Used 2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i SUV Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

x3 needed new transmission
By Julio Hwu

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Bought it used at carmax with maxcare warranty
After 1 year using the car the transmission broke and need a new one($9000.00).Max care warranty don't wanna pay for a new one.They will put a used one instead.
It was supposed to be done in a week and took a month.Of course because of their fault i will have to pay for all this time the rental car.The on;y pay for 7 days of rental.
First they don't agree with the Bmw dealer than i have to tow to their mechanics and they send a supervisor and try to cut corners giving me a used transmission.
Next time i will buy Cpo from the Lexus that is the most reliable brand.
The Bmw X3 is excellent but unreliable.

First German car.
By Noe Miranda

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

So I want to start off with that I’ve never owned a German car before. So my notes and my review will be coming from that stand point. This information will hopefully help those thinking of buying a used BMW.

Car facts:
One owner
No accidents
Non smoker
Millage was: 33374
Bought the X3 from a non BMW Dealership but it wasn’t one of those used car lots.
BMW warranty had run out (due to over 4yrs)
Bumper to bumper warranty (would only cover 6 years from when the car was originally bought so only about 1 yr and 9 mnths) it cost a lot about 4k so said no
Maintenance warranty was about 3k (would only cover 6 years from when the car was originally bought so only about 1 yr and 9 mnths) so said no
My thinking is that in 1yr and 9 mths I shouldn’t rack up over 7k in repairs and if it starts down that path we will have to get rid of it.
The car was clean inside and out no body damage and no accidents. Only 2 issue with X3 1) the glove box cover had been pulled up from the lower left corner not sure how this happen but the Dealer agreed to repair it as part of the we owe you agreement 2) the dealership had changed the oil and fixed the breaks but the lights hadn’t been reset and since they are not an BMW dealership they said they can’t reset those service lights. So part of that we owe you agreement they said they would get that all fixed and reset.

Why did I buy the X3?
I test drove and looked at all the other competition I was looking for an all-wheel drive SUV for the wife something upscale. I narrowed it down to the X3, the Q5 and the RX and we went with the X3 due to price and the mileage and the car was a 1 owner car.

Thoughts so far only have had it for a week but so far so good. No issues. Took the X3 in to get the “We owe you” repairs done. I will try to update as things happen. If you guys have question I will try and answer.

Another "like it but"
By crsbeem

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Comfortable, largely well-handling and a great value vs. our previous series of Jeep Cherokees. BUT, despite three "re-programs", acceleration after slowing is tortoise speed (a full three second delay before the trans kicks down) making high speed merges a gamble. Also hate the electronic parking brake which eliminates the safety of a manual parking brake backup. It is either on...or off.

The look, the ride, retractable glass roof, comfortable seating and general aesthetics.

FIX the transmission downshift! It is irritating and rather dangerous. Return to a manual parking brake. Create a slot in which to place keys!

Poor handling
By regisd

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Has anyone experienced this issue and was there a resolution to this SUV's poor handling stability?
I used to own a 2008 X3 which had the traditional great performing stiff hydraulic power steering, now this X3 comes with some kind of "electric" assist on steering which may or may not be the cause for an unstable ride when driving on uneven pavement (especially wheel gutters from nordic states spring thaw).
The car is simply unstable in its direction, it feels like you constantly need to fight the direction with oposition move on steering wheel to prevent it from swaying to right or left.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Please help, this car is great otherwise.

INSANE
By personaltrain

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I just don't even know where to begin with this hunk of [non-permissible content removed]!!
First I'll start by agreeing with every negative comment I've read on this review board.
Just purchased this junk on wheels less than one year ago and its already going back to BMW for service for the fifth time!

I had to bring the car in for its first service owning it for three days.
Little did I know this was just the beginning.
PLEASE PLEASE listen to all the reviews on this board.
Consider something else!!!

NONE, this is hands down the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned!!

the entire car