own. A note of caution: max out on an extended warranty. It will pay for itself. They just don't make 'em like they used to. Speaker grilles fall off, cup holders fail to close, electronic gremlins that you just learn to live with. If you live in good terrain where the roads are long, you'll love it for all the right reasons.

Dinan Package spells Performance Distinctive Looks Precise Handling

Get that non-ergonomic (but great sounding) radio and other electronics (like PDC) to be more reliable. I get frustrated in having to bring the vehicle in for such minor repairs. And why does every part have to be dealer- bought? My wipers don't perform right unless I purchase BMW blades!

THE X5 ROCKS!!!!!!
By tom

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We have a black on black x5 with every option 4.4L and we love it. The x5 has perfect crash scores, performance, technology, comfort, and a lot more. The x5 is the sportiest and best out of the bunch.

Navigation,memory chip in the keys.......... EverythING!!!!

the 6-disk cd changer should be in dash.

Bulletproof Bavarian
By Rod

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The X5 is, by far, the best vehicle I have ever owned. It still turns heads, runs like a top, and corners like it's on rails. The only thing I can say that's bad about this vehicle is that the user interface on the navigation system is atrocious, and the CD changer is in the cargo area. If I'm picking nits to this degree, you can see that I'm grasping at straws. I wind up negotiating with my S.O. about who gets to drive it.

Fast, solid, comfortable, spacious, agile, hot looks.

Rob the nav system from Land Rover's LR3. Typical european brakes require frequent wheel cleaning due to brake dust.