Manual transmission and Sunroof
By wnull on
2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
My wife and I traded in our car with our baby on the way and wanted an SUV that had both a manual transmission and a sun roof. NO new cars come with both so We picked up our 2006 X3 with 68K and now have about 77K after almost a year and absolutely love it! The storage in the back is a little tight but the movable tie downs are great. We ended up buying the crossbars for the roof so we can put a cargo box on top for our annually beach vacation. Worked wonderfully. Gas mileage has been pretty good, with summer gas and a trip to north western pa (No roof rack) we managed between 25-26mpg 85-90% highway. Around town we get anywhere from 18-21, depending on who's driving.
Favorite Features
The full moon/sun roof is pretty darn cool. Just be warned that if you have an original sun roof cassette it may crap out and cost from 1,500 to 3k to get replaced. It appears ours was already replaced and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). the sound system is pretty nice The X drive works great and gives me a little piece of mind if my wife is driving in the snow with our little one.
Suggested Improvements
The seats are pretty good for short trips but our 5 hour drive through pa made our butts a bit sore. I hear the newer X3's are much more comfortable but I like the price of the used one's better. Price to work on the car. In doing some preventative maintenance the cost is stupid high for some stuff. Of course with it being used some things are banged up and I'd like to order replacement parts to make the car look nicer but the cost is to much. Like the window control unit has the top layer of plastic peeling off of it but for a new one it's almost 200 bucks. I'll stick with the peeling or take it off and paint it myself. rear facing car seat eats up front space if you're 6' tall