Used 2001 BMW X5 4.4i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

The best SUV ever made
By dwayne

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Don't buy another SUV until you check out the BMW x5. It's fast comfy and fun to drive. Its excellent on fuel. Good on long trips and is spacious. I am 6.5 feet tall and I fit in it fine. No problems with my BMW x5 3.0 yet

The entire car

Nothing it's perfecto

I'm In Love
By mom68

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We just bought this BMW, which is our first jump from Volvo into any other vehicle in over 15 years. We were blown away by the performance of the engine, the luxury of the interior and how an SUV (don't care if BMW calls it an SAV or not, it's still an SUV) actually handles like a car. God willing, we're going to remain BMW owners for a long time. We bought an extended warranty at the dealer, as we've read here at Edmunds that repairs can become an issue. If you find a good used one like we did our pristine "new" x5, buy it. I'm blown away each time I get in the car at how well it's made. Even down to the alarm key. We loved BMW so much, we ran out and bought a 740i for the husband the next weekend.

The driving experience on the highway (we drive mostly highway miles) is really exceptional. The kids have the DVD system in the rear and I can still enjoy music in the front part of the cabin. The rear climate controls! The netting in the rear windows! Wow! Great attention to detail BMW.

As everyone notes, fix the cup holders, making the two in front usable for two cups. Cargo room lacks a bit, but honestly driving this x5 is an absolute joy.

Great Vehicle
By dustin

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have a Carrera and I bought my X5 as a second car for more room for putting stuff in. I absolutely love this car. The ride is a little firm and it is super fun to drive. The car feels heavy but the engine is more than powerful enough. The interior of the car is very roomy and the legroom for the front and rear passengers is huge. The back has a very comfortable and wide bench seat. The car is a little stockier than most SUVs so the rear cargo is a little small but it has been more than enough for me. I have had no mechanical issues since I purchased it 10 months ago. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Power, interior, looks.

The interior is a little creaky. Around town it is a bit of a hog on gas.

Read before you buy
By CRJ Driver

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I do not own this car any more. This was the car that made me switch brands for good. I am like most of you. I don't mind paying as long as I get my money's worth. I did not. Reliability is a big issue with me. I have had it until it went out of warranty, only owner, always kept up with the services, 11 pages of records from day one. Little things, dead battery, window regulators, Nav screen, abs sensors, vacuum leaks (intake manifold) MAF sensor, self leveling rear suspension sensors, A/C sensor, oil separator, among other things. Other than that, fun car to drive when not in shop. Well built, smooth engine but the fear of something going wrong anytime overshadows the driving experience.

It would have been a good compromise between power and practicality had it been more reliable. A lot more reliable. Most of us come from the sports car market have a family now and don't like the idea of the minivan. Too bad this wasn't the car for me.

First and Last
By German Enginering

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

What can I say, besides the typical maintenance which needs to be performed at 60k, this car is a tank. Lots of room, classy look and performance to please any driver. I've test driven MB, Infiniti, VW, Audi, and even GM. All seem nice but what BMW has done here, no one else has done. Handling is the first you will notice after you drive the rest. Then comes the power and performance this SUV has. You think that BMW states 290 hp. Think again. I've taken 540s with my eyes closed. Some people just underestimate this SUV. Get this car and do the problematic maintenance that it needs around 60k and you will never regret it.

Engine sound and performance. Looks, and handling.

Better interior door handles, they tend to peel. And transmission info. What is it with this "Life Time" fluid? I just don't get why it is ok to never change the fluid. Other then that, great car for the money..