2005 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Great Crossover
By rich r on 05/03/05 21:43 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Great performance from BMW as usual. Handles just like a 3-series. Fantastic brakes and road feel.

BMW X3 3.0
By Ahmet Colakoglu on 05/03/05 13:17 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have 1000 miles on the vehicle. Not a single problem til now. The sun roof is gorgeous and unique. Except the black bumper, the exterior design is the best in the segment, if not among all SUVs. I find people checking my car all the time. The performance is great for an SUV. Very confident drive in foul weather, rain sensing wipers and adaptive xenon lights help a lot. I do not have the sport package and I find the suspension sporty and comfortable. The transmission has excellent responses with the sport mode, however downshifts are late with the regular mode. And it is not expensive, I get 18-19 mpg, not bad.

X3 is worthy of the BMW name
By Michael C on 04/27/05 17:06 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

If you are looking for an SUV that is big enough to haul some serious stuff, yet corners and handles well enough to keep a smile on your face, then this is the vehicle for you. The suspension keeps the car from rolling in the corners, and the traction and stability control (both standard) keep everything firmly planted. There is a "sport" suspension package available, but I didn't get it. The 6 speed manual is the slickest I've ever driven in an SUV - it's very well matched to the in- line 6 cylinder. The engine is sweet too, with plenty of low rev torque. I've owned 7 new very nice sporty Japenese SUVs and liked them all. But after driving the BMW X3, I don't think I will ever go back.

Practical SUV and a joy to drive
By Jim Burdelski on 04/23/05 22:53 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I shopped around for about a year and finally settled on the BMW X3. I would recommend the panorama sunroof and if you ride bikes, get the trailor hitch. No need for ski rack because skis fit very easily in the back. I'm getting between 20-23 mpg with regular gas. For little less than 35,000, it's a great SUV.

Awesome
By ed on 04/21/05 17:06 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Had the car less than a year. With my previous car I needed a back support to drive long distances. With the X3 I arrive at my destination fresh and ready to enjoy. It is amazing. The driving experience is as advertised - fun. We purchased the car because of its size, but strangely enough we have used it to move furniture, and other bulky items. so the car performs on many levels. What is the most amazing - people actually think i paid more than the final negotiated selling price. This is value.

Solid fun ride
By James Massaro on 04/21/05 08:16 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The X3 is an amazing ride. It is fun to drive and easy to handle. It has a smooth ride like a sedan. The cabin is comfortable and has a lot of neat fratures. We have had other SUV's in this class and they do not compare.

Not as pleased as I thought I would be
By Robert Nierman on 04/09/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

When we bought the BMW X3 (our first) we were very pleased with it. As we drove it and got in and out of it, we were disappointed. They put a stupid ridge that gets in your way when you try to get out of the SUV and you have to lift your feet up or trip. Same as getting in. It's also hard to see out of when you are backing up. Too many blinded spots and the passenger's mirror moves down when you put the SUV in reverse which can cause you not to see that well. It is a stiff ride and god forbid you hit a speed bump too fast. We bought the BMW X3 for the leg room, since I'm 6'4", because I can extend my legs. Would I buy the BMW X3 again, NO.

Fun to drive
By TG on 04/08/05 20:50 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is extremely fun to drive. Even with the 2.5l, the vehicle accelerates nicely. Handling is all BMW. While the interior is sparse, it is functional.

Another BMW Winner
By MarianneB on 03/31/05 12:27 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We moved from a 3-Series to the X3 and really didn't miss a beat. The functionality of the X3 was the biggest reason for us: hauling kids, dogs, hockey gear, ski and snow boards, groceries, etc. I miss the ride and better grade materials from the 3-Series however and plan to order the new 325xi and give the X3 to my husband! BMWs surpass all other cars we've owned with exceptional service, reliability, safety and incredible handling and braking. The one thing I'd change about the X3 is the low hps in the engines. With all the competition out there, surely BMW recognizes the need to boost the power without boosting the cost. It shouldn't cost an extra $6K to get the 3.0.

BMW X3
By BMW X3 on 03/27/05 20:37 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Of the more than dozen new cars that I have owned; the BMW X3, 3.0 is the finest automobile that I have purchased. My first thousand miles have been a shear joy. If your looking for a car to get you and the family around town in, no matter what the weather is outside, then consider the X3. It has the accolades that you would expect in a BMW, (handling/performance, and quality). The X3 is a combination of cars, the sports sedan, and the SUV. BMW calls it SAV, (sport activity vehicle). However, if your looking to go off road then this my not be the SUV or SAV that your looking for. I don’t think it is “Trail Rated.”