Used 2008 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW X3 SUV

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (34 reviews )

Solid for a challenging climate
By Debbie

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

For me driving in major snow storms is a given. This vehicle does everything you need it to do and feels rock solid. I drove through a monster storm this morning and to a ski resort last week on poor road conditions. I was never concerned.It tracks the road, is very stable and in the worst storm is balanced and steady. Unlike some larger SUVs I have had, the size and weight distribution on this vehicle provides a feel for the road surface and an ability to get you there. This vehicle is for someone who wants a smaller suv that can get you around in the worst of conditions. And of course, its a BMW so it goes without saying that the interior, the reliability and the extras are fantastic

Favorite Features

It has a solid drive, does not feel like a truck.

Suggested Improvements

The styling is good but not great.

Really fun to drive
By Mike

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my 2008 X3 for 1 year. The ride is great, handling is incredible. Brakes are superior. I have the winter package, it works well. Had a problem with the heating coils in the back seat, they stuck. Dealer did a great job fixing the problem. GPS and radio are cheap at best. Gas mileage average. AWD is great. Overall great car so far.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, engine, brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Radio, GPS, better gas mileage, vehicle is a little over priced.

2008 bmw x3
By 78bmx

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Driving Hondas for years (owned three and put over 200k miles on each of them). I recently purchased a new BMW X3 in September. Been a BMW motorcyclist for over 25 years. I thought I would try one of their four wheeled models. I have been a bit skeptical about the quality of BMW cars, "they drive great, but more electrical demons than you can imagine" and so on is what I would hear. The X3 drives great, it's a solid handler, great tracking, good road feel. But guess what: at 1243 miles my cd player-radio just decided to quite working, off to the shop it goes. It's a minor issue, but a radio should work on a brand new $43k car!!

Favorite Features

No question about the handling of these cars. Great road feel, great performance.

Suggested Improvements

Improve your electrical engineering! BMW builds a great car, but the Japanese have you beat on quality issues, I know my radio issue is minor, but who knows what's next?

Great Crossover
By Deal Finder

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 2nd BMW in 2 years and I love this X3. It is fully loaded (I got a dealer demo so got a great deal) and in the 2 weeks that I have driven it I got 22 MPG. I tried Acura, Infiniti, Volvo and Lexus. No doubt you pay a little more upfront, but once you drive it for a few years its all worth it - thanks to 0 maintenance for 4 years and the overall BMW brand value. When you buy a BMW you don't buy a car - you buy an experience.

Favorite Features

Engine response and overall handling, navigation, comfort seats, loading space in the trunk, Xenon adaptive lights and last but not the least the turn lights. A bright light comes on in the direction you are trying to turn - makes you more confident about the turn.

Suggested Improvements

Option to buy a upgraded engine - the 335's engine in this will be great.

A joy to drive
By JOHN

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had the X3 for about 6 months and now has about 10,000 miles. Itís a great SUV. Great handling, good power, controls are easy to use (but a little old fashioned for a 2008). I like the panoramic sunroof though I rarely use it. Gas mileage is fairly decent. Thereís not much room in the rear seat for passengers.

Favorite Features

Great handling for an suv, nice power, pano sunroof, responsive transmission, stiff suspension

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are to small to use, aux control is in the back seat, get rid of the cheap unpainted trim