2005 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Not happy
By Not Happy on 11/04/08 12:52 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second bimmer, I realize it is not the luxury model of my 528I but the sunroof rattles, the fuses to my 12v outlets keep blowing,Interior black on black is peeling, none of these things are covered and I must pay for diagnostic to discover problems and then they aren't covered by warranty. I'm thinking about trading. Love the look, hate the quality.

Buy it!!
By tudm5 on 06/13/08 07:48 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We replaced my wife's 2000 528i with this beauty. I could not say enough good things about X3. If you are worried about gas mileage, or expecting soft Buick like ride then BMW is not for you. BMW is The Ultimate Driving Machine not a sofa.

There are better values out there
By clydesdalecm on 12/27/07 12:15 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This X3 is a sharp car and drives like a 3 series sedan...this is a blast to drive. Outside of that, it gets less attractive. It isn't very big for an SUV (ie Doesn't carry a lot of stuff or people). The fuel economy for a V6 is horrible (maybe 17-18MPG?) Four passengers in this thing feels like too many. The trunk is tiny (can't fit 1 set of golf clubs across). And the interior features aren't stellar for a $40K vehicle.

Head turner but only adequate value
By Chrisgiraffe on 07/23/07 16:52 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

BMW X3 is the best SUV design on the road as attested to by the many copies springing up these days. The exterior alone sold me. Perfect size, perfect space, more car than truck-like, very open interior, very solid feel and very sporty. If you want to keep some of your youth but want room to haul a growing family, this is your SUV. One suggestion though: get the premium package (leather). The standard (non-premium) package feels like driving in a big styrofoam cup that's always rubbing you the wrong way and the sport package will likely make you sick on long drives. My major complaint is the price, esp. when compared with similar SUVs (Volvo XC90) that offer more.

Not the most reliable
By chloe on 11/27/06 19:06 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Want to love my vehicle, but it was towed 8 days ago because it wouldn't start and service dept is still trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Has spent 30+ days in the shop since I leased it at the end of Aug 05, and has less than 12,000 miles. Multiple repairs, including replacement of belt tensioner and pulley (twice), parking brake repair, mold in A/C system at 8000 miles, transmission reprogrammed, key FOBs keep failing, hatch out of alignment, various rattles, sunroof malfunctioning, dash keeps going black while driving, airbag mat replaced. Too much of a headache for the hefty price tag.

Love Love Love Love It....
By bmwgirl on 06/16/06 06:27 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I looked at the X3 on the advice of a friend who had one. I will never buy another car again. This is a fun, reliable car that is a blast to drive. It handles like any other BMW I have had the pleasure of driving. It is truly the Ultimate Driving Machine... the X3 is meant to be driven. I love the blue tooth option, hands free cell phone with my son in the car. It's great. An excellent choice for moms on the go.

Disappointed
By alex on 04/21/06 13:39 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is not built very well - it has developed all sorts squeaks, creaks and rattles. The ride is very firm, even a slightest road irregularity gives you a hard jolt. The cargo capacity is surprisingly low, although the car does not look too small. I would not buy this car again and would not recommend it to anyone else.

X 3
By Bob t on 04/19/06 16:23 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nice SAV ride could be a little softer, great handling, good traction interior dash could use some improvement (looks) gas mileage ok. This is a performance SUV.

Fun to drive, room to spare
By jaaX3 on 02/25/06 11:48 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Buy the X3 if you are looking for utility and fun! I haul my dog and my wife's shopping bags almost daily. It is also my daily driver to work. I can get there in style and have fun with it. It has AMAZING handling. This SAV has good punch to it, too. The only bad thing I would say is the gas mileage.

Love it ....but..
By SONYA on 02/18/06 14:20 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great to drive, well built, but way to complicated gadget wise. If one were to learn to operate everything this vehicle has without repeated references to the manual, one would be qualified to pilot a 747. Setting radio stations required over an hour of poring over the manual. Give me an AC system where I can set the vents and fan speed and not have the computer change it every minute. My husband was seriously considering buying one for himself, but has now changed his mind.