Used 2001 BMW X5 3.0i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Not what I've expected
By jbcarl2020

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I bought this car, I was so excited till the driver door handle started giving problem. It will not open from outside. This was a continuous problem - every time we had to drive about 30 miles to get it fix and after 3 months we were back to the same problem. This is a fun car in the summer but comes winter and it becomes terrible even with winter tires. Lots of electrical problem - till lights were always going off. No more am I going to buy a BMW x5.....

Classic look, sun roof, balance when turning in a curve ,dual CD holder / player .. just to name few

Driver door handle, winterize the car, comfortable seat

Horrible Experience, I've only had it for 4 months
By carreviewer502

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had the car for about 4 months and I've experienced all types of problems. 1- both the driver and passenger doors have problems with the handles. The passenger door doesn't open from the outside and the driver door doesn't open from the inside. 2- The stabilizing system is ridiculously expensive to fix (about $800 depending on where you live) 3- When shifting gears, you can hear loud rattling sounds. Don't buy this car!

None

everything

Stay away, stay far away...
By raindance74

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this as an alternative to our minivan, thinking we would get the same quality from the X5 as our other BMWs. From the start we had problems. Within the first 3 months we replaced the oxygen sensor, max air flow regulator, thermostat, and lower control arms, along with what seemed like a half dozen sensors that keep going bad. Even the general maintenance costs are very high, as its costs $120 for an oil change (8 quarts premium synthetic) and 91 octane gas, performance brakes & tires, etc. We ended up selling this and taking a loss. Back in college I had a 1984 318i and later a 1995 325i convertible that were both extremely reliable. What happened BMW?

The exterior looks great, I even like it better than the newer style E70 x5. Sits high like a truck. Lots of interior space. Our auto 3.0i seemed to get good gas mileage for an SUV.

Quality of parts are poor. Handles poor in snow. Stereo sounds horrible and doesnt pick up AM stations well (embedded antenna). Unless you have the sports upgrade, the seats are fairly uncomfortable on long trips.

Horrible quality and workmanship
By peteryuhu

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this used from a private party who was the second owner. All the maintenance and repairs were done by the dealership. It was welled cared for. All I can say, from day 1, it is a lemon. We got for $1K less than private party price, but it is a LEMON. The interior design is great, but the quality of items (door handles-sun shades-back tailgate-etc) feels like the cheap made in China toys that break the same day you open it. This is our second BMW and thought it would be the same quality, our 2001 525i has never had any problems, just routine $65 synthetic oil changes, and normal brake replacements. The X5 is horrible, DO NOT BUY ONE. I should have just bought me a new Odyssey.

AWD, rides high like a truck

how about quality control? I think the plant in Spartanburg, SC forgot what QC was and not to mention they forgot reliability means. Typical "American vehicle" built in the 80-90s.

Best SUV ever!
By Montelimar

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Definitely the best vehicle I ever had! No problems at all, just oil changes, brakes and tires. The engine's still strong and feels like it is still new.

Performance and handling, nothing drives better than a BMW.

Nothing!