2005 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
X3 BMW Beyond Expectations
By H. Jones on 06/01/05 00:51 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I just turned 19000 miles. My gas mileage in light to moderate traffic is consistently between 20 and 21 mpg. On the road the mileage is consistently between 26 to 27.5 mpg. The handling is great; few cars handle this well! I think the 2.5 is enough power and transmission shifts nicely. I live in mountainous country and the 2.5 is just fine on steep grades at altitudes from 4000 to 9000 feet. It is great in the snow, on wet roads and even muddy conditions. The X-drive works almost instantaneously. You can spend more but I don't think you could buy anything better. No I don't like the clutch and break pedals so close together.

Happy but Sore
By KEG on 05/26/05 00:56 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Have had this car for three months, and so far absolutely no complaints other than a very harsh ride with the sport package. Believe them when they say it is harsh!! This is not a problem at all on regular roads, but uneven pavement/ dirt roads/ speed bumps, etc are brutal. Good handling makes it worth the sacrifice, maybe. Navigation system is a fun feature, although inputting the destination is a little time-consuming. Some passengers have commented that it is difficult to get in and out, although I have had no problem. Very fun commuter vehicle overall, looks great, and has a nice cargo space as a bonus!

Beemer, but a step down?
By Jimmy James on 05/20/05 00:28 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I also own a 745li. This is absolutely nothing like that, of course. If you are looking for a low priced, quality, but not to any extent luxurious suv, get the X3. It is tremendous in the snow and conditions like that. The navigation system is top notch. It is extremely easy to operate, and works to perfection. DO NOT GET LEATHERETTE SEATING, I have leather and that is not comfortable either.

A nice all-in-one package
By Robin B on 05/17/05 16:28 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

She wanted the height and the all-wheel drive of an SUV and I wanted the fun and spirited drive of a convertible sports sedan. The BMW X3 exceeds all of those desires. The driving qualities are second only to that of the BMW and Audi sports sedans, far better than any of the other SUVs we tried. Plus, it has the added versatility of a deceivingly large cargo space and an excellent all-wheel drive system. To top it all off, the panoramic sunroof makes it feel like a convertible. You'd be hard pressed to find a more versitile vehicle. Having seen the 2004 and 2005 models, the issue of interior build quality appears to have been dealt with. The X3 provides good value.

Bimmer
By Joel on 05/17/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car, owned 5 months now, typical bimmer quirks-power locks have acted up, passenger side rear view stopped working when putting car in reverse. And, of course, I could care less since this is the best performing car for it's size i have ever driven. I love it. Of course I want more power, but this puppy is ample for sure.

Fun in the Sun
By Old&Restless on 05/15/05 01:30 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Very good experience. Excellent handling and a safe drive in snow & ice. I have about 5000 miles on the car and had no problems whatsoever. This machine is finely engineered and does not remind me that I am in an SUV, except through its amazing x-drive and a high seating position. In addition, with the high residual value and low leasing rates, this car is a steal, especially compared to similarly priced cars.

Good Car
By Bubba on 05/13/05 09:29 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Fun to drive great car for running around, easy access to trunk to throw things in like a 5th door.

fun car
By cb on 05/08/05 16:56 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Maybe not the most practical car of all time (especially if you need a lot of cargo space) but has all the features I want. It is really fun to drive while at the same time providing some of the features of an SUV -- all wheel drive and a good view of the road. Handles a lot better than any other SUV I've driven, including the X5. Back seat is big enough to seat adults comfortably, which is not true of all the competition (e.g., Lexus). And I love the huge moonroof.

Our First Bimmer
By eg on 05/08/05 03:37 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Our car is new, so my review is based on first impressions. The BMW X3 3.0l, is a great SUV that offers many standard option. I find the vehicle easy to drive and handle, this coming from someone who has always driven small sedans. I love the moonroof (very big) and the car key memory feature. I only have to open the car with my personal key, and the car readjusts the seat and the mirrors to my personal settings. My one con would be that the interior would look better with more wood trim then what is available.

Best I've Owned
By Nancy Benson on 05/07/05 10:17 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Looked at the 2.5 in the 2004 model. Waited and bought the 3.0 2005 model which included more options and priced better this second model year. This is an SUV that drives like a sedan with plenty of storage/hauling room in the back. I am very happy with the interior quality also. The handling is great... was amazing during the winter months. Would own two of these! Not only does the X3 hug the road, handle great, have great pick-up, but it is sooo much fun to drive. If you are hestitant to buy this, don't be.. it will not disappoint.