2011 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Another "like it but"
By crsbeem on 05/30/14 10:06 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Comfortable, largely well-handling and a great value vs. our previous series of Jeep Cherokees. BUT, despite three "re-programs", acceleration after slowing is tortoise speed (a full three second delay before the trans kicks down) making high speed merges a gamble. Also hate the electronic parking brake which eliminates the safety of a manual parking brake backup. It is either on...or off.

I like it but...
By antfern on 05/16/13 15:18 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

2011 X3 35I is my first BMW, I am a Honda Accord 3.0 6 cylinder regular. X3 is a beautiful, fun to drive small SUV. Its quick at high speed. It has roomy interior, front and rear. Good sound system as well as the blue tooth phone interface. This vehicle is really for luxury and not an economical alternative.

Poor handling
By regisd on 05/15/13 20:05 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Has anyone experienced this issue and was there a resolution to this SUV's poor handling stability? I used to own a 2008 X3 which had the traditional great performing stiff hydraulic power steering, now this X3 comes with some kind of "electric" assist on steering which may or may not be the cause for an unstable ride when driving on uneven pavement (especially wheel gutters from nordic states spring thaw). The car is simply unstable in its direction, it feels like you constantly need to fight the direction with oposition move on steering wheel to prevent it from swaying to right or left. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please help, this car is great otherwise.

INSANE
By personaltrain on 12/30/12 10:11 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I just don't even know where to begin with this hunk of [non-permissible content removed]!! First I'll start by agreeing with every negative comment I've read on this review board. Just purchased this junk on wheels less than one year ago and its already going back to BMW for service for the fifth time! I had to bring the car in for its first service owning it for three days. Little did I know this was just the beginning. PLEASE PLEASE listen to all the reviews on this board. Consider something else!!!

Best SUV in the Market.
By mike0205 on 10/02/12 16:30 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned this car for 11 months and put on 14200 miles on it. I have driven all four seasons now and can say that this is the best SUV I have driven. Performance is Awesome. I would say that BMW has built this like a mirror of your mood. If you slam on the gas it is the fastest with accurate handling control with (17mpg). My friends say that they could see a big difference in my driving style. If you drive it slow you get the best possible mileage (31 mpg). I drove 270 miles non stop and I looked fresh as I started to drive. Get the Premium Audio and it is one of the best&Every Penny is worth it. If you get this car from a reputed dealer it will not disappoint you.

I got a lemon.
By juniorlla on 07/29/12 20:32 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought a brand new 2011 BMW X3 XDrive 35i from Autorgemana in Medellin, Colombia and I got a lemon. 1) The sunroof didn’t work. It took 6 months to replace everything and still makes a clunking noise when it opens. 2) when you step on the brakes the car shakes. It was at the dealer 3 times and they couldn’t give us a correct solution. They replaced all 4 disc brakes, pads and sensors. 3) The headlights fog up inside even if it doesn’t rain. They haven’t been able to figure out why this happens so they said it is normal and a year later still happens. 4) The steering system was broken. It went to the shop 3 times and it took 8 months to replace it. As i write this, my car is 14 months old, it has 14.800 kms and it is in the shop for the twelfth time. I named it St. Joseph because it goes from the shop to the house and the house to the shop.

I like it, but...
By lwprescott on 06/01/12 07:37 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I am in month 10 and while I love the incomparable BMW handling, every time I drive it I am frustrated by the unnecessarily complicated shifter and the door locking system. I would not buy this car again if it had the same awkward shifter or if the door locking could not be reprogrammed. I am constantly pulling on locked door handles, but have been told by my dealer that this cannot be changed for safety reasons. Funny that Lexus does not have that concern. I also don't like the navigation display. Not enough street names are clearly identified and the background colors make it hard to read. By comparison, my wife's Lexus SUV has a dazzlingly clear and complete navigation screen.

Will not start, louisy Customer Service
By nobmw3 on 05/24/12 14:39 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

The car only has 300 miles and the battery died three times! Dealer (Motorweks) claoims everything is according to specs and battery runs down because of all electronics and that I must drive the car 3-4 times a week or use a trickle charger at all times!!! Contacted BMW customer service and they send me a standard staement that they bild "The Ultimate Machine" and that I must contact the dealer. I asked if I must take a very long extension cord for the charger when I travel for more that afew days but no one thinks it is funny! Would seem to me that electronics can be interlcked with the start switch so the only run when car is started???

Very Nice
By jrr25 on 04/09/12 18:41 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

One thing I can say is that the X3 drives like a sports car. Handling is exceptional as is its acceleration. The turbo engine and 8-speed transmission are a great marriage. Its power deliver seems limitless. Yet, the the ride is smooth and composed. It can be very relaxing when you want it to be and a canyon carver when your in the mood. I really this like this little SUV a lot - mainly because it doesn't feel like one, if you know what I mean. The navigation screen is a wide screen set up allowing for maps to be displayed beside radio stations/songs/artwork if you like it that way. The standard stereo system sound very good as well. So far, seven months and no problems.

2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i
By gazeboarder on 02/09/12 19:57 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

This is my first BMW. I've had the car for 5 months. I previously owned an Infiniti FX35. I like the X3. The feel on the road is nice and solid. Heated steering wheel is great in cold temps but the location of the button sucks. BMW could improve their ergonomics and sound system. The iPod connection system has a mind of it's own. The sound system in my Infiniti had better sound. I love the look of his car from the front. $1200+ for a trailer hitch is a joke. Yakima and Thule does not have a roof rack compatible with this vehicle. Initial acceleration is a bit slow at times which is weird for a car that claims the Ultimate Driving Experience.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X3 Suv in VA is:

$120 per month*