2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews 2

2001 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

4.4i 4dr SUV (4.4L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
The Best Value SUV Used. Nothing Better!
By James .D on 04/02/06 23:04 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have had two 01 BMW x5 4,4's and I never had any real issues with them. The first X5 was bought used at 49k and I had the lower control arms changed under warranty. I had it until 79k and nothing else but oil changes were done. I sold it and bought the same model with 69k and every single option as the other was just a 4.4 with no extra options. I had to change the AC Climate control module. I did the repair in 15 minutes. At 78k just did front brakes and coolant flush. I do not baby my vehicles and both x5's have held up very well in NYC. If you want an SUV that handles and drives great, this is it!

Perfect
By First BMW on 03/24/06 13:14 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned this BMW for about 5 yrs. I have 71k on it and nothing has gone wrong so far thank GOD. A lot of people complain about many different things but I think the problem is on how fully loaded you get it. There is a saying " If you go German, then you go all the way". I believe this because I've purchased only BMW my whole life and each time its been "FULLY LOADED" This means Sport, Premium, Winter package, and every other bell and whistle that goes with it. Try it, I did, and I love it....

Dinan Package is a Blast!!
By Seekrr on 12/23/05 02:23 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this X5 4.4 used, with 28K mi. and the Dinan package (throttle body, exhaust, 19" rims, etc) from an AZ reseller. Whoever traded this truck in was nuts! This one's for keeps. Performance is BMW-esque, suspension firm, but not harsh, and handling outshines most sports cars. And the Dinan package puts it in a league of its own. A note of caution: max out on an extended warranty. It will pay for itself. They just don't make 'em like they used to. Speaker grilles fall off, cup holders fail to close, electronic gremlins that you just learn to live with. If you live in good terrain where the roads are long, you'll love it for all the right reasons.

THE X5 ROCKS!!!!!!
By tom on 11/26/05 13:01 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We have a black on black x5 with every option 4.4L and we love it. The x5 has perfect crash scores, performance, technology, comfort, and a lot more. The x5 is the sportiest and best out of the bunch.

Bulletproof Bavarian
By Rod on 11/03/05 16:19 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The X5 is, by far, the best vehicle I have ever owned. It still turns heads, runs like a top, and corners like it's on rails. The only thing I can say that's bad about this vehicle is that the user interface on the navigation system is atrocious, and the CD changer is in the cargo area. If I'm picking nits to this degree, you can see that I'm grasping at straws. I wind up negotiating with my S.O. about who gets to drive it.

Judy's BMW
By Joe Ogburn on 06/06/05 10:54 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle new in 2001 and ordered the special Mahogany metalic paint. My wife is the main driver and she loves it. It is powerful and agile and handles like a automobile. We have had a little problem with the electrical in the lights. The front side lamps and the back tail lights seem to have a problem. Other than that we are very satisfied.

3 and out
By short term on 12/09/04 13:18 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Awesome car but it is time to go. I have loved owning and driving the X5 4.4i but it is time to go. After 3 yrs and 37m miles...I have a number of recurring problems. I have been in the shop 6 times this year and i am currently waiting for another service apointment. The electrical system is horrible and I feel like I am always on the verge of the next disaster. It is a wonderful car to drive...but I would wait until BMW gets a better grasp on the electrical problems.

X-5 4.4i
By Addy on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have had the X-5 for 2 months and the driver side window had to be repaired. The coolant warning keeps coming up although the BMW dealership says there is nothing wrong. Also had to get knob for the radio controls changed. Car is still under warranty so was covered for everything. Will probably get anxious when the warranty runs out in a couple of months.

My Blue BMW - Just Awesome!!!
By gregdeir on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This SAV is truly a truck wrapped in luxurious clothing. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know this vehicle. It has lots of power, a nice stereo system, and quality construction. Would recommend for those who desire to be among the best on the road in any type of weather.

Knifeman's X5
By Knifeman on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle is the smoothest road car we have ever owned. It is far superior to anything designed in Detroit. I am considering buying a second to use on my daily commute. Fuel mileage is not as good as I wish it was, but comfort and reliability make up for this slight weakness. The car is a bit expensive to maintain, but we are very happy with it.