2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Nice but very fragile
By ngrigoriev

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

In 5 months after buying it I had to visit the dealership more times than in 4 years with my Mitsubishi Outlander! Something is constantly wrong with this car. But the last drop was it failed to start for the second time when it was cold outside, after(!) half of the trip to the school with the baby! I am no longer planning to keep it as it is simply unreliable. Yes, it gets fixed for free but what about my time and the inconvenience? Now it is sitting at the dealership and will be there for 2 weeks until they get a part, I am driving the loaner :(

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission - excellent. Interior, seats - very nice. Steering - I like it, some people seem not to.

Suggested Improvements

Just making the car as reliable as Toyota (just using an example) would be a good start. Who needs all these fancy things if you get stuck in -26C outside with BMW Roadside Assistance not responding because they are overloaded? Also the quality of the software and navigation system is way below my expectations, it is very outdated. Especially the NAV system.

Love My Ride
By drkcollins

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I looked at and drove nearly every car and SUV out there. When I drove the X3 35i I felt 'at home.' Also drove the 28i but even with the Turbo, didn't have the torque I'm used to. The 35i put a smile on my face! Performance, comfort, gas mileage, not to mention the sleek classy look. What more can you ask for?

Favorite Features

Great looking vehicle. Take some time to get familiar with the gizmos and gadgets. Takes a bit but once you're used to it there'd no going back. Love the hard drive. The black leather heated front and back seats are beautiful and extremely comfortable for long drives. I'm astounded with the good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a bigger clock.

Too many trips to dealership!
By gaislandsguy

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's a nice vehicle, if I didn't have to drive 45 minutes to dealership to get it fixed, on a regular basis. Yes, there is a closer dealership, but they tried to sell me an "executive car" for $3K off sticker. When I asked for car fax they baulked. It had been in a rear end accident! I only found out because I asked for Carfax! Anyway back to X3. It's pretty. And it's nice to drive. Holds road well. Handles great.

Favorite Features

I loved that I picked it up at the factory! Great experience! Loved the Performance Delivery at factory. GREAT hideaway hitch!!! Love topdown cameras under outside mirrors. Really like backup turning radius guides. Like the status of driving BMW.

Suggested Improvements

Keyless entry, right now it's waiting to be picked up cause keyless entry isn't working Bluetooth audio streaming stopped working this weekend too. Month ago the air intake on the Turbo popped off while driving. It took the car about 5 min to put up a warning light,I knew it right away cause loud sound it made. Problem was bad clamp, dealership said I could drive it till I got home, even though warning lights came on. 2 wheels been replaced-sealer bubbling off. Bluetooth issues when it comes to having 2 iPhones paired (even though two different keyfobs are used (that was when new). Very touchy accelerator from stop.Battery went dead at 13mths. not locking it was prob-need to press stop twice

Reliability , reliability , reliability .....
By mo78

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's shocking that BMW can't make reliable car for the money they charge. This wk will be my fourth visit to the dealership for drivers restraint malfunction . They don't seem to know whats going on with this car . I have seen similar reliability reviews and I just wonder in the engineers at BMW read them !!!!!!! It's also statistically higher than other competitors or Japanese cars.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Reliability !!!!! Very disappointing ! I think I will switch to Acura or Lexus

2nd review

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We now have about 12,000 miles on the X3. BEST utility vehicle I have ever owned. Fuel economy is right at 26.5 p tank. Have gotten as high as 32mpg when cautious? And this was obtained with mid grade. To date there are NO maint. Issues at all. Flawless vehicle and American made. Storm grey and oyster interior are cool in summer here in GA. As for the auto shut off....was rough at first but at about four thousand miles the process smoothed out totally. And it does help save fuel.

Favorite Features

As mentioned in the previous review the storage just left of the steering wheel fits a mid size 9mm. I like the run flats for the extra security when my wife has the car. We also have a 535i GT with run flats. The only people complaining about run flats are the children that write for the various car mags. For us real people they do a great job of convenience and protection.

Suggested Improvements

Better sun visors, darker tint on the windows......that's about it. And when you order your new X3.....pick it up at the factory. That is a wonderful experience. W are going back for a third time in July of this year. WELL WORTH your time and I guarantee you will learn and love it.

