2001 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
BMW...B.ite M.y W.ealth
By mercedesonly1 on 05/19/12 13:10 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The moment I bought this vehicle I was very excited. Then the problems started. First the rack and pinion leaked all over my garage twice $2200 then the front axles $400, then the ignition coils $800, then several sensors; from MAF to knock sensors $900 all within twenty thousand miles! Sold it at a huge loss...BMW should be embarrassed to have ever of put this on the market.

2001 BMW X5
By abdo2 on 03/09/11 12:12 PM (PST)

TMV FTOM 9.434

Disappointed
By Dave Isaacson on 05/21/10 14:58 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

6 months after purchase driver power window failed to operate, I was told poor design. Broke again then pass. Side front failed then pass. Rear failed. Charged for last three. At 65,000 miles right tail lights quit. Bad socket. Both front axles failed replaced. Self leveling system failed. Total cost over 5,000 usd. At 77,000 ignition coil failed. This car has never been off road, regularly serviced and garage kept. Currently at 95,000 miles have cooling problem [ I think blown intake gasket ] and 1 maybe 2 more coils, driver window will not close again, front fan inop, and many dash digits out. I say never buy 1st model year not even a BMW. No to BMW of sa. I have a lemon

THE WORST SUV YOU WILL EVER BUY!!!
By Audra on 02/03/10 18:22 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV loved the design and it is a fun SUV to drive although the car is horrible. It has been in the shop for countless issues...which are major .. water pump went out had to be towed, radiator went out, numerous sensors that won't go off even after going to the shop for repair, engine misses at low speeds, the car is very unreliable and I do not feel safe driving it. I will never own another BMW ever! Too costly and not enough reliability. Constant headache of what's going to happen next. I have a huge folder of all it's repairs...that is ridiculous considering what I paid for it. I am selling it tomorrow hopefully the warning lights will stay off until then. DON'T BUY!

I Missed Christmas twice. No Rent money
By BMW X'd Out!!!!! on 02/26/09 14:11 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I can't believe how great it is to drive... it's completely the best handling S.U.V. The day I got it the check engine light was on then the Trans went for a $4,000 job. The rear light fixture had to be replaced rusted. The oil pan drain bolt stripped & was replaced for $600. Alternator was $750. Window Relay was $300. Left-Front wheel bearing $381. Air hoses and M.A.F $854. Now to things I haven't got to yet. All Rear Upper & Lower Control Arms $2,200. Steering Shaft $800. Check Engine Light Still On & can't get Inspection. Already had a Fail-Pass Inspection & can't do it again. My shop gets mad when they see me because of the many problems. This X5 has messed up my life... be scared.

The best SUV ever made
By dwayne on 09/12/08 19:07 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Don't buy another SUV until you check out the BMW x5. It's fast comfy and fun to drive. Its excellent on fuel. Good on long trips and is spacious. I am 6.5 feet tall and I fit in it fine. No problems with my BMW x5 3.0 yet

I'm In Love
By mom68 on 05/13/08 12:52 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We just bought this BMW, which is our first jump from Volvo into any other vehicle in over 15 years. We were blown away by the performance of the engine, the luxury of the interior and how an SUV (don't care if BMW calls it an SAV or not, it's still an SUV) actually handles like a car. God willing, we're going to remain BMW owners for a long time. We bought an extended warranty at the dealer, as we've read here at Edmunds that repairs can become an issue. If you find a good used one like we did our pristine "new" x5, buy it. I'm blown away each time I get in the car at how well it's made. Even down to the alarm key. We loved BMW so much, we ran out and bought a 740i for the husband the next weekend.

Great Vehicle
By dustin on 06/14/07 12:22 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have a Carrera and I bought my X5 as a second car for more room for putting stuff in. I absolutely love this car. The ride is a little firm and it is super fun to drive. The car feels heavy but the engine is more than powerful enough. The interior of the car is very roomy and the legroom for the front and rear passengers is huge. The back has a very comfortable and wide bench seat. The car is a little stockier than most SUVs so the rear cargo is a little small but it has been more than enough for me. I have had no mechanical issues since I purchased it 10 months ago. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Read before you buy
By CRJ Driver on 04/22/07 12:05 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I do not own this car any more. This was the car that made me switch brands for good. I am like most of you. I don't mind paying as long as I get my money's worth. I did not. Reliability is a big issue with me. I have had it until it went out of warranty, only owner, always kept up with the services, 11 pages of records from day one. Little things, dead battery, window regulators, Nav screen, abs sensors, vacuum leaks (intake manifold) MAF sensor, self leveling rear suspension sensors, A/C sensor, oil separator, among other things. Other than that, fun car to drive when not in shop. Well built, smooth engine but the fear of something going wrong anytime overshadows the driving experience.

First and Last
By German Enginering on 04/17/07 23:26 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

What can I say, besides the typical maintenance which needs to be performed at 60k, this car is a tank. Lots of room, classy look and performance to please any driver. I've test driven MB, Infiniti, VW, Audi, and even GM. All seem nice but what BMW has done here, no one else has done. Handling is the first you will notice after you drive the rest. Then comes the power and performance this SUV has. You think that BMW states 290 hp. Think again. I've taken 540s with my eyes closed. Some people just underestimate this SUV. Get this car and do the problematic maintenance that it needs around 60k and you will never regret it.