Used 2001 BMW X5 4.4i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

BMW...B.ite M.y W.ealth
By mercedesonly1

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The moment I bought this vehicle I was very excited. Then the problems started. First the rack and pinion leaked all over my garage twice $2200 then the front axles $400, then the ignition coils $800, then several sensors; from MAF to knock sensors $900 all within twenty thousand miles! Sold it at a huge loss...BMW should be embarrassed to have ever of put this on the market.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough room to write all of the necessary improvements.

2001 BMW X5
By abdo2

TMV FTOM 9.434

Disappointed
By Dave Isaacson

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

6 months after purchase driver power window failed to operate, I was told poor design. Broke again then pass. Side front failed then pass. Rear failed. Charged for last three. At 65,000 miles right tail lights quit. Bad socket. Both front axles failed replaced. Self leveling system failed. Total cost over 5,000 usd. At 77,000 ignition coil failed. This car has never been off road, regularly serviced and garage kept. Currently at 95,000 miles have cooling problem [ I think blown intake gasket ] and 1 maybe 2 more coils, driver window will not close again, front fan inop, and many dash digits out. I say never buy 1st model year not even a BMW. No to BMW of sa. I have a lemon

Favorite Features

Radio

Suggested Improvements

Get qualified techs and use quality parts to start with!

THE WORST SUV YOU WILL EVER BUY!!!
By Audra

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV loved the design and it is a fun SUV to drive although the car is horrible. It has been in the shop for countless issues...which are major .. water pump went out had to be towed, radiator went out, numerous sensors that won't go off even after going to the shop for repair, engine misses at low speeds, the car is very unreliable and I do not feel safe driving it. I will never own another BMW ever! Too costly and not enough reliability. Constant headache of what's going to happen next. I have a huge folder of all it's repairs...that is ridiculous considering what I paid for it. I am selling it tomorrow hopefully the warning lights will stay off until then. DON'T BUY!

Favorite Features

nice design....

Suggested Improvements

better engine, better quality with less repairs!!!!!

I Missed Christmas twice. No Rent money
By BMW X'd Out!!!!!

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I can't believe how great it is to drive... it's completely the best handling S.U.V. The day I got it the check engine light was on then the Trans went for a $4,000 job. The rear light fixture had to be replaced rusted. The oil pan drain bolt stripped & was replaced for $600. Alternator was $750. Window Relay was $300. Left-Front wheel bearing $381. Air hoses and M.A.F $854. Now to things I haven't got to yet. All Rear Upper & Lower Control Arms $2,200. Steering Shaft $800. Check Engine Light Still On & can't get Inspection. Already had a Fail-Pass Inspection & can't do it again. My shop gets mad when they see me because of the many problems. This X5 has messed up my life... be scared.

Favorite Features

So much power and speed combined with handling makes an incomparable drive which is perfect on all roads... when not in shop.

Suggested Improvements

Build all BMW's in Germany...please!!! I feel like I've been set up!!! My brother's 328xi is so amazing & fun to drive..its German made.