2005 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Great Car!!
By Happy X3 Driver on 02/14/05 18:36 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I really love this car. If you are a fan of the squishy soft ride of American makes and lots of interior clutter marketed as luxury, this is NOT the car for you. This car is clean and uncluttered. It drives like a sports car! It is a little pricey, but so are its American "tank" cousins cleverly disguised as SUVS and IT IS a BMW with all the engineering superiority that comes with it!! The X3 is so solid! The steptronic transmission is outstanding in bad weather. It looks great and is truly a drivers car. I can't say enough about it. I love it!

BMW X3
By vintagecarguy on 02/13/05 15:39 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 7th BMW and currently my "winter BMW." I drive a Z4 3.0 most of the year (with Dunlop winter tires for the winter: just in case I'm caught out without the X3). The X3 drives like the last 3 series sedan I owned (325i) and totally unlike any SUV. The stock Pirelli all season tires are somewhat of a compromise in the snow and on ice, but the X drive makes up for it. The trade-off is the dry weather handling, which is "standard 3 series." I would not consider the 18" wheels, because of all the reports I've read and the fact that there are too many pot holes in Mass waiting to bend big rims. If you want a great combo, go for the Z4 and X3, which will exceed any one car's performance.

Safe, fun, good looking
By ed on 02/13/05 11:20 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

With this car I have yet to have a backache. I have the basic X3. People think that the car cost 10k more than what i paid for it - even without leather seats. Turning corners is a rush especially feeling very secure with the vehicle. Can't rave enough about the steering. My 2.5i is enough.

Driving for fun
By Paul Brooks on 02/12/05 15:08 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

BMW got the X3 just right, this car is just the most fun to drive! This compact SUV is just right the size, unlike some of those oversized monsters that hog the road, including it's oversized big brother the X5. The drive is quiet and very comfortable, and the peformance is thrilling, this baby drives! The X3 is a true BMW, the styling is a little conservative but the reeks of BMW confidence that does not need to impress, no vulgarity with this car, it does its job with style and delivers results that BMW drivers expect.

Love my little SUV!
By Karina on 02/10/05 04:04 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I just love this little SUV! Everyone who sees my X3 asks why I don't have an X5, very snobbishly. The fun part is when I get to reply that I do. Well, it's my husband's car. I had to drive his X5 while we shopped around for my car and I have to say I did not enjoy driving the X5 it was very hard to drive. It was a work out to try and turn this tank of an SUV the X5. My husband loves his X5 & all it's manly power. The X3 is very nimble and very easy to drive. It is the ladies' BMW SUV. And my two small children love that the sunroof opens all the way back over their car seats. The X5 is bigger but the sun roof won't do that. Only con is small interior space. Mommy's cool car!

Disapointed! BMW X3
By sean on 02/09/05 18:11 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nice styling and handling. Poor fuel economy. Extremely cheap looking interior. Driving the X3 makes me feel that I am driving a 'Low End" BMW. (i.e. BMW 318). It does not feel like an introductory level SUV. It feels like a "Poor Mans"Womens Bimmer"!

Disappointed! BMW X3
By sean on 02/09/05 18:11 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nice styling and handling. Poor fuel economy. Extremely cheap looking interior. Driving the X3 makes me feel that I am driving a 'Low End" BMW. (i.e. BMW 318). It does not feel like an introductory level SUV. It feels like a "Poor Man's Bimmer"!

Fun to drive!
By jackdogdc on 02/08/05 09:54 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I moved up from a Subaru Forester, which was a great, reliable little SUV, but no where near as much outright fun as the X3. The X3 goes exactly where I point it, on curves and straightaways. It accelerates smoothly and responsively, with a nice engine roar. The only drawbacks are a rear cargo compartment that could be roomier, and a rather clunky exterior design that you either love or hate. Fuel economy could also be improved. But none of that matters too much to me because of the funI' having behind the wheeel.

Glad I Waited For 05
By DurangoDoug on 02/07/05 19:14 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The 05 X3 3.0 comes in at around $2,500 less than the 04 version. Because the MSRP stayed the same, but the moonroof is now standard and the auto tranny is now a no cost option. In 04 those 2 cost about $2,500 combined. Yea, the ride is a bit stiff, but no worse than the truck I traded. Yet with the X3 there is no body lean in turns. Cornering is so much fun now, not like my wallowing truck. Gas mileage is already better (only 500 miles so far) than my old V8 truck and should get better as the engine loosens up. Even in regular drive mode it is spirited, in sport mode WOW, really quick! Great in the snow as well. I negotiated $1,750 off vs an Edmunds target price of around $400 off. Sweet!

Very nice SAV
By RICH on 02/06/05 15:11 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Handles better than any SUV,(SAV) Ive ever driven...Feels just like a car around turns, etc...Great in the rain and snow..Has that real road grippng BMW feel..Steerng and response are excellent and the brakes are great..Have a real safe secure feeling in it.