Used 2013 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW X3

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

2nd review
By wittyj

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We now have about 12,000 miles on the X3. BEST utility vehicle I have ever owned. Fuel economy is right at 26.5 p tank. Have gotten as high as 32mpg when cautious? And this was obtained with mid grade. To date there are NO maint. Issues at all. Flawless vehicle and American made. Storm grey and oyster interior are cool in summer here in GA. As for the auto shut off....was rough at first but at about four thousand miles the process smoothed out totally. And it does help save fuel.

Favorite Features

As mentioned in the previous review the storage just left of the steering wheel fits a mid size 9mm. I like the run flats for the extra security when my wife has the car. We also have a 535i GT with run flats. The only people complaining about run flats are the children that write for the various car mags. For us real people they do a great job of convenience and protection.

Suggested Improvements

Better sun visors, darker tint on the windows......that's about it. And when you order your new X3.....pick it up at the factory. That is a wonderful experience. W are going back for a third time in July of this year. WELL WORTH your time and I guarantee you will learn and love it.

Engine, engine, and engine, but that's all.
By acurafan3

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Drove BMW 328i for 5 years, now X3 35i. The engine is just amazing! Great acceleration. 8 speed transmission is so smooth that you can only tell changing gears by the exhaust note. Praised by many reviewers as "Fun to drive", "drive like a car", maybe true compare to other SUV, but it's not even close comparing to 3-series sedan. The 328i feels like it's glued to the road and have this solid damping of road roughness, but the X3 is wobbly and makes you feel every little bump. but to be fair, that's the case for all SUVs. I guess that's what you have to give up for a more practical suv.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission; USB inside the center console, play music from flash drive; Kids like the huge sunroof;

Suggested Improvements

Hard on/off switch of auto start/off; Power plug right next to cup holder, really? Two inner headlights are fake, what's that?

WOW sports car with a back pack!
By msbeanz

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought this in alpine white on black and I call it my new spaceship. I also test drove the 3L engine but the 2L seemed lighter and much more responsive, not to mention for '13 both models have the same horsepower and torque! I traded in a Nissan Juke which was truly just a joke, super small, not safe, tiny 9 gal gas tank, no hatch space for a big grocery trip unless you put both rear seats down etc.. so this was a giant upgrade with absolutely no regrets!!! I wasnt a huge fan of run flats due to their cost if you even run over a nail, but i'm starting to be a fan of how thick they are for any bumps in the road, you feel practically nothing! To assure myself, I bought the extra tire warranty.

Favorite Features

Back up camera and sensors, mirrors fold in with one button ( otherwise I wouldnt fit into my garage) panoramic sun roof! wow cant wait for my baby to be born and check that out! Good size gas tank, all the safety features, and just plain weight and build of the body, they know how to make a strong sturdy machine. Run flats are very dense so you feel hardly any bumps or holes in the road. I love that you can play with the nav or go on the internet while driving, most cars only let you while you are stopped. Great entertainment for my hubby while I drive :)

Suggested Improvements

The start/stop function is interesting to say the least, have to still get used to it. Thankfully it has an off button should I get tired of it, but you have to press it every time you start the car to turn this function off. My suggestion would be to have it shut off at 5sec not 3sec, but it does save gas if you can handle the slight jerk every time before you accelerate. Why the unlock button is in the middle of the dash is odd since the rest of the door/window buttons are on the side panel. The shifter is also something to get used to, to park you press a button, same for the E brake. Not all models come with key less entry! What a shame BMW! No Sirius/XM either! really for 48K? come on!

Expensive, but you get what you pay for
By tostig

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Traded in my old 2003 BMW X5 for a shiny new 2013 BMW X3 28i. It doesn't have quite the build quality of the X5, but on the other hand, doesn't cost $80,000 either. Road feel, handling, steering, and general sportiness/fun are outstanding. The 28i 4 cyllinder turbo is surprisingly powerful and capable. Absolutely love the interior and all the tech gadgets (sat nav, bluetooth, large computer screen, whole music library on hard disk, etc etc). Very upscale appointments and nice touches throughout. Kind of a cross between an SUV and a sport sedan, for those who want both and are willing to pay a premium to have them both embodied within the same vehicle.

Favorite Features

Road feel - that solid, planted, quality feeling that's hard to describe. Steering. Surprisingly great mileage (I'm getting 30 highway in this heavy crossover - very happy about that). Interior appointments.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise is pretty high over 50 mph in mine, could really use some more sound insulation. Some of the tech only works with iPhone and not with Android. There's some quirkiness with where the switches are located - the trunk opener is near the floor and very hard to reach from the driver's seat. Other than that, it's pretty much great all around. I would buy it again, and would recommend it to any friend. You do get what you pay for.

Wish I hadn't bought this car
By missmyscout

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I "upgraded" from a Volvo XC90 2.0T to a BMW X3 because I wanted something, smaller, zippier, and with modern electronics (bluetooth, ipod interface, & nav). Well, I did get smaller. Prefer my old Volvo or my husband's new Subaru Outback. Not pleased with: Back hatch doesn't not close well - half the time I get a message that the back hatch is open after I close it with the push button. Electronics are "fussy" to use - you can use the joystick on the center console to go to radio or ipod, but you still need to turn the sound knob on the dash to "on". Why two steps? And why does BMW make "Park" a separate button on the transmission stick from Reverse & Drive? TG it's a lease.

Favorite Features

- live traffic with Nav - peace of mind with BMW assistance (like OnStar) - size is great - smaller SUV with functionality of bigger car

Suggested Improvements

- Ride is very bouncy for a luxury car - I like some "feel of the road", but this is oddly springy and bouncy. - Seats are not great for a tall person - top back of the seat curves forward and hits my shoulderblades pushing me forward into a hunched person. - Media & Radio are displayed on the view screen separately for sound - still need to turn on sound knob on dash when you switch over by joystick on center console. Why two steps? - Why a two step "off" button? Worried I am going to leave the car running