Transmission Nightmare - Recall needed
By Dooley on
2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
Driving along a back country road and slump. The transmission felt like it dropped out the bottom. It left me stranded since when I turned it back on it refused to recognize reverse, drive, any gear whatsoever. Since then I have had a "software update" and it is still extremely sluggish in first gear and before I know it I am in third at a snail pace. Highway driving is excellent but in traffic a nightmare, and unreliable shifting. I was told this is a worldwide problem by my dealer regarding X3 transmissions and although this is happening to several X3's it is not large enough to recall. There needs to be a recall. Lurching and shifting so hard that it bucks is not acceptable for a BMW.
Favorite Features
It is a comfortable cabin, nice looking and easy to maneuver in rush hour traffic. Road noise is super quiet.
Suggested Improvements
A recall needs to be issued for the "computer" operating the X3 transmission. It is dangerous and unreliable. New parking sensor technology. I need to replace all eight of mine within the first year of ownership.