Used 2013 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Nice but very fragile
By ngrigoriev

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

In 5 months after buying it I had to visit the dealership more times than in 4 years with my Mitsubishi Outlander! Something is constantly wrong with this car. But the last drop was it failed to start for the second time when it was cold outside, after(!) half of the trip to the school with the baby! I am no longer planning to keep it as it is simply unreliable. Yes, it gets fixed for free but what about my time and the inconvenience? Now it is sitting at the dealership and will be there for 2 weeks until they get a part, I am driving the loaner :(

Update - I had to get rid of this car. Only after 9 months of ownership I have traded it for new Cadillac SRX. The primary reason was extremely low reliability. It failed my wife twice in winter and she was stuck in cold for hours (BMW roadside assistance was not answering calls for many hours). Clearly we were not alone :( Dealer tried to blame me for "poor driver profile", although even this is no true - I measured battery parameters and they were perfect. Not to mention that it's been 2,5 years and Cadillac works very well for my "poor driver profile".

I still believe that I have not driven anything better than X3 in terms of quality of the ride and, especially, in winter. But, unfortunately, this has little value if you cannot rely on the car.

Loving the X3
By clayewi

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had four successive 5 series wagons. Sadly, BMW doesn't bring them to the states so I had to really consider what to get next. The X1 was TINY and just didn't feel like a BMW to me. Without question my last 5 had a more luxurious interior, but that's expected. The X3 has a much nicer interior than the current 3 series. The screen is IN the dash where it should be, not sticking up like a design afterthought. The engine/transmission combo is amazing; very quick and agile. It doesn't handle like a car, but much better than other SUV's. The tech package is very nicely done. Gas mileage is really good for the size. The car feels much lighter than my 5 wagon, much faster though.

Overall design is elegant yet practical. Plenty of space for everyone and everything. Excellent interior ergonomics. Elegant interior layout. Rear and Top View cameras really help. Thoughtful cargo area design. Outstanding iDrive features - much improved. Blueteooth audio is seamless. Heated seats and steering wheel are excellent - nice and hot! Large sunroof.

Front seats/headrests have an odd forward lean at top. Can't tilt headrest back. Although a lot quieter than a 328i, it could be quieter. Body roll is more than I like, but that's largely because I like cars, not SUVs. Inner headlight lens is fake. That's odd - why not use it for something? Night time gauges are odd - there is an animated "box" that looks very dropped in. It's about the only design flaw. I would like makings on the 5's in the speedo.

Love My Ride
By drkcollins

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I looked at and drove nearly every car and SUV out there. When I drove the X3 35i I felt 'at home.'

Also drove the 28i but even with the Turbo, didn't have the torque I'm used to. The 35i put a smile on my face!

Performance, comfort, gas mileage, not to mention the sleek classy look.

What more can you ask for?

Too many trips to dealership!
By gaislandsguy

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's a nice vehicle, if I didn't have to drive 45 minutes to dealership to get it fixed, on a regular basis. Yes, there is a closer dealership, but they tried to sell me an "executive car" for $3K off sticker.
When I asked for car fax they baulked. It had been in a rear end accident!
I only found out because I asked for Carfax!
Anyway back to X3.
It's pretty.
And it's nice to drive. Holds road well. Handles great.

I loved that I picked it up at the factory! Great experience! Loved the Performance Delivery at factory. GREAT hideaway hitch!!! Love topdown cameras under outside mirrors. Really like backup turning radius guides. Like the status of driving BMW.

Keyless entry, right now it's waiting to be picked up cause keyless entry isn't working Bluetooth audio streaming stopped working this weekend too. Month ago the air intake on the Turbo popped off while driving. It took the car about 5 min to put up a warning light,I knew it right away cause loud sound it made. Problem was bad clamp, dealership said I could drive it till I got home, even though warning lights came on. 2 wheels been replaced-sealer bubbling off. Bluetooth issues when it comes to having 2 iPhones paired (even though two different keyfobs are used (that was when new). Very touchy accelerator from stop.Battery went dead at 13mths. not locking it was prob-need to press stop twice

Reliability , reliability , reliability .....
By mo78

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's shocking that BMW can't make reliable car for the money they charge. This wk will be my fourth visit to the dealership for drivers restraint malfunction . They don't seem to know whats going on with this car . I have seen similar reliability reviews and I just wonder in the engineers at BMW read them !!!!!!! It's also statistically higher than other competitors or Japanese cars.

Fun to drive