2005 BMW X3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Incredible SAV
By vacabundo on 12/09/08 12:01 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this x3 for 4 months and MAN, it's great. We own a 2003 325Cic, and the x3 handles and moves better. Stability and handling are just amazing, let alone the braking capabilities. The 5-speed auto tranny is just right and shifts smoothly, the sport program feels eager to go, downshifting and holding gears in the right moments and situations. The tiptronic manual program is great when you want to really drive. I would rather have a 6 speed manual, you lose invaluable torque with the automatic, but not a big deal. Cornering is just like a 3-series. The aggressive look is perfect, it tells BMW all around, love the style.

Not happy
By Not Happy on 11/04/08 12:52 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second bimmer, I realize it is not the luxury model of my 528I but the sunroof rattles, the fuses to my 12v outlets keep blowing,Interior black on black is peeling, none of these things are covered and I must pay for diagnostic to discover problems and then they aren't covered by warranty. I'm thinking about trading. Love the look, hate the quality.

Buy it!!
By tudm5 on 06/13/08 07:48 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We replaced my wife's 2000 528i with this beauty. I could not say enough good things about X3. If you are worried about gas mileage, or expecting soft Buick like ride then BMW is not for you. BMW is The Ultimate Driving Machine not a sofa.

There are better values out there
By clydesdalecm on 12/27/07 12:15 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This X3 is a sharp car and drives like a 3 series sedan...this is a blast to drive. Outside of that, it gets less attractive. It isn't very big for an SUV (ie Doesn't carry a lot of stuff or people). The fuel economy for a V6 is horrible (maybe 17-18MPG?) Four passengers in this thing feels like too many. The trunk is tiny (can't fit 1 set of golf clubs across). And the interior features aren't stellar for a $40K vehicle.

Great Car
By PR on 09/15/07 21:20 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The 2.5 has been surprisingly zippy to drive. It is the best car on snow that I have ever owned. Very rough ride and poor fuel economy are my two key complaints. I've never had any significant problems and I have about 45,000 miles on it now. It had several nuisance problems while under warranty like rattles and problems with warning lights but nothing significant. BMW seems a little loose on their quality control, especially for the price. Overall, however, the car is excellent. I have noticed it is a head turner too. People still stop and look at it in parking lots and it is two years old.

Head turner but only adequate value
By Chrisgiraffe on 07/23/07 16:52 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

BMW X3 is the best SUV design on the road as attested to by the many copies springing up these days. The exterior alone sold me. Perfect size, perfect space, more car than truck-like, very open interior, very solid feel and very sporty. If you want to keep some of your youth but want room to haul a growing family, this is your SUV. One suggestion though: get the premium package (leather). The standard (non-premium) package feels like driving in a big styrofoam cup that's always rubbing you the wrong way and the sport package will likely make you sick on long drives. My major complaint is the price, esp. when compared with similar SUVs (Volvo XC90) that offer more.

The best SUV for the money
By Peyman on 12/19/06 20:37 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We have owned our 2.5L X3 for over a year now and we could not be happier. This is an excellent crossover SUV.

Not the most reliable
By chloe on 11/27/06 19:06 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Want to love my vehicle, but it was towed 8 days ago because it wouldn't start and service dept is still trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Has spent 30+ days in the shop since I leased it at the end of Aug 05, and has less than 12,000 miles. Multiple repairs, including replacement of belt tensioner and pulley (twice), parking brake repair, mold in A/C system at 8000 miles, transmission reprogrammed, key FOBs keep failing, hatch out of alignment, various rattles, sunroof malfunctioning, dash keeps going black while driving, airbag mat replaced. Too much of a headache for the hefty price tag.

Love Love Love Love It....
By bmwgirl on 06/16/06 06:27 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I looked at the X3 on the advice of a friend who had one. I will never buy another car again. This is a fun, reliable car that is a blast to drive. It handles like any other BMW I have had the pleasure of driving. It is truly the Ultimate Driving Machine... the X3 is meant to be driven. I love the blue tooth option, hands free cell phone with my son in the car. It's great. An excellent choice for moms on the go.

Disappointed
By alex on 04/21/06 13:39 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is not built very well - it has developed all sorts squeaks, creaks and rattles. The ride is very firm, even a slightest road irregularity gives you a hard jolt. The cargo capacity is surprisingly low, although the car does not look too small. I would not buy this car again and would not recommend it to anyone else.