2007 BMW X3 - Consumer Reviews

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (98 reviews )
Class Ride
By Ken Nersesian on 04/22/08 20:07 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car for my wife who was reluctant to own since she doesn't like the tight, sports car like ride. She prefers the soft, floating on air feel. Well, it's mine now. The X3 has a lot of get up and go, and you just have to breathe on the brakes to stop the vehicle. On the highway, you need self-control to keep it under 100 mph. It's like riding on a rail. However, around town in stop and go traffic, it is not smooth acceleration and shifting. It lurches off the line and then quickly starts upshifting. It's what my wife did not like about it, and I have to agree. All things considered, it is an awesome vehicle and has a real class aura about it. I highly recommend it.

Makes me nauseated
By tbaran on 04/09/08 17:16 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Transmission shifting issues - shifts so jerky it will actually make me car sick. Have had back to dealer 2x for updates, shifting improved, but not even close to acceptable for any vehicle, but this one is $40k+. Dealer told me fix is to shift manually - no thanks, I didn't buy a stick shift. Live in western PA, lots of hills, car will not shift out of 2nd gear starting up a hill unless speed exceeds 25 mph - that's about 3500 rpm. When you take your foot off the gas, it throws you like hitting the brakes! Terrible engineering from a premier automotive company.

Great Performing AWD
By Kuseler on 03/30/08 07:08 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this as an American Spec X3 in Germany with the Manual 6-speed and most options; a superb driving machine. For an AWD and SUV like vehicle, it does very well on gas mileage - getting 25 hwy and 20 city, and that is at 90 mph on German Autobahns. The vehicle handles very well and the steering is outstanding. I think the 6-speed manual is key to driving pleasure and better mileage (contrary to specs) - but could not imagine using in city traffic and most state side driving stop and go conditions.

Anxiety
By Furious on 03/22/08 06:16 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my x3 in 12/06. My first Bimmer! The third time I drove it, it quit on me. It was in the shop 9 days to re-program a computer problem. The hesitation problem others list is a perfect description of my x3. Sometimes, the hesitation has absolutely scared me. I have had a sidelight casing replaced due to moisture, have an obvious rattle from the sunroof cover and have had the lifters clacking since I bought the car. Today, I am headed to the dealer to attempt to negotiate my way out of this car into another. The only reason I'm going back to BMW is because of the known problems and my chances of recouping some of the losses on it. Do not recommend this car to anyone.

Bad Transmission
By Dad on 02/22/08 08:24 AM (PST)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle to be both fun and utility vehicle. The transmission behaves so erratically it is downright dangerous. On more than several occasions its lack of response has cause near fatal accidents. It typically hesitates between 2-3 gear which is where you are at when entering a turn-about or merging into traffic quickly. The sports drive mode down shifts so hard that you swear you have been "rear-ended" by another driver. BMWNA has tried to pass this off as part of the "adaptive" or learning features of this car.

X3 weaknesses
By Heidi Gross on 01/23/08 21:34 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

There is definite hesitation when attempting quick acceleration. The gps is horrendous! Neither my husband nor myself have figured out how to enter addresses. It just shouldn't be this difficult. His aftermarket gps works like a dream. Not only is it easy to imput data, but also warns of traffic slow downs and alternative routes. The stereo is mediocre. The controls are mediocre.

Disappointing Transmission
By Jason on 01/13/08 16:09 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Original impression of X3 3.0si on test drive was quite positive. I purchased a certified X3 3.0si with 12K miles. Car handles well and has powerful engine. Transmission is erratic at best. Sometimes does not engage at all, others shifts very hard and can cause nausea in passengers. BMW service can't find issue which suggests that they have not figured out optimal transmission match to the 3.0si engine in the X3.

Great small SUV package
By portland buyer on 09/18/07 21:39 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Picked it up in Munich on the European delivery plan. Fantastic to drive in the Austrian and Slovenian Alps. Now driving it for normal U.S. city driving and it continues to be a pleasure. A very few, very minor issues: oddly placed cupholder on passenger side, for example. But have experienced none of the transmission problems others complain of, and the overall quality is high. This replaced an Acura TL. I liked the TL a lot, but like the X3 better.

Sports Car Performance, SUV Size
By BMWGUy on 09/08/07 17:53 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this when it was between the Acura RDX and Lexus RX. The Bimmer won out with every feature available and I am loving it. Its reliability has been spot on and it has a better warranty than Toyota, Honda and GM! If bought, be sure to get a tire warranty. I got a nail in mine and got it repaired for $400! It shows how good the BMW's quality is. Best buy for sure!

All I Expected and More
By Nevada_X3_Owner on 09/06/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is, without question, the best automobile I've ever owned. It is powerful, responsive, agile for its size/weight and BMW's N52 straight-6 engine is buttery smooth and quiet. (Although one doesn't hear it inside the vehicle, from outside the vehicle the X3's exhaust note has a nice bit of a growl.) I opted for the 6-speed manual transmission, and I must say it takes a bit of getting used to. The clutch pedal has a lot of "travel" in it, but the engagement point is a fairly narrow area quite near to where the clutch pedal is in its undepressed state. I'm impressed with the fit and finish of the vehicle and it just has a nice, solid feel to it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.