2008 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (33 reviews )
Sheared Motor Mount Bolts
By wrh47 on 04/15/13 10:57 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

2008 BMW X3 with 59,000 miles sheared all 4 motor mount bolts in normal street driving. BMW said “tough luck”. A quick internet search indicated this was not an isolated incident, many other relatively low mileage BMW’s have had sheared motor mount bolts. I believe this problem to be a serious safety issue and filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I encourage others that have had similar problems to file NHTSA complaints at the following website: safercar.gov Click the “REPORT A VEHICLE OR CHILD SEAT DEFECT” Tab and submit your complaint. If there are enough complaints, BMW will, hopefully, be forced to acknowledge this problem.

I'm very much disappointed
By nstephanie on 09/23/12 22:36 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've just finished the 4 year warranty with my car as of September 1st 2012. The car was at the dealer several times, the gas odometer doesn't show the actual gas in the tank even the tank is full until several days later. It does let me pump gas into it and keep stop getting gas even the tank is not half yet. The water pump was not working just 2 year for a brand new X3. The dealer had to replace a new pump because the engine shut off while I was driving several times due to no coolant water in the engine. Now the warranty is over just 22 days, the car is just 28k and the coolant water pump having the problem again. I'm very disappointed and regret that I bought this expensive car.

BRAKES FAILED
By capricornlady on 03/13/12 23:43 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My X3 brakes failed causing a major accident. The accident resulted in approximately $75,000 worth of damage. BMW denied any brake issues. When I picked the vehicle up from BMW body shop I had to return it. All of the brake indicator lights on the dashboard lit up. I loved how my vehicle handled, but there were frequent trips to the repair shop, including previous brake jobs. It was disturbing and disappointing that BMW denied a major issue that could have resulted in casualties. BMW blamed the car mats for the accident (sounds familiar). Yet they returned the vehicle with mats in same position. Car was in service 2 wks before accident. A co-worker friend had similiar experience.

2008 X3: Problem Prone
By shnoby on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned BMWs for the last 10 years; I love the way they handle. Fortunately, my 2008 X3 is a lease. At 5K a chronic, very loud engine tapping began (akin to the vehicle in the movie 'Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang.') I had it serviced at least 6 times. By 21K, the tapping reduced to a soft finger strumming, it still taps, but I deal with it. The engine strains on small & big hills & fails to shift. The car has, on *multiple* occasions, locked me inside. Neither the unlocking mechanism nor the windows opened. I drove to the dealer, called them on my cell, had them force the window down & climbed out. The interior handles, cup holders, arm rests, etc. are peeling& have been replaced once.

Bucking bronco
By Atlgax3 on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Unexpected acceleration when going over bumps or after turning uphill can throw you into car in front of you, complete hesitation on entrance ramp, strange gear changes. Totally unacceptable and un-ultimate driving experience. Turned the 2007 model in as a lemon because it was so dangerous. 2008 is only slightly better than 2007. No help from software patches at dealer service dept. Will

Part 2 of N52 engine really has problems
By 1978bmx on 04/27/10 17:38 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My review somehow incorrectly stated the miles on my X3. The engine valve issue started at 6K, Not 60K as it states. And the car only has 11K,Not 110K as the reviews states, and yes it has been in the shop 5 times in a year and a half. The followup to my last review: After being in the shop for the 5th time BMW thinks the valve slam/tapping is normal! you should hear this especially during a cold start...it sounds like crap, no kidding it slams and thumps like crazy, and this was AFTER the cylinder head replacement! the sound comes and goes still! BMW WILL NOT DO MUCH FOR YOU AFTER THESE ATTEMPTS TO FIX A DEFECTIVE ENGINE ACCEPT TELL YOU THAT THE SOUND IS NORMAL!! BE WARNED FUTURE BMW BUYERS

N52 engine really has problems
By 1978bmx on 04/03/10 09:56 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my x3 new, did my research and the x3 came in to be up there with the 3 series in quality. At around 60k the valves started to tap like crazy, (metal on metal sounds- if yours is doing this it is not normal! It needs to be repaired- don't let the dealer service people tell you it's air bubbles in the oil. It will lead to premature engine failure this should be covered under warranty) the tapping sound was especially loud with cold starts. The engine cylinder head was replaced, but the sound is more of a thumping slamming sound now, it will be in the shop this week again! Even the BMW techs I've talked to, feel the quality of BMW is really slipping.

First and Last BMW
By Gary on 03/14/10 14:47 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well German engineering aside this SUV has been the worst new car I have ever owned in 30 years of driving. It lives at the dealer. So far still cannot fix the hesitation issue which is severe in normal "D"; moon roof significant issues: needed new exhaust at 40K miles: blower motor issues; navigation system is major piece of junk: now satellite radio is defective and no parts to fix it; X drive is lousy in the snow not really a true AWD system; etc. Horrible vehicle trying to get out of the lease early. When get loaner car usually a 3 series love it. X3 is just a BMW fiasco stay far far away from any of these until they redesign it. Oh love heating steering wheel.

Second X3 better than the first
By Eric on 02/27/10 20:04 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We leased a 2005 X3 and loved it so much, we leased a new 2008 when the first lease was up. I wanted to post this review because many people post because they have an axe to grind. Both X3's we owed were excellent. The 2008 has been completely perfect, no flaws or repairs in 22,000 miles. The new 3.0si engine that was put into X3 beginning in 2007 flat out rips with 260 HP. Handling is great, yes it is a little stiff but you are rewarded with a SUV with 50:50 weight distribution and very sporty handling. If you want a cushy floaty ride, numb steering, and 30 MPG, look elsewhere.

Solid for a challenging climate
By Debbie on 01/28/09 11:20 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

For me driving in major snow storms is a given. This vehicle does everything you need it to do and feels rock solid. I drove through a monster storm this morning and to a ski resort last week on poor road conditions. I was never concerned.It tracks the road, is very stable and in the worst storm is balanced and steady. Unlike some larger SUVs I have had, the size and weight distribution on this vehicle provides a feel for the road surface and an ability to get you there. This vehicle is for someone who wants a smaller suv that can get you around in the worst of conditions. And of course, its a BMW so it goes without saying that the interior, the reliability and the extras are fantastic

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW X3 Suv in VA is:

$111 per month*