I like it, but...
By lwprescott on
2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)
I am in month 10 and while I love the incomparable BMW handling, every time I drive it I am frustrated by the unnecessarily complicated shifter and the door locking system. I would not buy this car again if it had the same awkward shifter or if the door locking could not be reprogrammed. I am constantly pulling on locked door handles, but have been told by my dealer that this cannot be changed for safety reasons. Funny that Lexus does not have that concern. I also don't like the navigation display. Not enough street names are clearly identified and the background colors make it hard to read. By comparison, my wife's Lexus SUV has a dazzlingly clear and complete navigation screen.
Favorite Features
Great handling; surprisingly good gas mileage from the twin-turbo engine (around 20 mpg in town and close to 30 on the road); the panorama view on the nav screen is really cool, although street name identification is insufficient and the other nav screens are hard to read.
Suggested Improvements
Accelerator is too touchy on startup; get rid of that stupid shifting setup; get a nav system that is as good as Lexus's; allowing all doors to open when driver door is opened; and don't wait a year to provide a trailer hitch for an SUV!