2011 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Another "like it but"
By crsbeem on 05/30/14 10:06 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Comfortable, largely well-handling and a great value vs. our previous series of Jeep Cherokees. BUT, despite three "re-programs", acceleration after slowing is tortoise speed (a full three second delay before the trans kicks down) making high speed merges a gamble. Also hate the electronic parking brake which eliminates the safety of a manual parking brake backup. It is either on...or off.

Poor handling
By regisd on 05/15/13 20:05 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Has anyone experienced this issue and was there a resolution to this SUV's poor handling stability? I used to own a 2008 X3 which had the traditional great performing stiff hydraulic power steering, now this X3 comes with some kind of "electric" assist on steering which may or may not be the cause for an unstable ride when driving on uneven pavement (especially wheel gutters from nordic states spring thaw). The car is simply unstable in its direction, it feels like you constantly need to fight the direction with oposition move on steering wheel to prevent it from swaying to right or left. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please help, this car is great otherwise.

INSANE
By personaltrain on 12/30/12 10:11 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I just don't even know where to begin with this hunk of [non-permissible content removed]!! First I'll start by agreeing with every negative comment I've read on this review board. Just purchased this junk on wheels less than one year ago and its already going back to BMW for service for the fifth time! I had to bring the car in for its first service owning it for three days. Little did I know this was just the beginning. PLEASE PLEASE listen to all the reviews on this board. Consider something else!!!

Will not start, louisy Customer Service
By nobmw3 on 05/24/12 14:39 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

The car only has 300 miles and the battery died three times! Dealer (Motorweks) claoims everything is according to specs and battery runs down because of all electronics and that I must drive the car 3-4 times a week or use a trickle charger at all times!!! Contacted BMW customer service and they send me a standard staement that they bild "The Ultimate Machine" and that I must contact the dealer. I asked if I must take a very long extension cord for the charger when I travel for more that afew days but no one thinks it is funny! Would seem to me that electronics can be interlcked with the start switch so the only run when car is started???

2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i
By gazeboarder on 02/09/12 19:57 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

This is my first BMW. I've had the car for 5 months. I previously owned an Infiniti FX35. I like the X3. The feel on the road is nice and solid. Heated steering wheel is great in cold temps but the location of the button sucks. BMW could improve their ergonomics and sound system. The iPod connection system has a mind of it's own. The sound system in my Infiniti had better sound. I love the look of his car from the front. $1200+ for a trailer hitch is a joke. Yakima and Thule does not have a roof rack compatible with this vehicle. Initial acceleration is a bit slow at times which is weird for a car that claims the Ultimate Driving Experience.

I'm very picky and I love this car.
By swalker1 on 10/29/11 20:12 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I drove my past car for 12 years because I never like anything else enough to buy it. I waited for this X3 to be available hoping that I would like it. I am so happy I waited. I Love It! I got it loaded with sport package, tech package, convenience package, cold package. I have 6000 miles on it and I haven't had any problems. I do have a broken spring in a cup holder as someone else mentioned, but that is minor. I love all the technology and the comfort. I had a difficult time deciding what color to get; I thought they could have had better colors to choose from. I got Mineral Silver with Beige Leather and I am happy with it.

Major problems with the 2011-BMW-X3
By thecriticsays on 10/19/11 19:15 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

The vehcile is great when it works. I have had major problems with the 2011 X3, vehicle is less than 6 months old: 1-Engine coolant leak, cracked reservoir. BMW said it's normal at first, then repaired upon insistance. 2-Driver's door does not open, broken cable. 3-Excessive brake noise and squealing, BMW says it's normal. 4-Excessive wind noise from poor outside door seals, BMW says it's normal. 5-Grinding window noise when closing/opening window. 6-Windshield wipers do not rest in their low position, they sit up. 7-Passenger's side door was misaligned and sticked out, BMW said it's normal, then attempted to fix upon insistance. All parts take 2-weeks to come !!!

BMW has lost their quality
By jolie714 on 10/03/11 16:26 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I've owned 4 BMW's and this will be my last. There is a problem with the transmission that BMW knew about and didn't fix. They continued to make cars with this problem. When the car is not on, you cannot put it on neutral. Which means you cannot tow your car. I have only had this car for 7 months and I've had to tow it 2 times. They do not provide you with a spare tire. I got a flat and had the tow the car to the dealership. The run flat tire feature did not work. Why pay more if you get less? I would not recommend this car to anyone.

Love our X3
By jims57 on 08/30/11 18:13 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

We selected the X3 i2.8 at the end of our 2008 335 Convertible lease. You might think that after driving at 335 the X3 would be a disappointment; on the contrary, it's a much nicer car to live with. The 335 was fun, but somewhat impractical and had a very rigid ride; the X3 is surprisingly smooth and agile. We chose the 2.8 because, frankly, we had problems with the 335 engine... had to tow it back to the dealer with less than 20K miles. The 2.8 has plenty of power for "real-world" driving. It is smooth and sporty. The interior is quite large considering the external size of the the vehicle... especially the rear seat (compare it to the Mercedes GLK350).

My first BMW
By joeb57 on 07/30/11 07:46 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

We have owned this vehicle just over six weeks and absolutely love it. The style, RIDE, performance and MPG is as advertised. We test drove several other models and kept going back to the X3. Plus it's built in the USA and even my last Chevy was not. A little expensive but with their warranty and my lower mileage, it just made sense.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X3 Suv in VA is:

$121 per month*