Used 2008 BMW X3 3.0si Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (33 reviews )

Never again
By ohicks

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First and last BMW. Quality is not what you would expect from a high end vehicle. Problems started almost immediately, the warranty covered the repairs not the in convince of the wasted time. After warranty ran out.. 55k miles...replaced window regulator on passenger window, at 60k miles, replaced all 6 sparks plugs. at 65 k, replaced valve cover gasket. at 67K, replaced water pump. Now at 68k, all 4 engine mount bolts have sheared..vibration broke the water pump. Never again.. Disappointed in BMW's responses.

Sheared Motor Mount Bolts
By wrh47

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

2008 BMW X3 with 59,000 miles sheared all 4 motor mount bolts in normal street driving. BMW said “tough luck”. A quick internet search indicated this was not an isolated incident, many other relatively low mileage BMW’s have had sheared motor mount bolts. I believe this problem to be a serious safety issue and filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I encourage others that have had similar problems to file NHTSA complaints at the following website: safercar.gov Click the “REPORT A VEHICLE OR CHILD SEAT DEFECT” Tab and submit your complaint. If there are enough complaints, BMW will, hopefully, be forced to acknowledge this problem.

I'm very much disappointed
By nstephanie

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've just finished the 4 year warranty with my car as of September 1st 2012. The car was at the dealer several times, the gas odometer doesn't show the actual gas in the tank even the tank is full until several days later. It does let me pump gas into it and keep stop getting gas even the tank is not half yet. The water pump was not working just 2 year for a brand new X3. The dealer had to replace a new pump because the engine shut off while I was driving several times due to no coolant water in the engine. Now the warranty is over just 22 days, the car is just 28k and the coolant water pump having the problem again. I'm very disappointed and regret that I bought this expensive car.

Favorite Features

bluetooth feature, heated seats, stable brakes

Suggested Improvements

BMW should make the car more reliable for all features since there are too many bad reviews. The car is expensive but it is not worth to spend that much. I would rather buy a Lexus. Please make a better coolant system and water pump also for the sensor for the gas tank.

BRAKES FAILED
By capricornlady

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My X3 brakes failed causing a major accident. The accident resulted in approximately $75,000 worth of damage. BMW denied any brake issues. When I picked the vehicle up from BMW body shop I had to return it. All of the brake indicator lights on the dashboard lit up. I loved how my vehicle handled, but there were frequent trips to the repair shop, including previous brake jobs. It was disturbing and disappointing that BMW denied a major issue that could have resulted in casualties. BMW blamed the car mats for the accident (sounds familiar). Yet they returned the vehicle with mats in same position. Car was in service 2 wks before accident. A co-worker friend had similiar experience.

Favorite Features

Sturdy handling, Nice design, Headlamp washers, full folding backseat, access to trunk from back seat, heated steering wheel, all wheel drive, ability to drive as automatic or manual.

Suggested Improvements

Increase back seat leg room. MOST IMPORTANT...improve brake system. Be honest! Brakes are serious, inspectors should never lie about faulty brakes even to save reputation!

2008 X3: Problem Prone
By shnoby

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned BMWs for the last 10 years; I love the way they handle. Fortunately, my 2008 X3 is a lease. At 5K a chronic, very loud engine tapping began (akin to the vehicle in the movie 'Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang.') I had it serviced at least 6 times. By 21K, the tapping reduced to a soft finger strumming, it still taps, but I deal with it. The engine strains on small & big hills & fails to shift. The car has, on *multiple* occasions, locked me inside. Neither the unlocking mechanism nor the windows opened. I drove to the dealer, called them on my cell, had them force the window down & climbed out. The interior handles, cup holders, arm rests, etc. are peeling& have been replaced once.

Favorite Features

Runs on flat tires & can be driven manually.

Suggested Improvements

See above review.