Used 2014 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Blue Water baby
By K Faughn

2014 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This x3 is an agile and fun ride. Zero to 70 mph in seconds, quiet even after rattling around farm to market roads with farm or remodeling supplies. The color is very nice and even when I might exceed the posted speeds, no tickets so I am (tongue in cheek) thinking it is stealthy too! It is very cool looking and I've had lots of positive comments from both men and women so not much of a "chick ride" in my opinion. Only drawback is the built in safety feature that I dislike... If the driver or front seat passenger doesn't hit the unlock button positioned dead center of the dashboard then your passengers must "double tap" the door handles to open, which roughly translates to them trying to jerk the darn things off of the doors even if you remind them repeatedly!!! I wish that feature could be disabled but my service advisor tells me it can't.

Love averything but the tires
By C Miles

2014 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had this X3 for 2 years and love everything about it except the "run flat" nitrogen filled tires. Twice a year ALL my tires show low tire warning with the temperature change. I live 25 miles form the dealership, so it is a little disconcerting. The dealership ALWAYS takes care of it timely as long as they are open. That is my only complaint on the entire car. I love the comfort and convenience of everything on the inside. The headlights are amazing as I live outside the city and drive on long roads that I need to see the sides of the roads for deer etc, and a long way in front for any hazards. The mileage is great for the size of the engine I chose, which I love. Great pickup and great handling.

Plenty of power and plenty of fun.
By okruss@sbcglobal.net

2014 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I recently bought a loaded, low-mileage, certified pre-owned 2014 X3 with the 4 cylinder turbo engine. I was concerned that the 4 cylinder engine would be short on performance. But, that is not the case at all. The car gets up and goes, especially when it's in Sport mode. You don't need the bigger 6 cylinder engine to have fun in this vehicle. I have taken my X3 up into the mountains along with 2 passengers and luggage. It went up the mountain without breaking a sweat. The turbo powered engine along with the 8-speed transmission works flawlessly and always keeps the X3 it's toes. Plus, the handling is amazing. I have owned some sporty coupes over the years, and this X3 feels just as sporty as any on them. I love it!

Very nice and quite expensive with options.
By Russ

2014 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I recently "test drove" a pre-owned 2014 X3. The dealer was very knowledgeable and we ended up driving about 15 miles during my drive. The car had 34K miles on it, yet it still looked new. The leather seats were in great shape. I have read some articles that mention a firm ride. I have been driving for 45 years and the X1 has one of the nicest (and sportiest) rides of the many vehicles I have driven. The ride was certainly not overly firm. In fact, it was downright fun. When the rear seats are folded, there is a surprising amount for room. If you want to have a little fun while driving your small SUV, this is the one to get. I just wish the new models weren't so expensive. Forty-five to fifty-five thousand is a lot of money for a small SUV, regardless of how nice it is. BTW: I did not reply to all of ratings because I did not have the opportunity to try all of them.

Great Compromise
By poppy42

2014 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

My wife wanted a mid size SUV which was NOT front wheel drive or front wheel biased.
This pretty much directed us to Audi Q5, BMW X3and Mercedes GLK350.
Each had its strong points, but the BMW X3 had the most useable space and no real negatives.
We're very happy with our decision. Ours was pretty well optioned and had the highest sticker price of the 3, but with USAA and BMW incentives, wound up the least expensive.
The base engine has plenty of zip and is reasonably fuel efficient (not quite up to EPA estimates, but still not bad).
It handles nicely on the road.
If I did not drive a Mercedes E350 Sport, I'm sure I would be more effusive in my praise of the X3.

After 2-1/2 years, my original review is still accurate. I have never had to take the car to the dealership except for routine maintenance. My wife is the principle driver and she loves the car--excellent visibility, crisp handling, super functionality. She uses the car typically as a "grocery getter", but on 4 trips of about 500 mi. each, the car performed flawlessly. We have had no second thoughts about this purchase.