Used 2008 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW X3

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (34 reviews )

Fun and Practical
By Kevin P. Kamraczewsk

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my X3 for 6 months now and find it to be fun and practical. It has been extremely reliable. I have the automatic and most options. I am averaging about 22 mpg. It is very useful for hauling around my dogs and for moving things back and forth to my daughter's college which is about a 4 1/2 drive away. It holds a surprising amount of stuff. The handling with the Sport Activity package is great. It handles better than my last sedan. The navigation calculates (and recalculates) very quickly. The xenon headlights automatically follow curves which is great for the dark streets around my house. The seats and steering wheel heat up very quickly on cold nights.

Favorite Features

I really enjoy the handling and acceleration. The steering and brakes are very precise. The mileage is pretty good too for a 4 wheel drive SUV.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have dual temperature control for the air conditioning, heated and cooled seats, and a surround sound system. Push button start would also be a good option.

After 11k miles, it's time to walk away
By Paul Milton

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I leased this '08 X3 in December of '07. Unfortunately, I regret the decision. The X3 is no doubt an excellent driver for a 4100lb small SUV. By small, I mean the interior is very small and cramped and only after owning this vehicle for some time I now know it has limited utility and horrid resale value. Others such as the Lincoln MKX are cheaper by thousands and more practical in every way.

Favorite Features

Good brakes, steering. Nimble handling. Comfortable front seats. Good winter traction with snow tires. Other than that not much can be said about the X3 that is great or even good.

Suggested Improvements

Gas consumption is abysmal. I normally see 13-14 MPG on the computer display. The downside to the excellent handling is a stiff ride- you feel every bump and imperfection in the road and on long trips makes your kidney's hurt. Reliability is poor. Edmunds does not provide enough space to list all

Overpriced Horrid BMW Model
By Marc

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is an update of an original posting. The BMW X3 has HORRIBLE engine and transmission response. The dealer can not remedy it as no more software updates are out from BMW but I do not think any more computer programs will solve the potentially dangerous throttle response; you do not go anywhere at times when merging. The navigation system is awful I had to buy a Magellan unit. The handling is sub-par, think the crappy cheap Pirelli STR part to blame but not up to BMW standards. BMW corporate is impossible to deal with they are of no help at all.

Favorite Features

BMW emblem, heated steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Engine and transmission. Navigation system. Radio, even upgraded one, sounds like junk. Handling and tires are a mess. This is the WORST new car I have ever owned and BMW should be ashamed of ever producing this model.

Disappointed
By car guy

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is our second BMW, we are so disappointed with the quality of construction. The front bumper, a pathetic piece of plastic just buckled and fell when going over a bump. Told by a BMW service agent that this is happening so frequently with the x3 that people are not even bothering to fix the bumper, they just drive around with it hanging. This is unconscionably poor construction, design and quality. There are other issues with the quality of materials used in the construction of this car. This is definitely our last BMW and if it wasn't a lease, I would get rid of it immediately.

2008 BMW X3
By don592

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Ive had the auto 4 months, handling is outstanding. Acceleration and braking also outstanding. Interior fit and finish are top quality. I ordered a 6 speed manual, a big part of the fun factor the manual transmission is smooth and easy to use, although the position of reverse, to the left and up of first, takes some getting used to. The exterior finish is perfect. Dashboard and radio controls are different than most cars, but after a few weeks, it all makes sense. While super unleaded fuel is recommended, the auto runs fine on regular. My previous car was a Honda Pilot which was a nice solid car, but the X3 brings back the excitement of driving and everything still fits.

Favorite Features

6 speed manual transmission - it's not the Japanese transmissions of the 80s and 90s. Xenon headlights worth the money.

Suggested Improvements

Don't waste you money on the HD radio - it has not been perfected yet. Too much waiting for signal (30 miles outside of NYC).