Middle of all Things
By waltercho on
2012 BMW X5 M 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)
X5M is not a SUV, Not a sports car and not a family car. Then what is it? It is a mix of everything, in another words, it is not great for any of them and it is not bad for all of them. Well, depends on the situation. It is not the greatest sports car, it is a useless SUV and it is a terrible family car. Why did I buy it? I guess I am in blind love with BMW M division. Fuel Economy is terrible but if you have to look at those figures, this is not the car for you. My family hates this car for its stiff ride and noisy interior, but Nevertheless, I love driving this car more than my Porsche 911, my Infiniti QX56 and definitely my wife's Toyota Sienna.
Favorite Features
The best part about this car is the performance. This car is excellent cruiser, streetracer. It can outrun cheaper Porsche 911s and other sports cars. 0-60 sprints were never the strong suite for BMWs but this car can outrun any opponents. Handling is great. I've owned all series of BMWs and all of M cars, and this car's handling is among better of the bunch. Automatic transmission could have been the turn-off point of this car in the era of Dual clutch. But when my dealer offered me to take an extended test drive of a used X5M. I could have almost sworn this car had the MDCT transmission. Fast, smooth and seemless shifts are among the Pros for this car's performance.
Suggested Improvements
Build quality is the worst I've seen of BMW. Perhaps because this car is built in USA. The doors rattled from the first day, Door cover wants to come off when I pull to close the door, rear seats rattles and shakes like as if this car has 200,000 miles on it. The Interior is still old looking compared to my other car F02 750Li. It is awkward because my 750 came out before the launch of the X5M. The key system is still old fashioned insert type from the E60 era. Unlike majority opinion, I think the first IDrive was a very intuitive system. Of course the magazines will claim it is bad because they did not get a chance to get used to it. Longest experience they probably have is few hours