2001 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
First and Last
By German Enginering on 04/17/07 23:26 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

What can I say, besides the typical maintenance which needs to be performed at 60k, this car is a tank. Lots of room, classy look and performance to please any driver. I've test driven MB, Infiniti, VW, Audi, and even GM. All seem nice but what BMW has done here, no one else has done. Handling is the first you will notice after you drive the rest. Then comes the power and performance this SUV has. You think that BMW states 290 hp. Think again. I've taken 540s with my eyes closed. Some people just underestimate this SUV. Get this car and do the problematic maintenance that it needs around 60k and you will never regret it.

BMW X5
By Evan on 10/30/06 22:27 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a cool car. I've had many SUVs before, and this X5 is best I've ever driven. Really sticks to the ground

Love my X
By Brad on 09/21/06 13:41 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had for almost two years, it's been a great car. Sporty and fun to drive, practical enough for trips to the home depot, yet comfortable and luxurious enough to take on long trips. Exterior looks great; interior is luxurious and comfortable. The car has one problem; it will ruin most all other cars for you. You will get used to many of the bells and whistles found in this car that others don’t offer, for example the heated steering wheel, how did I ever live in Minnesota without it. Traction control and the all wheel drive make this a wonderful winter vehicle. MPG 18 city 23 highway.

Good Commuter and Vacation SAV
By bmw3.0sport on 08/12/06 00:20 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Got rid of a Jeep Liberty and couldn't be happier. Offers more interior room, vastly improved handling, and far better gas mileage - I get 25 on highway going 75-80. Only problems encountered were bad rear brake light sockets and a bad sensor which were replaced under factory warranty. Big pluses are safety features and ratings, interior room for 5 passengers (comfortably!), engine and braking performance, its exterior looks, and the legendary BMW driving experience (my 3rd BMW). I found it a great compromise for both commuting to work and for family vacations. (I use a 20x60 trailer cargo box in the rear for extra luggage if needed, and it does not affect aerodynamics.)

X5 3.0i as commuter car
By jeffh on 07/24/06 14:01 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My requirements were simple: safe, fun to drive, reliable, stylish, and able to both serve as a commuter car and tow my boat. Answer: A 2001 BMW X5 3.0i. It's gotten safety awards, seats 5 comfortably, drives like a BMW, looks great, and both tows my boat and serves as my daily driver, averaging 19.2 MPG in Chicagoland traffic.

My X5
By Fred on 05/29/06 10:37 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent handling in corners and the best brakes I have ever experienced. Feels very nice when seated in it. A seemingly very safe passenger cabin. 3.0 liter engine is a bit under powered.

Lots of Repairs
By Expeditiondrivernow on 04/16/06 08:50 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

First, this truck was fun to drive. But......This truck needed dealer service about 20 times in three years, beginning the day I brought it home new. Battery discharged in the winter. Goofy electronics problems. Trailer towing was no problem for the drivetrain, but the subframe bent from the tongue load towing a trailer supposedly within the rated load. The cupholders would only hold one at a time due to the intersecting circles-- an aftermarket cupholder corrected this. Due to the frequent dealer visits and lack of confidence I wouldn't drive it to Canada or any remote places like I had intended...I bought a used Jeep for the trips far away from a BMW dealer.

The Best Value SUV Used. Nothing Better!
By James .D on 04/02/06 23:04 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have had two 01 BMW x5 4,4's and I never had any real issues with them. The first X5 was bought used at 49k and I had the lower control arms changed under warranty. I had it until 79k and nothing else but oil changes were done. I sold it and bought the same model with 69k and every single option as the other was just a 4.4 with no extra options. I had to change the AC Climate control module. I did the repair in 15 minutes. At 78k just did front brakes and coolant flush. I do not baby my vehicles and both x5's have held up very well in NYC. If you want an SUV that handles and drives great, this is it!

Perfect
By First BMW on 03/24/06 13:14 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned this BMW for about 5 yrs. I have 71k on it and nothing has gone wrong so far thank GOD. A lot of people complain about many different things but I think the problem is on how fully loaded you get it. There is a saying " If you go German, then you go all the way". I believe this because I've purchased only BMW my whole life and each time its been "FULLY LOADED" This means Sport, Premium, Winter package, and every other bell and whistle that goes with it. Try it, I did, and I love it....

Dinan Package is a Blast!!
By Seekrr on 12/23/05 02:23 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this X5 4.4 used, with 28K mi. and the Dinan package (throttle body, exhaust, 19" rims, etc) from an AZ reseller. Whoever traded this truck in was nuts! This one's for keeps. Performance is BMW-esque, suspension firm, but not harsh, and handling outshines most sports cars. And the Dinan package puts it in a league of its own. A note of caution: max out on an extended warranty. It will pay for itself. They just don't make 'em like they used to. Speaker grilles fall off, cup holders fail to close, electronic gremlins that you just learn to live with. If you live in good terrain where the roads are long, you'll love it for all the right reasons.