Used 2007 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

2007 BMW X3 SUV

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (99 reviews )

Transmission Nightmare - Recall needed
By Dooley

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Driving along a back country road and slump. The transmission felt like it dropped out the bottom. It left me stranded since when I turned it back on it refused to recognize reverse, drive, any gear whatsoever. Since then I have had a "software update" and it is still extremely sluggish in first gear and before I know it I am in third at a snail pace. Highway driving is excellent but in traffic a nightmare, and unreliable shifting. I was told this is a worldwide problem by my dealer regarding X3 transmissions and although this is happening to several X3's it is not large enough to recall. There needs to be a recall. Lurching and shifting so hard that it bucks is not acceptable for a BMW.

Favorite Features

It is a comfortable cabin, nice looking and easy to maneuver in rush hour traffic. Road noise is super quiet.

Suggested Improvements

A recall needs to be issued for the "computer" operating the X3 transmission. It is dangerous and unreliable. New parking sensor technology. I need to replace all eight of mine within the first year of ownership.

young man... love it
By volpster

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Although this is typically a car for women, I'm a 30 year old man, and I love this car. I needed to purchase an SUV and love how the X3 drives like a sedan, but is great in the snow and on wet surfaces. I enjoy the tight steering and quickness. It's much more agile than any SUV I've ever driven.

Favorite Features

Speed, acceleration, and handling make this an awesome SUV choice. The sound system is awesome, and having controls on wheel is convenient to use.

Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde
By Eric

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is our 3rd X3, and I loved the other two, both 2005s. This seems to be a different vehicle. Same great finish and handling, but awful acceleration. As written elsewhere, it is bothersome and dangerous. I loved the responsive, fun to drive qualities of our other X3s. This one makes me scared to enter the highway. Not so fun. Once you get past 40, it is fine, but getting there can be tough. Sometimes you punch it and boom, other times you count to three before anything happens. Someone is going to get into an accident because of this. We went to the dealer and they tried a software fix, but it only made it marginally better and we seem to have lost 1-2 MPG. Disappointing.

Favorite Features

Interior, handling, safety, decent mileage, service at dealership. Fun, fun, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation (awful), Transmission (awful) bluetooth (so-so)

6 speed manual = happy
By foothills

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

There is a lot of complaining about the automatic transmission version of this machine. I bought an x3 manual with 6000 miles on it in February 2008 and have put 8000 miles on it since then. This is a great vehicle if you like driving. Fantastic low-end torque. Great acceleration in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. 5th and 6 are highway overdrives. Corners flat in aggressive driving. Have never had better brakes. Pulls a utility trailer loaded with stuff for the dump like its not there. I was skeptical about BMW reliability. No issues so far and the 100,000 mile warranty should have me covered. It doesn't have all the cup holders and storage that a Japanese vehicle has... drives much better though.

Favorite Features

The engine! This thing wants to be revved and driven. Handling is great. AWD is better in Vermont winters than a 2003 Land Cruiser and 2006 Honda Ridgeline, both sold. Performs great in all weather conditions. Passes cars on highway like they are standing still, like a four cylinder liter bike.

Suggested Improvements

If the X3 got 30 miles per gallon I would never want another car. I'm getting 18-19 overall, flogging it. 6 cd changer should be standard equipment. Overall, best vehicle I have ever had so far. All the pluses outweigh the so so gas mileage, even at $4.50/gallon.

Goodbye !
By VincentView

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I finally had enough. Took a major loss by trading in the 2007 X3. Bought the car for 43K and got 29K in trade in ! The transmission problem in my opinion is dangerous and makes the car unpredictable in many situations (turns, acceleration from stop). Although I brought it back to the dealer for the fix, the problem persisted. In my opinion, it is a disgrace that BMW has the audacity to label this thing the "ultimate driving machine". I have been permanently soured by the BMW brand. Goodbye !

Favorite Features

Exterior looks and design.

Suggested Improvements

Electronics: below industry standard. Transmission: well below industry standard.