Used 2001 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Seriously?
By Berj Yepremian Jr Plague'd MMA

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Listen you're buying a 2001 BMW not a brand new one nor a used fairly new one like an 07 -14.. For 3500 dollars you're getting quality, luxury, awesome comfort, saftet, AWD which basically makes it worth 3500 just for it being an awd, the x5 3.0I run great, i bought one after i sold my 1988 corvette with modifications and a terrible interior. This 2001 BMW X5 puts my 2007 Lincoln Navigator in it's place it's that reliable and comfortable to drive. If the door handles are worth writing a complaint Youre wasting time not fixing an easy problem. Yes theres a few small problems here and there but I've never seen an SUV as loaded and well performed as this BMW X5. I come from a classy NFL football family and have seen plenty of my share of luxury and sport cars as well as exotic and super cars, the best car Ive bought is a 2001x5 3.0i with 180k miles, i happily gave my fiance the keys to navigator that's how happy i am with this old thing.
***Also those who aren't tech savy or into the whole technology age this is the right vehicle to start out with because it literally has everything thats easy to learn without reading about. The horsepower differences are why I'm on here writing a positive comment about these X5's. Great gas mileage considering a 225 horsepower SUV. Lincoln Navigators get half the mpg city and highway compared to the x5's. The 2001s also accelerate when you need it to perform at those right times. They have front and rear sensors, also they have alarms at least mine came with them so maybe thats why the handles are causing trouble. It's really the neatest high end suv im proud to drive and talk highly about. I get so bored of cars in 2 months, but mine has been with me for 6 months and I dont want another suv. I already spent 3,000 grand on a few parts. Give it a chance and see how right it feels it's worth fixing to me. Thank you BMW for making the most reliable SUV. Good luck everyone.

Not what I've expected
By jbcarl2020

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I bought this car, I was so excited till the driver door handle started giving problem. It will not open from outside. This was a continuous problem - every time we had to drive about 30 miles to get it fix and after 3 months we were back to the same problem. This is a fun car in the summer but comes winter and it becomes terrible even with winter tires. Lots of electrical problem - tail lights were always going off. No more am I going to buy a BMW x5.....

Horrible Experience, I've only had it for 4 months
By carreviewer502

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had the car for about 4 months and I've experienced all types of problems.
1- both the driver and passenger doors have problems with the handles. The passenger door doesn't open from the outside and the driver door doesn't open from the inside.
2- The stabilizing system is ridiculously expensive to fix (about $800 depending on where you live)
3- When shifting gears, you can hear loud rattling sounds.
Don't buy this car!

None

everything

Stay away, stay far away...
By raindance74

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this as an alternative to our minivan, thinking we would get the same quality from the X5 as our other BMWs. From the start we had problems. Within the first 3 months we replaced the oxygen sensor, max air flow regulator, thermostat, and lower control arms, along with what seemed like a half dozen sensors that keep going bad. Even the general maintenance costs are very high, as its costs $120 for an oil change (8 quarts premium synthetic) and 91 octane gas, performance brakes & tires, etc. We ended up selling this and taking a loss. Back in college I had a 1984 318i and later a 1995 325i convertible that were both extremely reliable. What happened BMW?

The exterior looks great, I even like it better than the newer style E70 x5. Sits high like a truck. Lots of interior space. Our auto 3.0i seemed to get good gas mileage for an SUV.

Quality of parts are poor. Handles poor in snow. Stereo sounds horrible and doesnt pick up AM stations well (embedded antenna). Unless you have the sports upgrade, the seats are fairly uncomfortable on long trips.

Horrible quality and workmanship
By peteryuhu

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this used from a private party who was the second owner. All the maintenance and repairs were done by the dealership. It was welled cared for. All I can say, from day 1, it is a lemon. We got for $1K less than private party price, but it is a LEMON. The interior design is great, but the quality of items (door handles-sun shades-back tailgate-etc) feels like the cheap made in China toys that break the same day you open it. This is our second BMW and thought it would be the same quality, our 2001 525i has never had any problems, just routine $65 synthetic oil changes, and normal brake replacements. The X5 is horrible, DO NOT BUY ONE. I should have just bought me a new Odyssey.

AWD, rides high like a truck

how about quality control? I think the plant in Spartanburg, SC forgot what QC was and not to mention they forgot reliability means. Typical "American vehicle" built in the 80-90s.