Used 2008 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (42 reviews )

I'm very much disappointed
By nstephanie

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've just finished the 4 year warranty with my car as of September 1st 2012. The car was at the dealer several times, the gas odometer
doesn't show the actual gas in the tank even the tank is full until several days later. It does
let me pump gas into it and keep stop getting gas even the tank is not half yet. The water pump was not working just 2 year for a brand new X3. The dealer had to replace a new pump because the engine shut off while I was driving several times due to no coolant water in the engine. Now the warranty is over just 22 days, the car is just 28k and the coolant water pump having the problem again.
I'm very disappointed and regret that I bought this expensive car.

bluetooth feature, heated seats, stable brakes

BMW should make the car more reliable for all features since there are too many bad reviews. The car is expensive but it is not worth to spend that much. I would rather buy a Lexus. Please make a better coolant system and water pump also for the sensor for the gas tank.

BRAKES FAILED
By capricornlady

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My X3 brakes failed causing a major accident.
The accident resulted in approximately $75,000 worth of damage.
BMW denied any brake issues.
When I picked the vehicle up from BMW body shop I had to return it.
All of the brake indicator lights on the dashboard lit up. I loved how my vehicle handled, but there were frequent trips to the repair shop, including previous brake jobs.
It was disturbing and disappointing that BMW denied a major issue that could have resulted in casualties.
BMW blamed the car mats for the accident (sounds familiar).
Yet they returned the vehicle with mats in same position.
Car was in service 2 wks before accident.
A co-worker friend had similiar experience.

Sturdy handling, Nice design, Headlamp washers, full folding backseat, access to trunk from back seat, heated steering wheel, all wheel drive, ability to drive as automatic or manual.

Increase back seat leg room. MOST IMPORTANT...improve brake system. Be honest! Brakes are serious, inspectors should never lie about faulty brakes even to save reputation!

2008 X3: Problem Prone
By shnoby

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned BMWs for the last 10 years; I love the way they handle. Fortunately, my 2008 X3 is a lease. At 5K a chronic, very loud engine tapping began (akin to the vehicle in the movie 'Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang.') I had it serviced at least 6 times. By 21K, the tapping reduced to a soft finger strumming, it still taps, but I deal with it. The engine strains on small & big hills & fails to shift. The car has, on *multiple* occasions, locked me inside. Neither the unlocking mechanism nor the windows opened. I drove to the dealer, called them on my cell, had them force the window down & climbed out. The interior handles, cup holders, arm rests, etc. are peeling& have been replaced once.

Runs on flat tires & can be driven manually.

See above review.

Bucking bronco
By Atlgax3

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Unexpected acceleration when going over bumps or after turning uphill can throw you into car in front of you, complete hesitation on entrance ramp, strange gear changes. Totally unacceptable and un-ultimate driving experience. Turned the 2007 model in as a lemon because it was so dangerous. 2008 is only slightly better than 2007. No help from software patches at dealer service dept. Will

lease almost over

totally different transmission needed

Part 2 of N52 engine really has problems
By 1978bmx

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My review somehow incorrectly stated the miles on my X3. The engine valve issue started at 6K, Not 60K as it states. And the car only has 11K,Not 110K as the reviews states, and yes it has been in the shop 5 times in a year and a half. The followup to my last review: After being in the shop for the 5th time BMW thinks the valve slam/tapping is normal! you should hear this especially during a cold start...it sounds like crap, no kidding it slams and thumps like crazy, and this was AFTER the cylinder head replacement! the sound comes and goes still! BMW WILL NOT DO MUCH FOR YOU AFTER THESE ATTEMPTS TO FIX A DEFECTIVE ENGINE ACCEPT TELL YOU THAT THE SOUND IS NORMAL!! BE WARNED FUTURE BMW BUYERS

None.