Used 2007 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

2007 BMW X3

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (99 reviews )

Makes Driving Fun
By loyalbmw

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I drive a lot. Over 120 miles a day. Its sleek, powerful using the steptronics, and comfortable. I have been a BMW owner for a few years now and traded in my 06 330i for the x3. So far no complaints.

Favorite Features

Interior, steptronics, and steering.

Suggested Improvements

Stock 20 inch rims, and more power of course.

Class Ride
By Ken Nersesian

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car for my wife who was reluctant to own since she doesn't like the tight, sports car like ride. She prefers the soft, floating on air feel. Well, it's mine now. The X3 has a lot of get up and go, and you just have to breathe on the brakes to stop the vehicle. On the highway, you need self-control to keep it under 100 mph. It's like riding on a rail. However, around town in stop and go traffic, it is not smooth acceleration and shifting. It lurches off the line and then quickly starts upshifting. It's what my wife did not like about it, and I have to agree. All things considered, it is an awesome vehicle and has a real class aura about it. I highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

The looks, the highway ride, the engineering, the attention to quality, the vista moonroof, the heated steering wheel, the monaco blue color.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is ok, not great. The "unsmooth" acceleration really is disturbing. I brought it back to BMW where they re-programmed the transmission, it didn't help.

Makes me nauseated
By tbaran

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Transmission shifting issues - shifts so jerky it will actually make me car sick. Have had back to dealer 2x for updates, shifting improved, but not even close to acceptable for any vehicle, but this one is $40k+. Dealer told me fix is to shift manually - no thanks, I didn't buy a stick shift. Live in western PA, lots of hills, car will not shift out of 2nd gear starting up a hill unless speed exceeds 25 mph - that's about 3500 rpm. When you take your foot off the gas, it throws you like hitting the brakes! Terrible engineering from a premier automotive company.

Favorite Features

Like the body style, ride is excellent, particularly on the highway. Fuel economy is surprisingly good.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate 1st gear on the trans, or go to CVT technology.

Great Performing AWD
By Kuseler

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this as an American Spec X3 in Germany with the Manual 6-speed and most options; a superb driving machine. For an AWD and SUV like vehicle, it does very well on gas mileage - getting 25 hwy and 20 city, and that is at 90 mph on German Autobahns. The vehicle handles very well and the steering is outstanding. I think the 6-speed manual is key to driving pleasure and better mileage (contrary to specs) - but could not imagine using in city traffic and most state side driving stop and go conditions.

Favorite Features

6-speed manual transmission, xenon headlights, AWD, steering and handling, good cargo space with seats folded down. The parktronic features is a wise addition, allows for tight back in parking.

Suggested Improvements

The GPS is very out-dated and not too user friendly. The radio, navigation, and trip computer is not well coordinated nor are the controls wisely integrated. Hope the electronics hold in there as BMW electronics are not known for their reliability... the rear view digital compass flickers at times.

Anxiety
By Furious

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my x3 in 12/06. My first Bimmer! The third time I drove it, it quit on me. It was in the shop 9 days to re-program a computer problem. The hesitation problem others list is a perfect description of my x3. Sometimes, the hesitation has absolutely scared me. I have had a sidelight casing replaced due to moisture, have an obvious rattle from the sunroof cover and have had the lifters clacking since I bought the car. Today, I am headed to the dealer to attempt to negotiate my way out of this car into another. The only reason I'm going back to BMW is because of the known problems and my chances of recouping some of the losses on it. Do not recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Handling on the road. Cargo area is good size.

Suggested Improvements

Almost everything. Transmission, ride, cup holder, brake pedal too close to accelerator. Rattles.