2016 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Not for everyone
By Ray A.

2016 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

There are a lot a good features about the BMW X3, but overall if I had the decision to make all over again I would choose something else.

First the good things.
1) The power from the 3.0L turbo is very good. It is refined and the transmission shifts smoothly.
2) The active stop and go cruise control is worth the extra cost. When you are sitting stop and go traffic it is a wonderful feature.
3) Back seats and cargo capacity are very good for this class of SUV.
4) I-Drive is easy to use once you get the hang of it.
5) Heads up display is a great feature. I have it on another car and think more vehicles should have this as an option.

Now for the things that I am disappointed with after having this BMW for a few months.

1) The upgraded Harmon Kardon system sounds just OK. I had a Harmon system in a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and it rocked in comparison to this system. At louder volume levels the sound is a bit harsh.

2) The keyless entry system can be a bit flakey. With the key in my pocket I have issues opening and locking the door. I have to take the key out of my pocket to make it work. I don't have this issue on my GM with a keyless system. Plus for a vehicle of this price point, I think its kind of cheap to not have them on the rear doors too.

3) Both rear tail lights have flaws from the molding process. I have looked at others and you can barely see the injection points in the lens, but mine stand out like sore thumb. They look like white dots on the tail lights. The dealer says they are in spec. Again for the price of these SUV's is seams these could be made better.

4) Went I got it I thought the interior was nice and was fitting of the luxury brand. But over time, some the materials feel cheep. Even with upgraded leather, the ruff texture makes it feel like fake leather. It was not until I got in my friends new Cadillac XT5 did I really notice the difference. The Cadillac is light years ahead on interior quality. I can feel the ruff seam on the top and bottom of the turn signal stalk where the two pieces of plastic meet.

5) No vented front seats and power tilt/telescoping wheel. A miss on this class and price point.

6) Auto Start/Stop is poorly programmed. Many times it stops the moment you stop. There should be a couple of seconds delay. When coming to a stop sign or switching gears while pulling into a parking space, I have had the engine shut off just to restart again while it was shutting off. Then there are times when you think it should shut off and it does not. I have stopped and put it into park and it won't shut off. The only plus is you can disable the feature. I highly recommend this if you have the A/C on.

7) Front parking sensors are slow to engage. Don't pull up to something quickly and expect them to be active.

8) Having to hit the Start/Stop button twice to shut everything off is annoying. Once to stop the engine the second time to turn off accessories. If you don't the accessories stay on even after you open the door. It will timeout once you have locked the door, but I don't trust it. You should only have to hit it once to turn the engine off. Then when you open the drivers door it shuts off the accessories.

9) It was not until I a took a long trip and my left leg started falling asleep how bad the comfort is on the bottom of the front seats. They are not good. The cushion is too short on the front and sides.

10) Just got the recall notice about the rear child safety seat anchor. Give this vehicle is been on the market for a while I am surprised that this has come up this late in the product cycle. What concerns me how they have to fix this. They need to remove the rear seats and carpet, send it out a body shop to have a support bracket welded in. Not liking the sound of welding something in a brand new vehicle.

***UPDATE***
I traded the BMW in after 6 months. When you spend this kinda money on a car and are not happy with it you need to go with something else. The something else is a 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport with under 25K miles. This is an amazing car. Can't wait to get into it each day and drive. This is what a luxury car should be.

Fantastic Driving Experience
By Debby

2016 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Visibility is so good. The overhead camera is fab for letting you know when you are in garage/parking space! We drove from tn to Florida and experienced no stiffness. Love the leg extender in the msport.

Good SUV for the money
By John

2016 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Overall a very good SUV. The right size when you are limited by the parking space. Got basic xDrive28, just added leather, camera and 19" wheels.

Unfortunately the car is missing some basic options in base trim as for that price. I understand that you can get all that as packages, but then price will jump too high:
1) LED/HID headlamps
2) Intelligent key less entry (when you just touch the door handler).
3) No lambda on front seats. Even headrest is only up-down now (used to be 4-way adjustable, it's still 4-way adjustable in 3-series in base trim) . I'm lucky the seat is comfortable for me, but you don't know until drove a long distance. Test drive won't show that.
4) Blind-spot detectors.

Other considerations:
1) You will not like electric steering at least for a few weeks if you used to old-school BMW with power steering (I guess prior to 2012). After all it's not bad but definitely gives less steering feeling.
2) I still don't like sound of turbo-4. However it drives good, with adequate acceleration and fast shifting. And it doesn't loose power on high-way speeds.

Complaints - I had certain lease issues with the dealership. Unfortunate BMW customers service didn't help me. I constantly was redirected between BMW and the dealership. I have to rate the BMW customers service as the worst I had to deal with.

