Used 2001 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Fun to drive? Yes; Plenty of Problems? YES
By erchel

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in 2001. Put about 25K miles a year on it, 50/50 highway/local. Great car to drive! BUT nothing but problems - windows stick; doors freeze in cold weather, try driving with your left hand holding the door closed because it won't lock, or try getting in on the passenger side and climbing over into the driver's seat. Then there's the engine - twice in very cold weather something went wrong with the oil exchanger/valve? Car makes loud noise then plumes of black smoke emerge from the exhaust, dash & front grille. The first time BMW took care of it out of warranty - this time we're waiting to hear. Should be a recall item.

Favorite Features

Still a great car to drive - even after almost 200,000 miles. Very solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is horrendous. To change one of the front bulbs requires removing several parts - dealer charges almost $200 to replace a $5 bulb. If you are going to buy one of these be prepared for very high maintenance and repair costs.

Proud owner of an X5
By BMW guy

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE this "SAV." It's my third BMW. After owning a 325i and than a 330i, I was very resistant on getting an suv, it all went away after driving it. I love the performance, and its only the 6 cylinder! It handles great, the exterior is beautiful, and it very reliable. This is WAY batter than Mercedes' ML class that I test drove. The best thing of all, after 120,000 miles, it still drives like I just drove off the lot.

Favorite Features

The exterior, the reliability, brakes and performance.

Suggested Improvements

The interior door handles and panels. Wear and tear kicked in real quick for a BMW.

Has its flaws
By Ryon

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a BMW and i recently bought my X5 this summer. I loved this car when I first bought it, but now it seems like its breaking my wallet. I put more money into maintaining this car and fixing dumb little problems than any car I have owned in the past. It seems like its always going to the shop, at minimal once a month. So if you want a car with minimal maintenance and cheap to own, do not buy this vehicle. Not worth the money.

Favorite Features

The looks, power, and interior comfort

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see the vehicle have more durability on cheap parts that get commonly used, such as the windows and doors.

BMW X5
By giovanni

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good looking exterior but very expensive to repair, great car before 60,000 miles after that it has been in the shop 3 times per year within 3 years I spend 11,000 dollars just in repairs.

Favorite Features

Stability, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles, electronics very unreliable and if you take it to BMW dealer for repair they always find somethings else wrong.

The best SUV ever made
By dwayne

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Don't buy another SUV until you check out the BMW x5. It's fast comfy and fun to drive. Its excellent on fuel. Good on long trips and is spacious. I am 6.5 feet tall and I fit in it fine. No problems with my BMW x5 3.0 yet

Favorite Features

The entire car

Suggested Improvements

Nothing it's perfecto