Used 2006 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

3.0i 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (47 reviews )

Manual transmission and Sunroof
By wnull

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My wife and I traded in our car with our baby on the way and wanted an SUV that had both a manual transmission and a sun roof. NO new cars come with both so We picked up our 2006 X3 with 68K and now have about 77K after almost a year and absolutely love it! The storage in the back is a little tight but the movable tie downs are great. We ended up buying the crossbars for the roof so we can put a cargo box on top for our annually beach vacation. Worked wonderfully. Gas mileage has been pretty good, with summer gas and a trip to north western pa (No roof rack) we managed between 25-26mpg 85-90% highway. Around town we get anywhere from 18-21, depending on who's driving.

Favorite Features

The full moon/sun roof is pretty darn cool. Just be warned that if you have an original sun roof cassette it may crap out and cost from 1,500 to 3k to get replaced. It appears ours was already replaced and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). the sound system is pretty nice The X drive works great and gives me a little piece of mind if my wife is driving in the snow with our little one.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are pretty good for short trips but our 5 hour drive through pa made our butts a bit sore. I hear the newer X3's are much more comfortable but I like the price of the used one's better. Price to work on the car. In doing some preventative maintenance the cost is stupid high for some stuff. Of course with it being used some things are banged up and I'd like to order replacement parts to make the car look nicer but the cost is to much. Like the window control unit has the top layer of plastic peeling off of it but for a new one it's almost 200 bucks. I'll stick with the peeling or take it off and paint it myself. rear facing car seat eats up front space if you're 6' tall

Very good CPO Buy
By mmuv

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this 4 yr old X3 in August and so far it is a very good small suv. The tranny is ultra smooth, the engine is smooth & torquey. Steering is BMW excellent. Build quality is very good. Consumer Reports gives it a best buy for the '06 yr & good reliability or I wouldn't have purchased it. So far no problems. I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a good used suv in the $20K-$25K range

Favorite Features

Premium pkg has lthr etc. much better than vinyl. heated seats. auto turn on/off headlights. stereo is good too.

Suggested Improvements

more & better cup holders!! Deeper seats-too short for my legs. 6 cd player.

Top SUV
By pinoyfrnc

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you enjoy speed with a dash of mobility, flexibility, security and don't have a lot of commitment in life except to be with your love ones to include all your pets. This is the vehicle to get. Perfect size and comfort for the couple and/or some that just wanna go out and play some more.

Favorite Features

Safety i.e. airbags front, side rear in- call etc.

Suggested Improvements

Interior. Front dash looks generic for a luxury SUV.

Why had I been driving anything else?
By TMA

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After 130K in a Pathfinder, I was looking for something a little more sporty, solid, fun to drive but still large to haul kids. Looked at a lot of replacement options but fell in love with the X3 about five minutes off the dealer lot in a test drive. Transmission is great. Smooth ride. It's hard to take my foot off the accelerator. Only complaint is the weird/basic radio system and "always on" lighter outlets. Hate to replace the radio with an aftermarket, but I need satellite radio, USB port for I- pod and an AUX port. Just learned today that they have discontinued production on Sirius receivers for the factory radio. I'm going to put the Ipod/AUX ports up in the top dash compartment.

Favorite Features

Transmission. Heated seats and steering wheel. Panoramic roof. Exterior design beauty.

Suggested Improvements

Better cabin storage and full-service stereo. The Manual "SD" shift option is neat, but the time from shifting in the car to the actual shift in the transmission is a little slow.

After 3 year lease, had to buy it!
By John in Pittsburgh

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After 35K miles, my assessment of this well-designed vehicle is you get what you pay for. It is not a sports car, so don't expect it to drive like a 3 series sedan, but then again, it doesn't drive like a truck either. The handling is still more impressive than a lot of cars, especially considering it's an SUV (er, sorry BMW marketing guys... "SAV"). It's not a luxury car, so don't buy it if you're looking for a smooth, refined ride. However, if you want something that is truly fun to drive, yet also has a practical side (meaning you can actually give rides to adults and shop at The Home Depot) the X3 is a great choice. I constantly get genuine compliments from friends who own luxury sedans.

Favorite Features

Panoramic moon roof is always a hit with anyone I give rides to. Open the roof, put down the windows and it feels like you're in a convertible. Reversible flooring in trunk and adjustable tie-down hooks are very useful, as is the Bluetooth connectivity. I have to admit I really like the 18" wheels.

Suggested Improvements

I really like the functionality of the Bluetooth feature, but it can be very flaky if not paired with a recommended phone, and I was told that doing so can cause permanent damage to the computer system. There are no firmware updates to fix the problem, so don't bother buying a newer BlackBerry. :(