Very very nice car
By N Rosha

2016 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Put on about 8700 miles so far. It is such a pleasure to drive. Our other car is a 2010 Acura RDX, and while it isn't completely fair to compare the two due to age difference, it is amazing how much more fun it is to drive the X3. The car handles like a dream, cornering is a blast. The acceleration is good but maybe a little too many gears for my taste. Build quality seems great. The interior is very lovely. We got all the bells and whistles - favorite parts are the blind spot notification (which causes the steering wheel to shake when a car is in a blind spot and the turn signal is activated) and the overhead view that makes parking a total joy. I HIGHLY recommend getting the overhead view add-on(friends are totally blown away when showing them this feature - it looks like a drone is flying over the car sending the video so you can see the parking spot lines)

Car is expensive, sure...iDrive system blows, sure... but good golly is it a joy to drive.

Likes:
Cornering
acceleration
Interior design
Exterior looks(xline package)
Technology(driver assistance packages)

Dislikes:
iDrive system - not fun to use - wife hates it - I would rather have touchscreen
Rear seats don't fold flat limiting cargo space
I wish there was an option to have the idlestop feature wait a second or two before shutting the car off - for when making left turns where you only have to wait a split second
Would also like the ability to make the ECO PRO mode be the default. Having to turn it on every time you start the car is downright silly.

So far so great!
By NCUltraRunner

2016 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I was considering the Audi Q5, Lexus NX200t and Range Rover Evoque before deciding on the BMW X3. I was almost seduced by the Evoque, but reading all of the owner horror stories scared me away. I took delivery of my X3 in December 2015 and have already put about 7500 miles on the vehicle. Thus far, the X3 has performed flawlessly and has not disappointed! Initial build quality appears to be worthy of the price tag.

I've found the xDrive system to work very well on the road during inclement weather (heavy rain, light snow), although I did not have to put it to the test in deep snow. I do not have the Dynamic Handling Package, but given how well the X3 handles the road without it, I'm not really sure how much of a difference I might notice with it. I've read other reviews where some felt the ride was too harsh, but I don't share that opinion, although I do like to feel the road perhaps more than some might. The vehicle handles and accelerates so smoothly perhaps with the exception of the auto start/stop feature which can be noticeable at times. I leave it in the "Comfort" drive mode most of the time. I put it in "Sport" mode, when merging onto a freeway or needing to get through busy intersections when I need the extra burst of acceleration. I rarely use ECO Mode. I've found the gas mileage between ECO and Comfort to be relatively negligible and the gearing is just too dulled down for my liking in ECO mode. I've been averaging just over 23 miles per gallon for which probably 75% of my miles are highway.

I find the interior of the X3 to be nicely appointed and up to standards of fit and finish for the class of vehicle. I find the seating to be comfortable and the climate control system to work very well. The Infotainment system menu is fairly intuitive and with a little playing around with it, you should be able to figure out most of the functions and settings in relatively short order. The iDrive controller is easy to use to navigate the control panel, but some of the buttons on the passenger side of the controller are hard to see from the driver's seat. The one function I haven't really used much is the voice command system, so I can't really comment to how accurately it works. The buttons and controls on the dashboard and steering wheel all seem to be well placed with proper tactile feel.

In my opinion, there are a few "must" have packages to avoid buyer's remorse:
* xLine or M Sport Package: I think either of those significantly enhance the aesthetics of the vehicle. I went with the xLine. I'm happy with it, but wish the Sport Seats that you get with the M Sport package was an available option.
* Lighting Package: Recommend going with either the Xenon or Full LED. Either the Xenon or LED seem to throw a much brighter light and I personally think they look much better than the yellowish Halogens. I opted for the Xenon lights and am very happy with them.
* Dual-Pane Moonroof (either as standalone option or part of the Premium Package). About as close to the convertible feel as you can get.

As far as the other options go, I opted the following: Premium package, Technology package, Driver Assistance package, Driver Assistance Plus, Harman Kardon Sound System and Heated Front Seats. Unfortunately, in order to get certain features, you have to opt for entire packages. For example, if you want Lumbar Support on the front seat, you have to get the Premium package. If you want the Head Up display, you have to get the Technology package. The safety features are spread out between the Driver Assistance Package and Driver Assistance Plus. If you only want rear view camera and parking sensors, you can just opt for the Driver Assistance package. However, of all the available safety features, Active Blind Spot detection was most important to me so I had to select the Driver Assistance Plus package which also requires you to select the Driver Assistance package. I've found the surround view camera feature that is part of the Driver Assistance Plus package to be very useful as well. I'm hardly an audiophile, but the HK sound system sounds good to my ears. The Heated Front seats have 3 settings and heat up quickly.

There are a few features missing that I would have liked to see available on the X3:
* Full size spare or at least a temporary spare. This is my biggest gripe. My X3 came with run flats. There is no hole in the cargo area for any type of spare nor under the vehicle. I've seen aftermarket temporary spares available, but unless you put it on your roof rack, you have to put it in the rear cargo area which then leaves you with little cargo room.
* Cooled front seats. I have black Nevada leather and would really have liked the option to have cooled front seats for the hot weather.
* Auto-Folding Side Mirrors. The side mirrors do fold with the press of a button on the driver's side door, but why not fold automatically when the vehicle is turned off?