Used 2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Another "like it but"
By crsbeem

2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Comfortable, largely well-handling and a great value vs. our previous series of Jeep Cherokees. BUT, despite three "re-programs", acceleration after slowing is tortoise speed (a full three second delay before the trans kicks down) making high speed merges a gamble. Also hate the electronic parking brake which eliminates the safety of a manual parking brake backup. It is either on...or off.

Favorite Features

The look, the ride, retractable glass roof, comfortable seating and general aesthetics.

Suggested Improvements

FIX the transmission downshift! It is irritating and rather dangerous. Return to a manual parking brake. Create a slot in which to place keys!

Poor handling
By regisd

2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Has anyone experienced this issue and was there a resolution to this SUV's poor handling stability? I used to own a 2008 X3 which had the traditional great performing stiff hydraulic power steering, now this X3 comes with some kind of "electric" assist on steering which may or may not be the cause for an unstable ride when driving on uneven pavement (especially wheel gutters from nordic states spring thaw). The car is simply unstable in its direction, it feels like you constantly need to fight the direction with oposition move on steering wheel to prevent it from swaying to right or left. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please help, this car is great otherwise.

INSANE
By personaltrain

2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I just don't even know where to begin with this hunk of [non-permissible content removed]!! First I'll start by agreeing with every negative comment I've read on this review board. Just purchased this junk on wheels less than one year ago and its already going back to BMW for service for the fifth time! I had to bring the car in for its first service owning it for three days. Little did I know this was just the beginning. PLEASE PLEASE listen to all the reviews on this board. Consider something else!!!

Favorite Features

NONE, this is hands down the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned!!

Suggested Improvements

the entire car

Will not start, louisy Customer Service
By nobmw3

2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

The car only has 300 miles and the battery died three times! Dealer (Motorweks) claoims everything is according to specs and battery runs down because of all electronics and that I must drive the car 3-4 times a week or use a trickle charger at all times!!! Contacted BMW customer service and they send me a standard staement that they bild "The Ultimate Machine" and that I must contact the dealer. I asked if I must take a very long extension cord for the charger when I travel for more that afew days but no one thinks it is funny! Would seem to me that electronics can be interlcked with the start switch so the only run when car is started???

Favorite Features

Not the Electronics!!!

Suggested Improvements

Interlock all electronics, computers and BMW assist so they only go on when car is running. After all what good are all the updates, comnputers and fancy gadgets if you CANNOT START the car?

2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i
By gazeboarder

2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

This is my first BMW. I've had the car for 5 months. I previously owned an Infiniti FX35. I like the X3. The feel on the road is nice and solid. Heated steering wheel is great in cold temps but the location of the button sucks. BMW could improve their ergonomics and sound system. The iPod connection system has a mind of it's own. The sound system in my Infiniti had better sound. I love the look of his car from the front. $1200+ for a trailer hitch is a joke. Yakima and Thule does not have a roof rack compatible with this vehicle. Initial acceleration is a bit slow at times which is weird for a car that claims the Ultimate Driving Experience.

Favorite Features

-Heated steering wheel -cruise control system -rear heated seats -general fit and feel of the interior -18 inch alloy wheels

Suggested Improvements

- better ergonomics. The position of controls in the car are awkward. This includes: stereo controls, push start button, heated steering wheel button, lumbar support controls - Upgraded stereo is weak. Needs more power and aftermarket speakers. A colab with a HiFi brand would be nice. Audi teamed with B&O - Better sun roof. Copy the Audi Q5 sunroof. - Make a simple trailer hitch option. Charging $1200 is a joke. An aftermarket hitch can be purchased for $200. - Make the roof rails compatible with major roof rack brands like Yakima and Thule. SAV means sports activity vehicle. With that said make the car easy for consumers who participate in activities such as snowboarding.