Used 2013 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Most Helpful|
WOW sports car with a back pack!
By msbeanz

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought this in alpine white on black and I call it my new spaceship. I also test drove the 3L engine but the 2L seemed lighter and much more responsive, not to mention for '13 both models have the same horsepower and torque! I traded in a Nissan Juke which was truly just a joke, super small, not safe, tiny 9 gal gas tank, no hatch space for a big grocery trip unless you put both rear seats down etc.. so this was a giant upgrade with absolutely no regrets!!! I wasnt a huge fan of run flats due to their cost if you even run over a nail, but i'm starting to be a fan of how thick they are for any bumps in the road, you feel practically nothing! To assure myself, I bought the extra tire warranty.

Favorite Features

Back up camera and sensors, mirrors fold in with one button ( otherwise I wouldnt fit into my garage) panoramic sun roof! wow cant wait for my baby to be born and check that out! Good size gas tank, all the safety features, and just plain weight and build of the body, they know how to make a strong sturdy machine. Run flats are very dense so you feel hardly any bumps or holes in the road. I love that you can play with the nav or go on the internet while driving, most cars only let you while you are stopped. Great entertainment for my hubby while I drive :)

Suggested Improvements

The start/stop function is interesting to say the least, have to still get used to it. Thankfully it has an off button should I get tired of it, but you have to press it every time you start the car to turn this function off. My suggestion would be to have it shut off at 5sec not 3sec, but it does save gas if you can handle the slight jerk every time before you accelerate. Why the unlock button is in the middle of the dash is odd since the rest of the door/window buttons are on the side panel. The shifter is also something to get used to, to park you press a button, same for the E brake. Not all models come with key less entry! What a shame BMW! No Sirius/XM either! really for 48K? come on!

Nice but very fragile
By ngrigoriev

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

In 5 months after buying it I had to visit the dealership more times than in 4 years with my Mitsubishi Outlander! Something is constantly wrong with this car. But the last drop was it failed to start for the second time when it was cold outside, after(!) half of the trip to the school with the baby! I am no longer planning to keep it as it is simply unreliable. Yes, it gets fixed for free but what about my time and the inconvenience? Now it is sitting at the dealership and will be there for 2 weeks until they get a part, I am driving the loaner :(

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission - excellent. Interior, seats - very nice. Steering - I like it, some people seem not to.

Suggested Improvements

Just making the car as reliable as Toyota (just using an example) would be a good start. Who needs all these fancy things if you get stuck in -26C outside with BMW Roadside Assistance not responding because they are overloaded? Also the quality of the software and navigation system is way below my expectations, it is very outdated. Especially the NAV system.

Mileage overstated!
By woodsieco

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

My 6cyl 3 series averaged 28.4 mpg on the highway when traveling in the 80-85 mph range. The X3 is in the area of 18mpg. Now, if I slow down to 70 the mileage jumps up to 26+. Of course on the highways of AZ and CO where the limit is 75, traveling under the limit is somewhat risky as the normal flow is near 90. Overall I really like the X3, and I suppose 18 mpg on the highway for an all wheel drive isn't horrible, although my previous Explorer was over 20 mpg. Driving within normal limits I average 27.6 combined. I notice no difference in performance or MPG with different gas grades. So it seems as if the cheap stuff is just fine in the cool weather and mid-grade when it is warm out.

Favorite Features

The ability to have the satellite radio added after the fact with only a code entry. X drive The ride is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Reverse the engine stop start feature to need to be turned on rather than turned off. I had the dealer deactivate the feature. Supply the trailer package as a standard feature. $1300 from the dealer is a bit steep. Do something to make the car turn off after a period of time if you leave with the key and the car is not moving. Forget the run flats on an SAV and put a spare tire in the boot or under the car. $400.00 tires and the chance of being stuck off road is terrifying.

Too many trips to dealership!
By gaislandsguy

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's a nice vehicle, if I didn't have to drive 45 minutes to dealership to get it fixed, on a regular basis. Yes, there is a closer dealership, but they tried to sell me an "executive car" for $3K off sticker. When I asked for car fax they baulked. It had been in a rear end accident! I only found out because I asked for Carfax! Anyway back to X3. It's pretty. And it's nice to drive. Holds road well. Handles great.

Favorite Features

I loved that I picked it up at the factory! Great experience! Loved the Performance Delivery at factory. GREAT hideaway hitch!!! Love topdown cameras under outside mirrors. Really like backup turning radius guides. Like the status of driving BMW.

Suggested Improvements

Keyless entry, right now it's waiting to be picked up cause keyless entry isn't working Bluetooth audio streaming stopped working this weekend too. Month ago the air intake on the Turbo popped off while driving. It took the car about 5 min to put up a warning light,I knew it right away cause loud sound it made. Problem was bad clamp, dealership said I could drive it till I got home, even though warning lights came on. 2 wheels been replaced-sealer bubbling off. Bluetooth issues when it comes to having 2 iPhones paired (even though two different keyfobs are used (that was when new). Very touchy accelerator from stop.Battery went dead at 13mths. not locking it was prob-need to press stop twice

Loving the X3
By clayewi

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had four successive 5 series wagons. Sadly, BMW doesn't bring them to the states so I had to really consider what to get next. The X1 was TINY and just didn't feel like a BMW to me. Without question my last 5 had a more luxurious interior, but that's expected. The X3 has a much nicer interior than the current 3 series. The screen is IN the dash where it should be, not sticking up like a design afterthought. The engine/transmission combo is amazing; very quick and agile. It doesn't handle like a car, but much better than other SUV's. The tech package is very nicely done. Gas mileage is really good for the size. The car feels much lighter than my 5 wagon, much faster though.

Favorite Features

Overall design is elegant yet practical. Plenty of space for everyone and everything. Excellent interior ergonomics. Elegant interior layout. Rear and Top View cameras really help. Thoughtful cargo area design. Outstanding iDrive features - much improved. Blueteooth audio is seamless. Heated seats and steering wheel are excellent - nice and hot! Large sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats/headrests have an odd forward lean at top. Can't tilt headrest back. Although a lot quieter than a 328i, it could be quieter. Body roll is more than I like, but that's largely because I like cars, not SUVs. Inner headlight lens is fake. That's odd - why not use it for something? Night time gauges are odd - there is an animated "box" that looks very dropped in. It's about the only design flaw. I would like makings on the 5's in the speedo.