2001 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
BMW...B.ite M.y W.ealth
By mercedesonly1 on 05/19/12 13:10 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The moment I bought this vehicle I was very excited. Then the problems started. First the rack and pinion leaked all over my garage twice $2200 then the front axles $400, then the ignition coils $800, then several sensors; from MAF to knock sensors $900 all within twenty thousand miles! Sold it at a huge loss...BMW should be embarrassed to have ever of put this on the market.

Stay away, stay far away...
By raindance74 on 10/13/11 20:26 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this as an alternative to our minivan, thinking we would get the same quality from the X5 as our other BMWs. From the start we had problems. Within the first 3 months we replaced the oxygen sensor, max air flow regulator, thermostat, and lower control arms, along with what seemed like a half dozen sensors that keep going bad. Even the general maintenance costs are very high, as its costs $120 for an oil change (8 quarts premium synthetic) and 91 octane gas, performance brakes & tires, etc. We ended up selling this and taking a loss. Back in college I had a 1984 318i and later a 1995 325i convertible that were both extremely reliable. What happened BMW?

2001 BMW X5
By abdo2 on 03/09/11 12:12 PM (PST)

TMV FTOM 9.434

Horrible quality and workmanship
By peteryuhu on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this used from a private party who was the second owner. All the maintenance and repairs were done by the dealership. It was welled cared for. All I can say, from day 1, it is a lemon. We got for $1K less than private party price, but it is a LEMON. The interior design is great, but the quality of items (door handles-sun shades-back tailgate-etc) feels like the cheap made in China toys that break the same day you open it. This is our second BMW and thought it would be the same quality, our 2001 525i has never had any problems, just routine $65 synthetic oil changes, and normal brake replacements. The X5 is horrible, DO NOT BUY ONE. I should have just bought me a new Odyssey.

Disappointed
By Dave Isaacson on 05/21/10 14:58 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

6 months after purchase driver power window failed to operate, I was told poor design. Broke again then pass. Side front failed then pass. Rear failed. Charged for last three. At 65,000 miles right tail lights quit. Bad socket. Both front axles failed replaced. Self leveling system failed. Total cost over 5,000 usd. At 77,000 ignition coil failed. This car has never been off road, regularly serviced and garage kept. Currently at 95,000 miles have cooling problem [ I think blown intake gasket ] and 1 maybe 2 more coils, driver window will not close again, front fan inop, and many dash digits out. I say never buy 1st model year not even a BMW. No to BMW of sa. I have a lemon

THE WORST SUV YOU WILL EVER BUY!!!
By Audra on 02/03/10 18:22 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV loved the design and it is a fun SUV to drive although the car is horrible. It has been in the shop for countless issues...which are major .. water pump went out had to be towed, radiator went out, numerous sensors that won't go off even after going to the shop for repair, engine misses at low speeds, the car is very unreliable and I do not feel safe driving it. I will never own another BMW ever! Too costly and not enough reliability. Constant headache of what's going to happen next. I have a huge folder of all it's repairs...that is ridiculous considering what I paid for it. I am selling it tomorrow hopefully the warning lights will stay off until then. DON'T BUY!

Best SUV ever!
By Montelimar on 07/14/09 14:53 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Definitely the best vehicle I ever had! No problems at all, just oil changes, brakes and tires. The engine's still strong and feels like it is still new.

I Missed Christmas twice. No Rent money
By BMW X'd Out!!!!! on 02/26/09 14:11 PM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I can't believe how great it is to drive... it's completely the best handling S.U.V. The day I got it the check engine light was on then the Trans went for a $4,000 job. The rear light fixture had to be replaced rusted. The oil pan drain bolt stripped & was replaced for $600. Alternator was $750. Window Relay was $300. Left-Front wheel bearing $381. Air hoses and M.A.F $854. Now to things I haven't got to yet. All Rear Upper & Lower Control Arms $2,200. Steering Shaft $800. Check Engine Light Still On & can't get Inspection. Already had a Fail-Pass Inspection & can't do it again. My shop gets mad when they see me because of the many problems. This X5 has messed up my life... be scared.

Fun to drive? Yes; Plenty of Problems? YES
By erchel on 01/22/09 10:32 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in 2001. Put about 25K miles a year on it, 50/50 highway/local. Great car to drive! BUT nothing but problems - windows stick; doors freeze in cold weather, try driving with your left hand holding the door closed because it won't lock, or try getting in on the passenger side and climbing over into the driver's seat. Then there's the engine - twice in very cold weather something went wrong with the oil exchanger/valve? Car makes loud noise then plumes of black smoke emerge from the exhaust, dash & front grille. The first time BMW took care of it out of warranty - this time we're waiting to hear. Should be a recall item.

Proud owner of an X5
By BMW guy on 01/06/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE this "SAV." It's my third BMW. After owning a 325i and than a 330i, I was very resistant on getting an suv, it all went away after driving it. I love the performance, and its only the 6 cylinder! It handles great, the exterior is beautiful, and it very reliable. This is WAY batter than Mercedes' ML class that I test drove. The best thing of all, after 120,000 miles, it still drives like I just drove off the lot.