Used 2008 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW X3 - Consumer Reviews

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (36 reviews )

Great Crossover
By Deal Finder

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 2nd BMW in 2 years and I love this X3. It is fully loaded (I got a dealer demo so got a great deal) and in the 2 weeks that I have driven it I got 22 MPG. I tried Acura, Infiniti, Volvo and Lexus. No doubt you pay a little more upfront, but once you drive it for a few years its all worth it - thanks to 0 maintenance for 4 years and the overall BMW brand value. When you buy a BMW you don't buy a car - you buy an experience.

Engine response and overall handling, navigation, comfort seats, loading space in the trunk, Xenon adaptive lights and last but not the least the turn lights. A bright light comes on in the direction you are trying to turn - makes you more confident about the turn.

Option to buy a upgraded engine - the 335's engine in this will be great.

A joy to drive
By JOHN

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had the X3 for about 6 months and now has about 10,000 miles. Itís a great SUV. Great handling, good power, controls are easy to use (but a little old fashioned for a 2008). I like the panoramic sunroof though I rarely use it. Gas mileage is fairly decent. Thereís not much room in the rear seat for passengers.

Great handling for an suv, nice power, pano sunroof, responsive transmission, stiff suspension

Cup holders are to small to use, aux control is in the back seat, get rid of the cheap unpainted trim

Fun and Practical
By Kevin P. Kamraczewsk

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my X3 for 6 months now and find it to be fun and practical. It has been extremely reliable. I have the automatic and most options. I am averaging about 22 mpg. It is very useful for hauling around my dogs and for moving things back and forth to my daughter's college which is about a 4 1/2 drive away. It holds a surprising amount of stuff. The handling with the Sport Activity package is great. It handles better than my last sedan. The navigation calculates (and recalculates) very quickly. The xenon headlights automatically follow curves which is great for the dark streets around my house. The seats and steering wheel heat up very quickly on cold nights.

I really enjoy the handling and acceleration. The steering and brakes are very precise. The mileage is pretty good too for a 4 wheel drive SUV.

It would be nice to have dual temperature control for the air conditioning, heated and cooled seats, and a surround sound system. Push button start would also be a good option.

After 11k miles, it's time to walk away
By Paul Milton

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I leased this '08 X3 in December of '07. Unfortunately, I regret the decision. The X3 is no doubt an excellent driver for a 4100lb small SUV. By small, I mean the interior is very small and cramped and only after owning this vehicle for some time I now know it has limited utility and horrid resale value. Others such as the Lincoln MKX are cheaper by thousands and more practical in every way.

Good brakes, steering. Nimble handling. Comfortable front seats. Good winter traction with snow tires. Other than that not much can be said about the X3 that is great or even good.

Gas consumption is abysmal. I normally see 13-14 MPG on the computer display. The downside to the excellent handling is a stiff ride- you feel every bump and imperfection in the road and on long trips makes your kidney's hurt. Reliability is poor. Edmunds does not provide enough space to list all

Overpriced Horrid BMW Model
By Marc

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is an update of an original posting. The BMW X3 has HORRIBLE engine and transmission response. The dealer can not remedy it as no more software updates are out from BMW but I do not think any more computer programs will solve the potentially dangerous throttle response; you do not go anywhere at times when merging. The navigation system is awful I had to buy a Magellan unit. The handling is sub-par, think the crappy cheap Pirelli STR part to blame but not up to BMW standards. BMW corporate is impossible to deal with they are of no help at all.

BMW emblem, heated steering wheel.

Engine and transmission. Navigation system. Radio, even upgraded one, sounds like junk. Handling and tires are a mess. This is the WORST new car I have ever owned and BMW should be ashamed of ever producing this model.