First BMW ever!
By andycindy8288 on
2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
After my wife and I have bought the 2005 BMW X3 3.0i. We had no idea how different BMW's where compared to us having a toyota corolla and growing up with ford cars and hondas. At 82K miles we have yet to have any issues with our X3 3.0 aside from guzzling gas at an unexpected rate. But thats a given since we love to put it to the mettle with our 3.0i V6 on the high ways everyday we go to work, and we are on the highways a lot. We where surprised how a midsize SUV like the the BMW X3 3.0i can pack so much and have so many little surprises that you wont find out until you push it to the limit. It has ample enough room and yes the ride is rough, but this is a sports based midsize SUV.
Favorite Features
Power and torque is impeccable with the 3.0i engine especially the fact that it has an all wheel drive train. Enough room to fit my whole family speciously. Enough cargo room for luggage. Great sun/moon roof. Interior is designed liked an sports performance car, though a bit cheap looking but with a sporty feel to it. Controls and dials a easy to use. Great Dash board inter face. Body of the X3 feels like bullet proof. Sexy exterior design. 6 air bags, and has a five star frontal safety rating, and 4 star side impact. Thick interior soft plastic that is great for eliminating road nose. Impeccable sound system and easy to use radio controls. Seat warmers are great, never loose heat.
Suggested Improvements
Cost of maintenance is ridicules especially for minor things like oil changes and changing brake pads, you would think it wont be that much, but wait till you start dropping doe till your account is empty on this car just to keep it running. The manual sucks, just to know how to figure where to oil plug is, you would have to go to a mechanic to tell you that. My toyota's manual tells you where to oil plug is. Cheap plastic paint, it peals off. After 80K miles doors start to squeak, BMW cant figure out why. Not replacing new hinges $790. To much complications with on board computer systems. What happened to simple mechanical cars? Whats with all this computer crap in cars?
By andycindy8288
on 04/26/13 10:23 AM (PDT)

Your right about the V6 deal. I was trying to make a point, I guess it was a bad one. Sorry...

By jaxmike
on 06/22/11 06:16 AM (PDT)

There is no such thing as a "V6" in the X3 (or any production BMW) ever. The straight-6 format is a stronger engine which is why BMW builds them. I also own an 05 X3 3.0. When I use ethanol-free gas, my highway mileage is up in the 23-25 miles per gallon range. The newer X3s have 6 or more "speeds" in the gearbox, so they get better mileage. However, as inexpensive as the 2005 BMW was when purchased as a "CPO" from the dealer, the value far outweighed the fuel costs.

By andycindy8288
on 04/26/13 10:32 AM (PDT)

After 1 Year and 4 Months no problem. Until the expansion tank cracked..... Yeas, the most stupid thing I think is BMW putting a plastic expansion tank in the car. There is so much pressure in the expansion tank that it could probably generate enough steam to operate a motor bike engine. I fixed my self but dint put enough coolant. So I took it to BMW and they found oil up the wiring harness all the way to the on board computer???? WHAT! Yes you read right. I asked them the same question about that, and their response was that sometimes oil climbs up the wiring system and into the computer of the car? Theres no way oil had little oil feet and just climb through the wiring equipment. I could not believe it, either the technicians or the BMW X3. I sold the car ASAP because of that. I took care of this car like I take care of my baby. But, that right there dose it for me.