Used 2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Nice but very fragile
By ngrigoriev

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

In 5 months after buying it I had to visit the dealership more times than in 4 years with my Mitsubishi Outlander! Something is constantly wrong with this car. But the last drop was it failed to start for the second time when it was cold outside, after(!) half of the trip to the school with the baby! I am no longer planning to keep it as it is simply unreliable. Yes, it gets fixed for free but what about my time and the inconvenience? Now it is sitting at the dealership and will be there for 2 weeks until they get a part, I am driving the loaner :(

Engine, transmission - excellent. Interior, seats - very nice. Steering - I like it, some people seem not to.

Just making the car as reliable as Toyota (just using an example) would be a good start. Who needs all these fancy things if you get stuck in -26C outside with BMW Roadside Assistance not responding because they are overloaded? Also the quality of the software and navigation system is way below my expectations, it is very outdated. Especially the NAV system.

Love My Ride
By drkcollins

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I looked at and drove nearly every car and SUV out there. When I drove the X3 35i I felt 'at home.' Also drove the 28i but even with the Turbo, didn't have the torque I'm used to. The 35i put a smile on my face! Performance, comfort, gas mileage, not to mention the sleek classy look. What more can you ask for?

Great looking vehicle. Take some time to get familiar with the gizmos and gadgets. Takes a bit but once you're used to it there'd no going back. Love the hard drive. The black leather heated front and back seats are beautiful and extremely comfortable for long drives. I'm astounded with the good gas mileage.

Needs a bigger clock.

Too many trips to dealership!
By gaislandsguy

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's a nice vehicle, if I didn't have to drive 45 minutes to dealership to get it fixed, on a regular basis. Yes, there is a closer dealership, but they tried to sell me an "executive car" for $3K off sticker. When I asked for car fax they baulked. It had been in a rear end accident! I only found out because I asked for Carfax! Anyway back to X3. It's pretty. And it's nice to drive. Holds road well. Handles great.

I loved that I picked it up at the factory! Great experience! Loved the Performance Delivery at factory. GREAT hideaway hitch!!! Love topdown cameras under outside mirrors. Really like backup turning radius guides. Like the status of driving BMW.

Keyless entry, right now it's waiting to be picked up cause keyless entry isn't working Bluetooth audio streaming stopped working this weekend too. Month ago the air intake on the Turbo popped off while driving. It took the car about 5 min to put up a warning light,I knew it right away cause loud sound it made. Problem was bad clamp, dealership said I could drive it till I got home, even though warning lights came on. 2 wheels been replaced-sealer bubbling off. Bluetooth issues when it comes to having 2 iPhones paired (even though two different keyfobs are used (that was when new). Very touchy accelerator from stop.Battery went dead at 13mths. not locking it was prob-need to press stop twice

Reliability , reliability , reliability .....
By mo78

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's shocking that BMW can't make reliable car for the money they charge. This wk will be my fourth visit to the dealership for drivers restraint malfunction . They don't seem to know whats going on with this car . I have seen similar reliability reviews and I just wonder in the engineers at BMW read them !!!!!!! It's also statistically higher than other competitors or Japanese cars.

Fun to drive

Reliability !!!!! Very disappointing ! I think I will switch to Acura or Lexus

2nd review
By wittyj

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We now have about 12,000 miles on the X3. BEST utility vehicle I have ever owned. Fuel economy is right at 26.5 p tank. Have gotten as high as 32mpg when cautious? And this was obtained with mid grade. To date there are NO maint. Issues at all. Flawless vehicle and American made. Storm grey and oyster interior are cool in summer here in GA. As for the auto shut off....was rough at first but at about four thousand miles the process smoothed out totally. And it does help save fuel.

As mentioned in the previous review the storage just left of the steering wheel fits a mid size 9mm. I like the run flats for the extra security when my wife has the car. We also have a 535i GT with run flats. The only people complaining about run flats are the children that write for the various car mags. For us real people they do a great job of convenience and protection.

Better sun visors, darker tint on the windows......that's about it. And when you order your new X3.....pick it up at the factory. That is a wonderful experience. W are going back for a third time in July of this year. WELL WORTH your time and I guarantee you will learn and love it.