Used 2011 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
INSANE
By personaltrain

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I just don't even know where to begin with this hunk of [non-permissible content removed]!! First I'll start by agreeing with every negative comment I've read on this review board. Just purchased this junk on wheels less than one year ago and its already going back to BMW for service for the fifth time! I had to bring the car in for its first service owning it for three days. Little did I know this was just the beginning. PLEASE PLEASE listen to all the reviews on this board. Consider something else!!!

Favorite Features

NONE, this is hands down the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned!!

Suggested Improvements

the entire car

Poor handling
By regisd

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Has anyone experienced this issue and was there a resolution to this SUV's poor handling stability? I used to own a 2008 X3 which had the traditional great performing stiff hydraulic power steering, now this X3 comes with some kind of "electric" assist on steering which may or may not be the cause for an unstable ride when driving on uneven pavement (especially wheel gutters from nordic states spring thaw). The car is simply unstable in its direction, it feels like you constantly need to fight the direction with oposition move on steering wheel to prevent it from swaying to right or left. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please help, this car is great otherwise.

Best SUV in the Market.
By mike0205

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned this car for 11 months and put on 14200 miles on it. I have driven all four seasons now and can say that this is the best SUV I have driven. Performance is Awesome. I would say that BMW has built this like a mirror of your mood. If you slam on the gas it is the fastest with accurate handling control with (17mpg). My friends say that they could see a big difference in my driving style. If you drive it slow you get the best possible mileage (31 mpg). I drove 270 miles non stop and I looked fresh as I started to drive. Get the Premium Audio and it is one of the best&Every Penny is worth it. If you get this car from a reputed dealer it will not disappoint you.

Favorite Features

Sport Mode acceleration (0-60 in 5.2 sec and 30 -70 in just 3 sec), and Decent Mileage (16-19 in city and 27-31 in highway depends on your driving habits). Premium Audio and 5.1 Dolby Digital/ DTS DVD Like the two time effort to open door and two time to switch off the ignition which is absolute safety to ensure that the vehicle is secure. If you leave any door open, the car won't move which is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation - Is very behind and need to spend $150 every three to six months to get updated. Tailgate closing by remote is not an option in US but it is standard in Europe. Price is the other factor I would suggest an improvement.

I like it but...
By antfern

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

2011 X3 35I is my first BMW, I am a Honda Accord 3.0 6 cylinder regular. X3 is a beautiful, fun to drive small SUV. Its quick at high speed. It has roomy interior, front and rear. Good sound system as well as the blue tooth phone interface. This vehicle is really for luxury and not an economical alternative.

Favorite Features

Impressive appearance

Suggested Improvements

Wheel alignment is constantly out. Hesitation on initial acceleration. Need comfortable front seats Total value

Another "like it but"
By crsbeem

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Comfortable, largely well-handling and a great value vs. our previous series of Jeep Cherokees. BUT, despite three "re-programs", acceleration after slowing is tortoise speed (a full three second delay before the trans kicks down) making high speed merges a gamble. Also hate the electronic parking brake which eliminates the safety of a manual parking brake backup. It is either on...or off.

Favorite Features

The look, the ride, retractable glass roof, comfortable seating and general aesthetics.

Suggested Improvements

FIX the transmission downshift! It is irritating and rather dangerous. Return to a manual parking brake. Create a slot in which to place keys!