2001 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
My X5 4.4i
By Volks on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

As expected, the handling and road manners are superb. My other car is a 911 and I am still impressed. Quality of interior is very high, and my entire family loves this vehicle, from the comfort standpoint. The ride with the sports suspension is firm, but this is again what one would expect. It rewards the driver with excellent road manners and confident road feedback.

Not the best from BMW
By balp on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Model rushed to market without adequate testing in my opinion.Good in snow; HVAC wheel controls replaced; door handle replaced due to peeling; ball joints replaced after 20,000 miles (car never driven off road) to correct cluncking noise; followup service necessary to replace bushings as well. This is unacceptable premature front end failure for a vehicle designed for off road use..Cabin fairly quiet.

BEST car I have ever had
By HankG on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Despite the lack of trunk space this is a great car!

BAD CAR!
By LousyBeamer on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Aside from the numerous service issues which has precluded me from being able to drive the car over the past year and a half, I now have a battery that won't hold a charge. According to BMW - "if you don't drive your car 1000 miles a month, you are ABUSING Your car and the warranty is not valid" for the battery. How bout that? Another $250 down the drain..

X5 Let Downs
By Don Goldstein on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Problems started from the day of delivery with the rear hatch not closing properly. Then the problems were the as follows; Cell Phone "Whine" from BMW $1700 cell phone system, interior material on door handles peeled off , rear hatch door again broken due to faulity switch, in winter the door locks would freeze making closing the door impossible, rubber door seals peeling off of rear door, REAR SEAT BELT JAMMED, WILL NOT RETRACT.

It Stinks
By Healthguy on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mine was built on a Friday before Oktoberfest I think. Had nothing but problems as well as several design flaws. Such as:1) Steering wheel electronics subject to shorting.2) Software issue: Mirrors go down in reverse and then don't come up. 3) Back hatch is not a tight fit. 4)The Shades in the back windows latch to a cheap latch that breaks. 5) The Rear neck supports block your rear view mirror. 6) The side mirror are way too small. 7) Ride is lousy with the Sport Package. 8) Known battery issue where in dash CD drains the battery. As well as Engine fan. Bottom line - Worst Vehicle I have had since my 1976 Cutlass.

fun but drinks gas
By funtimes on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

all around a great car. watch out for the MPG

Fun to drive when not in the shop
By Lynn11 on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My X5 is comfortable and has plenty of power, even though it is the 6 cylinder. I have had it back and forth to the local dealership at least 15 times while I have owned it with various problems. Some of the problems, from a faulty security system to a steering wheel that was replaced and still didn't function properly were repetitious. I will be trading this vehicle in immediately. Bad mistake.

Best Car Ever!
By bmrx5pa on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since purchasing my X5, we have been on several long trips and absolutely love the comfort, convenience of controls and just simply love the drive this car! The frontal visibility is unlike any other and the interior is so roomy and comfortable that you get spoiled and don't want to take any other vehicle - anywhere. Alway reliable, drives and feels like a 740I with 4 WD.

Worth the Money
By Anna on 03/15/02 15:05 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Having driven a sedan for so long, I wasn't sure how I would like the feel of a SAV, but I was pleasantly surprised with this vehicle. The handling and performance lived up to BMW's reputation of excellence. The 6 cylinder engine made acceleration effortless. The sleek and well designed interior allows for easy access to all buttons. I was truly impressed with this vehicle.