Engine, engine, and engine, but that's all.
By acurafan3

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Drove BMW 328i for 5 years, now X3 35i. The engine is just amazing! Great acceleration. 8 speed transmission is so smooth that you can only tell changing gears by the exhaust note. Praised by many reviewers as "Fun to drive", "drive like a car", maybe true compare to other SUV, but it's not even close comparing to 3-series sedan. The 328i feels like it's glued to the road and have this solid damping of road roughness, but the X3 is wobbly and makes you feel every little bump. but to be fair, that's the case for all SUVs. I guess that's what you have to give up for a more practical suv.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission; USB inside the center console, play music from flash drive; Kids like the huge sunroof;

Suggested Improvements

Hard on/off switch of auto start/off; Power plug right next to cup holder, really? Two inner headlights are fake, what's that?

BMW X3 35i

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

superb SUV. Acceleration and handling are great. I have about 6000 miles in 4 months and love every mile. We get 26+ miles per tank....every tank. Pure hiway will get 29. This car is comfortable, reliable, economical, fast and very useful in everyday life. VERY easy to get in and out of. Seats are supportive and comfortable. Great cargo area with easy access. Good hidden storage also. I love this "truck". Bottom line.........I recommend this vehicle to all in the market for a midsize SUV.

Favorite Features

The engine, transmission combination is superb. Responsiveness and economy superb. Ergonomics are among the best ever.

Suggested Improvements

May I suggest Better/Bigger sun visors. How about dual visors so we can cover side window as well as front. Please....this is my third BMW and all have tiny, inadequate visors.

Best mid size SUV available.

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Have owned two Tahoes, an X5, and still have a BMW GT 535 and love it. Took delivery of my X3 two months ago. It was delivered in perfect condition by Athens BMW. We have put 2500 mile on the car and average right at 26 per tank. Thats about 1/3 city driving. This SUV is QUICK and with sport sedan handling. The seats are great and visability outstanding. The 8 speed is flexible and always goes to the right gear for optimum passing and handling. My golf bag fits w/o having to put seats down. Luggage space is plentiful and with easy access. Engine runs fine on mid grade. Plenty of storage space for driver and pass. The covered storage just left of the steering wheel holds a small 9mm perfectly

Favorite Features

engine transmission combination is awesome. Minimum exposure time when having to pass on rural roads. Headlights are great. The size of this vehicle is just right. Best feature.....ease of entry and exit. Seat height from ground is perfect. Just turn, put your foot down and stand up. Entry is easier than the X5. I drive is much better than earlir BMW's. Intuitive and easy to use. This is indeed the perfect size vehicle. Tested both the 4 cyl. and the 6. Had to have the six. Performance is awesome and fuel economy is very acceptable.

Suggested Improvements

Sun visors are a bit wimpy. They will not cover the side window sufficiently as they do not pull out. They barely cover the front window. Suggest a double visor with the top one being adjustable. Thats about it. This is one very nice mid size SAV/SUV. We drove the GL/ML/GLK/Q5/Tourag, etc. kept coming back to the BMW. You will like it.

ALMOST Perfect SUV
By el168

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

First of all, the most annoying feature of this car is the automatic engine shut off! It shuts off the engine when you stop unless you disable it. This is very annoying and will probably destroy your starter if you keep using it to "save" some gas. My brand new 2013 X335 has scratches on the paint and had to be repainted. The glass had some scratches too. Overall, my 5 series from Germany was flawless when I got it. Must be poor worksmanship from USA factory.

Favorite Features

Acceleration 300HP twin turbo!!!! Excellent power and handling. Get the M3 sports package if you are buying this car, you wont regret it!

Suggested Improvements

Get RID of automatic engine shut-off Better quality paint from USA factory, better quality control

The best of all worlds.
By jeremydb22

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

So, I will preface this by saying this is my first car review. I have owned a few X5s, X6, and X6M. All were fun, and all had purpose... but none were as all around great as the 2013 X3 35i. The engine is a blast and being attached to the perfect size chassis just tops it all off. There is enough room to haul what you need, without being overly large. The back seat room is awesome for such a compact SUV. Having a 3 series a few years ago, this feels quite similar but with more utility. I was hesitant when I ordered it, but I have no regrets now. I challenge you to drive the competitors and find one that is better all-around.

Favorite Features

Fantastic engine, sports car handling, awesome technology, modern style, comfortable sport seats, just the right utility.

Suggested Improvements

If I had to pick something... the fact that they don't include comfort access handles on the back doors. Yeah, not a big deal, but an odd place to save cost compared to the X5/X6.