Used 2005 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

2005 BMW X3

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Head turner but only adequate value
By Chrisgiraffe

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

BMW X3 is the best SUV design on the road as attested to by the many copies springing up these days. The exterior alone sold me. Perfect size, perfect space, more car than truck-like, very open interior, very solid feel and very sporty. If you want to keep some of your youth but want room to haul a growing family, this is your SUV. One suggestion though: get the premium package (leather). The standard (non-premium) package feels like driving in a big styrofoam cup that's always rubbing you the wrong way and the sport package will likely make you sick on long drives. My major complaint is the price, esp. when compared with similar SUVs (Volvo XC90) that offer more.

Favorite Features

Sharp exterior, few if any blindspots, solid feel, panoramic roof, spacious but not a behemoth, decent interior storage spots.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, better interior materials (compare X3 w/ premium package to a Volvo XC90 and you'll be bummed), bigger and more cupholders, bigger glove box, stronger engine (3.0 is barely adequate), standard auxiliary input for iPod or standard multi-CD changer, lower price.

The best SUV for the money
By Peyman

2005 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We have owned our 2.5L X3 for over a year now and we could not be happier. This is an excellent crossover SUV.

Favorite Features

Styling is superb and handling and ride is excellent. Also this crossover SUV has best in class safety.

Suggested Improvements

None. Bring back the 2.5L engine as it is an excellent powertrain from the best engine company in the world, BMW. We also have a 323i with the same 2.5L engine and we love them both.

Not the most reliable
By chloe

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Want to love my vehicle, but it was towed 8 days ago because it wouldn't start and service dept is still trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Has spent 30+ days in the shop since I leased it at the end of Aug 05, and has less than 12,000 miles. Multiple repairs, including replacement of belt tensioner and pulley (twice), parking brake repair, mold in A/C system at 8000 miles, transmission reprogrammed, key FOBs keep failing, hatch out of alignment, various rattles, sunroof malfunctioning, dash keeps going black while driving, airbag mat replaced. Too much of a headache for the hefty price tag.

Favorite Features

Controlled steering, good size, nice looking, handles well in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality. Make it easier for dealership to diagnose and fix issues without having to consult the manufacturer first.

Love Love Love Love It....
By bmwgirl

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I looked at the X3 on the advice of a friend who had one. I will never buy another car again. This is a fun, reliable car that is a blast to drive. It handles like any other BMW I have had the pleasure of driving. It is truly the Ultimate Driving Machine... the X3 is meant to be driven. I love the blue tooth option, hands free cell phone with my son in the car. It's great. An excellent choice for moms on the go.

Favorite Features

The size of the moon roof is great with kids. The stereo sounds great and the blue tooth technology is highly recommended. Very roomy backseat for its size. My son knows when I am coming from the sound of the motor - how cool.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything else this car could need.

Disappointed
By alex

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is not built very well - it has developed all sorts squeaks, creaks and rattles. The ride is very firm, even a slightest road irregularity gives you a hard jolt. The cargo capacity is surprisingly low, although the car does not look too small. I would not buy this car again and would not recommend it to anyone else.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality, ride comfort, fuel economy.