Used 2000 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

2000 BMW X5

4.4i 4.4L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (13 reviews )

Stay Away
By Chris Shibley

2000 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my very clean and well maintained X5 used about 2 years ago for about $7K. After a few thousand spent on the regular stuff, the timing chain guides disintegrated. After one year in the shop and a $7K repair bill it is still running rough and un-driveable. It has 118K on it and has been well kept. My first biggest mistake was buying it and my second biggest was paying to fix it thinking I would have a re-built ride. Don't be seduced by the comfort and fit/trim/etc. These things are a ticking time-bomb. I sort-of enjoyed it for 11 months after buying it even though it was a bit fussy with little stuff during that time. Basically that breaks down to $1300 per month that I spent on that disaster of an experience. Also, don't be fooled by the appearance of more than one star as a summary of this review because I had to give credit for comfort, etc. None of that is good enough to overcome the massive expense of timing chain failure.

Worst car or truck I have ever owned!
By tomwillard

2000 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned 6 different 3s and bought the suv for my wife because she wanted a suv.
I have had good luck with my other BMWs but this X5 was the worst thing I have ever owned. It does have power and does drive more like a sports car then a suv but the thing was the worst built car I have ever owned. Everything that could go wrong has.
I had a few friends that worked at the dealership and they told me they are junk but I already had purchased it and was stuck with it. After I started having problems I did some googleing and found tht everyone has the same problems. I am
about to post it on craigslist for parts. I will never own another BMW. Crappy service too.

The power

GET INSURANCE AND DRIVE IT OFF A CLIFF!!!

2000 BMW X5 4.4i AWD Automatic
By X5 Fan

2000 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD

Finish and quality of materials is first class. Performance is awesome! It handles in curves like any other BMW X5 or X6.

Beautiful ride, handling is great, performance tops it all.

BMW X5 Review
By Bpruett

2000 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD

This has been a very good car. It now has 120000 miles. The only thing other than reg maint was the transfer case/transaxle was replaced at about 75000 miles. This wasn't under complete warr. BMW shared the cost even though strict maint had been documented. At 117000, I installed a new alternator . It cost 350.00 which was a deal compared to the 750.00 that BMW wanted. I did the labor myself. I repair cars for a living so I keep very good maint schedules on my stuff.

Fuel mileage is 15-21 MPG

Best Vehicle ever owned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By xmanlos

The BMW X5 is attractrive not only
for it's safety features but it
perfomance. My X5 is scary fast still
drives like new and I have never ever
had a mechanical issue. I will drive
this car as long as I could.

Everything. Mine is loaded.

BMW don't change a thing.