Mileage overstated!
By woodsieco on
2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
My 6cyl 3 series averaged 28.4 mpg on the highway when traveling in the 80-85 mph range. The X3 is in the area of 18mpg. Now, if I slow down to 70 the mileage jumps up to 26+. Of course on the highways of AZ and CO where the limit is 75, traveling under the limit is somewhat risky as the normal flow is near 90. Overall I really like the X3, and I suppose 18 mpg on the highway for an all wheel drive isn't horrible, although my previous Explorer was over 20 mpg. Driving within normal limits I average 27.6 combined. I notice no difference in performance or MPG with different gas grades. So it seems as if the cheap stuff is just fine in the cool weather and mid-grade when it is warm out.
Favorite Features
The ability to have the satellite radio added after the fact with only a code entry. X drive The ride is awesome.
Suggested Improvements
Reverse the engine stop start feature to need to be turned on rather than turned off. I had the dealer deactivate the feature. Supply the trailer package as a standard feature. $1300 from the dealer is a bit steep. Do something to make the car turn off after a period of time if you leave with the key and the car is not moving. Forget the run flats on an SAV and put a spare tire in the boot or under the car. $400.00 tires and the chance of being stuck off road is terrifying.