2001 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Proud owner of an X5
By BMW guy on 01/06/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE this "SAV." It's my third BMW. After owning a 325i and than a 330i, I was very resistant on getting an suv, it all went away after driving it. I love the performance, and its only the 6 cylinder! It handles great, the exterior is beautiful, and it very reliable. This is WAY batter than Mercedes' ML class that I test drove. The best thing of all, after 120,000 miles, it still drives like I just drove off the lot.

Has its flaws
By Ryon on 12/26/08 11:33 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a BMW and i recently bought my X5 this summer. I loved this car when I first bought it, but now it seems like its breaking my wallet. I put more money into maintaining this car and fixing dumb little problems than any car I have owned in the past. It seems like its always going to the shop, at minimal once a month. So if you want a car with minimal maintenance and cheap to own, do not buy this vehicle. Not worth the money.

BMW X5
By giovanni on 09/17/08 10:21 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good looking exterior but very expensive to repair, great car before 60,000 miles after that it has been in the shop 3 times per year within 3 years I spend 11,000 dollars just in repairs.

The best SUV ever made
By dwayne on 09/12/08 19:07 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Don't buy another SUV until you check out the BMW x5. It's fast comfy and fun to drive. Its excellent on fuel. Good on long trips and is spacious. I am 6.5 feet tall and I fit in it fine. No problems with my BMW x5 3.0 yet

2001 X5 Lemon?
By mikesheridan on 08/18/08 16:39 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 3.0 X5 since it was new and have had very many mechanical and electrical problems. Replaced every window regulator at least once. Cam shart position sensors replaced. Eats brakes. AC went out just as soon as the warranty was up. Wiring harness had to be replaced because the engine would stall in turns. Out of warranty repair even though BMW knew about the issue. The paint is peeling in places the sun doesn't shine. Not a joke, it is peeling between the doors, under the hood and in very, very strange places. Another issue BMW knew about but did nothing to let anyone know. I love it but can't afford it any longer. My next car??? Not a BMW!!

All I can say is "Wow"!
By ExAlaska on 08/12/08 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Who knew an "SAV" could be so much fun. The highway mpg with the 3.0 is fantastic--I've gotten 26 or better, which is most of my driving. Around town drops it quite a bit, but still averaging 17-19 which is real world good. Incredibly comfortable and feels totally safe. My "green" girlfriend would rather take the BMW than her PC VW :)

I'm In Love
By mom68 on 05/13/08 12:52 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We just bought this BMW, which is our first jump from Volvo into any other vehicle in over 15 years. We were blown away by the performance of the engine, the luxury of the interior and how an SUV (don't care if BMW calls it an SAV or not, it's still an SUV) actually handles like a car. God willing, we're going to remain BMW owners for a long time. We bought an extended warranty at the dealer, as we've read here at Edmunds that repairs can become an issue. If you find a good used one like we did our pristine "new" x5, buy it. I'm blown away each time I get in the car at how well it's made. Even down to the alarm key. We loved BMW so much, we ran out and bought a 740i for the husband the next weekend.

Great Vehicle
By dustin on 06/14/07 12:22 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have a Carrera and I bought my X5 as a second car for more room for putting stuff in. I absolutely love this car. The ride is a little firm and it is super fun to drive. The car feels heavy but the engine is more than powerful enough. The interior of the car is very roomy and the legroom for the front and rear passengers is huge. The back has a very comfortable and wide bench seat. The car is a little stockier than most SUVs so the rear cargo is a little small but it has been more than enough for me. I have had no mechanical issues since I purchased it 10 months ago. I highly recommend this vehicle.

My X5
By 2001 BMW X5 on 05/24/07 23:26 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed this vehicle immensely since first day of ownership. Had electronic-engine trouble at 50,000 miles which eventually required a $1500 repair. Now have 90,000 miles with no additional problems. Expect to own and drive for another 60,000. Vehicle is extremely smooth and versatile.

Read before you buy
By CRJ Driver on 04/22/07 12:05 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I do not own this car any more. This was the car that made me switch brands for good. I am like most of you. I don't mind paying as long as I get my money's worth. I did not. Reliability is a big issue with me. I have had it until it went out of warranty, only owner, always kept up with the services, 11 pages of records from day one. Little things, dead battery, window regulators, Nav screen, abs sensors, vacuum leaks (intake manifold) MAF sensor, self leveling rear suspension sensors, A/C sensor, oil separator, among other things. Other than that, fun car to drive when not in shop. Well built, smooth engine but the fear of something going wrong anytime overshadows the driving experience.