Used 2008 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW X3 SUV

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (41 reviews )

Love my X3!
By ECS

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am the second owner of my X3...it is a local car purchased at the BMW dealership and had been serviced there. It now has 95,000 miles on it and I plan to keep for a long time. I have learned that it runs much smoother on 93 octane Shell gasoline. The only issue I have is the tire pressure light is on and numerous people have tried to make it go away with no success...BMW dealership does not recommend spending the money it would cost to clear it. My husband is 6'2" and he does have difficulty getting in the car but finds it roomy enough once he is in!

Never Again
By Mackenzie

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I just got my 2008 BMW X3 a few months ago back in April. I bought it off a used lot and as I drove away, the engine light came on. I've taken it in multiple times and I've had everything from my radio just suddenly not wanting to work to my car cutting off in the middle of a busy intersection. This car has almost gotten me in many accidents with its poor driving performance. I actually had it in the shop for a week during Thanksgiving and as soon as I got it back it broke down and left me stranded the day after. I got it back to the repair place and it magically had 10+ new issues. We have spent well over 3k in the past few weeks on this vehicle. I would absolutely never suggest this car to anyone especially as their first car unless you want to constantly have your car in the shop and 0 money in your wallet. I will never purchase a BMW ever again. They say to get rid of a BMW once it hits 85,000 miles... I should have listened.
Oh, and not to mention its HORRIBLE gas mileage. I fill up every week and it costs around 50 bucks every time. It's ridiculous.

Still One of The Funniest Cars I've Owned
By rootforthecubs

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased my pre-owned 2008 BMW E83/X3 coming off of a lease with 32,000 miles on the clock. Lucky enough to find a rare 6 speed manual, which sold me from the get go and unfortunately the dealership knew as in their words "we have 2 other people with cash in hand willing to buy the car sight unseen", and I believed them, but still got a fair deal. So far I haven't any electronic or sun roof issues which I understand come with the territory. Obviously can't speak to the automatic shifting complaints that are out there but I can say the 6 speed manual shifts like butter. In summary, the 2008 X3 is roomy enough for the family and fun enough for Dad to drive. The interior is appealing to the eye and logically laid out. My only complaint is that they stopped offering the 6 speed option after 2010 or I would have bought new.

Great SAV /Sports car
By Joe Iuzzolino

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'll tell ya, I've had a bunch of SUV Japanese vehicles and none compare to the X3. Love the power and handling. I have not had it in snow yet but looking forward to taking to the mountains this winter, it's a tight suspension and I like it. Bluetooth works but not as easy to set up as other vehicles. Really like the interior but most of all the power and steering are aesome, I have the xenon light pkg wow! I love the adaptive lights!

BMW, never again
By Ken Hardy

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned 5 BMW's over the last 30 years, 2 were good cars 3 were not, the current 2008 X3 is the worst of the lot. body water leaks, engine oil leaks, sensor failures, water pump failure, ignition coil failures, transmission failure, you name it and I have had to have it fixed all before the car reached 91000 miles. I purched the car from BMW as a certified used car and had trouble with it from the beginning. The Dealer was of little help they just kept telling me the transmission was fine UNTIL the extended warrenty ran out, then it was " It failed and you need to replace it " at a cost of 8 grand. BMW is not the Ultimate Driving Machine, they are the Ultimate Maintenance Machine