Used 2008 BMW X3 3.0si SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (33 reviews )

Most Helpful|
N52 engine really has problems
By 1978bmx

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my x3 new, did my research and the x3 came in to be up there with the 3 series in quality. At around 60k the valves started to tap like crazy, (metal on metal sounds- if yours is doing this it is not normal! It needs to be repaired- don't let the dealer service people tell you it's air bubbles in the oil. It will lead to premature engine failure this should be covered under warranty) the tapping sound was especially loud with cold starts. The engine cylinder head was replaced, but the sound is more of a thumping slamming sound now, it will be in the shop this week again! Even the BMW techs I've talked to, feel the quality of BMW is really slipping.

Favorite Features

None anymore, I've really lost my passion for BMW

Suggested Improvements

If you're shopping for a BMW, I would advise you to consider Infiniti, Lexus (Toyota still builds a great product-regardless of what you hear in the news!)My BMW dealer service guys have been great about taking care of me, but after only 110K this will be its 5th time in the shop! it's getting old

Fun and Practical
By Kevin P. Kamraczewsk

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my X3 for 6 months now and find it to be fun and practical. It has been extremely reliable. I have the automatic and most options. I am averaging about 22 mpg. It is very useful for hauling around my dogs and for moving things back and forth to my daughter's college which is about a 4 1/2 drive away. It holds a surprising amount of stuff. The handling with the Sport Activity package is great. It handles better than my last sedan. The navigation calculates (and recalculates) very quickly. The xenon headlights automatically follow curves which is great for the dark streets around my house. The seats and steering wheel heat up very quickly on cold nights.

Favorite Features

I really enjoy the handling and acceleration. The steering and brakes are very precise. The mileage is pretty good too for a 4 wheel drive SUV.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have dual temperature control for the air conditioning, heated and cooled seats, and a surround sound system. Push button start would also be a good option.

Sheared Motor Mount Bolts
By wrh47

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

2008 BMW X3 with 59,000 miles sheared all 4 motor mount bolts in normal street driving. BMW said “tough luck”. A quick internet search indicated this was not an isolated incident, many other relatively low mileage BMW’s have had sheared motor mount bolts. I believe this problem to be a serious safety issue and filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I encourage others that have had similar problems to file NHTSA complaints at the following website: safercar.gov Click the “REPORT A VEHICLE OR CHILD SEAT DEFECT” Tab and submit your complaint. If there are enough complaints, BMW will, hopefully, be forced to acknowledge this problem.

BRAKES FAILED
By capricornlady

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My X3 brakes failed causing a major accident. The accident resulted in approximately $75,000 worth of damage. BMW denied any brake issues. When I picked the vehicle up from BMW body shop I had to return it. All of the brake indicator lights on the dashboard lit up. I loved how my vehicle handled, but there were frequent trips to the repair shop, including previous brake jobs. It was disturbing and disappointing that BMW denied a major issue that could have resulted in casualties. BMW blamed the car mats for the accident (sounds familiar). Yet they returned the vehicle with mats in same position. Car was in service 2 wks before accident. A co-worker friend had similiar experience.

Favorite Features

Sturdy handling, Nice design, Headlamp washers, full folding backseat, access to trunk from back seat, heated steering wheel, all wheel drive, ability to drive as automatic or manual.

Suggested Improvements

Increase back seat leg room. MOST IMPORTANT...improve brake system. Be honest! Brakes are serious, inspectors should never lie about faulty brakes even to save reputation!

Solid for a challenging climate
By Debbie

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

For me driving in major snow storms is a given. This vehicle does everything you need it to do and feels rock solid. I drove through a monster storm this morning and to a ski resort last week on poor road conditions. I was never concerned.It tracks the road, is very stable and in the worst storm is balanced and steady. Unlike some larger SUVs I have had, the size and weight distribution on this vehicle provides a feel for the road surface and an ability to get you there. This vehicle is for someone who wants a smaller suv that can get you around in the worst of conditions. And of course, its a BMW so it goes without saying that the interior, the reliability and the extras are fantastic

Favorite Features

It has a solid drive, does not feel like a truck.

Suggested Improvements

The styling is good but not great.