2001 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Horrible Experience, I've only had it for 4 months
By carreviewer502 on 08/08/14 07:26 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had the car for about 4 months and I've experienced all types of problems. 1- both the driver and passenger doors have problems with the handles. The passenger door doesn't open from the outside and the driver door doesn't open from the inside. 2- The stabilizing system is ridiculously expensive to fix (about $800 depending on where you live) 3- When shifting gears, you can hear loud rattling sounds. Don't buy this car!

Stay away, stay far away...
By raindance74 on 10/13/11 20:26 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this as an alternative to our minivan, thinking we would get the same quality from the X5 as our other BMWs. From the start we had problems. Within the first 3 months we replaced the oxygen sensor, max air flow regulator, thermostat, and lower control arms, along with what seemed like a half dozen sensors that keep going bad. Even the general maintenance costs are very high, as its costs $120 for an oil change (8 quarts premium synthetic) and 91 octane gas, performance brakes & tires, etc. We ended up selling this and taking a loss. Back in college I had a 1984 318i and later a 1995 325i convertible that were both extremely reliable. What happened BMW?

Horrible quality and workmanship
By peteryuhu on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this used from a private party who was the second owner. All the maintenance and repairs were done by the dealership. It was welled cared for. All I can say, from day 1, it is a lemon. We got for $1K less than private party price, but it is a LEMON. The interior design is great, but the quality of items (door handles-sun shades-back tailgate-etc) feels like the cheap made in China toys that break the same day you open it. This is our second BMW and thought it would be the same quality, our 2001 525i has never had any problems, just routine $65 synthetic oil changes, and normal brake replacements. The X5 is horrible, DO NOT BUY ONE. I should have just bought me a new Odyssey.

Best SUV ever!
By Montelimar on 07/14/09 14:53 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Definitely the best vehicle I ever had! No problems at all, just oil changes, brakes and tires. The engine's still strong and feels like it is still new.

Fun to drive? Yes; Plenty of Problems? YES
By erchel on 01/22/09 10:32 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in 2001. Put about 25K miles a year on it, 50/50 highway/local. Great car to drive! BUT nothing but problems - windows stick; doors freeze in cold weather, try driving with your left hand holding the door closed because it won't lock, or try getting in on the passenger side and climbing over into the driver's seat. Then there's the engine - twice in very cold weather something went wrong with the oil exchanger/valve? Car makes loud noise then plumes of black smoke emerge from the exhaust, dash & front grille. The first time BMW took care of it out of warranty - this time we're waiting to hear. Should be a recall item.

Proud owner of an X5
By BMW guy on 01/06/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE this "SAV." It's my third BMW. After owning a 325i and than a 330i, I was very resistant on getting an suv, it all went away after driving it. I love the performance, and its only the 6 cylinder! It handles great, the exterior is beautiful, and it very reliable. This is WAY batter than Mercedes' ML class that I test drove. The best thing of all, after 120,000 miles, it still drives like I just drove off the lot.

Has its flaws
By Ryon on 12/26/08 11:33 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a BMW and i recently bought my X5 this summer. I loved this car when I first bought it, but now it seems like its breaking my wallet. I put more money into maintaining this car and fixing dumb little problems than any car I have owned in the past. It seems like its always going to the shop, at minimal once a month. So if you want a car with minimal maintenance and cheap to own, do not buy this vehicle. Not worth the money.

BMW X5
By giovanni on 09/17/08 10:21 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good looking exterior but very expensive to repair, great car before 60,000 miles after that it has been in the shop 3 times per year within 3 years I spend 11,000 dollars just in repairs.

2001 X5 Lemon?
By mikesheridan on 08/18/08 16:39 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 3.0 X5 since it was new and have had very many mechanical and electrical problems. Replaced every window regulator at least once. Cam shart position sensors replaced. Eats brakes. AC went out just as soon as the warranty was up. Wiring harness had to be replaced because the engine would stall in turns. Out of warranty repair even though BMW knew about the issue. The paint is peeling in places the sun doesn't shine. Not a joke, it is peeling between the doors, under the hood and in very, very strange places. Another issue BMW knew about but did nothing to let anyone know. I love it but can't afford it any longer. My next car??? Not a BMW!!

All I can say is "Wow"!
By ExAlaska on 08/12/08 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Who knew an "SAV" could be so much fun. The highway mpg with the 3.0 is fantastic--I've gotten 26 or better, which is most of my driving. Around town drops it quite a bit, but still averaging 17-19 which is real world good. Incredibly comfortable and feels totally safe. My "green" girlfriend would rather take the BMW than her PC VW :)