Used 2005 BMW X3 3.0i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
X3 3.0
By Bob

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Had a 325 sedan years ago which was perfect but, with family needs, I needed a bigger car (Navigator which I still have and use). But I had to get back to the BMW 3 series. The X3 seems like a perfect marriage of many worlds - its large but its compact, its fun but its safe, its fast but gets decent mileage, its a single passenger vehicle that is also for a family, its well made but not outrageously priced. The car feels like I'm glued to a track. The engine sounds are great. I love it.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, trunk, engine sounds and smoothness, seats heat quickly

Suggested Improvements

Drivers side view mirror should downward tilt when backing up like passenger side mirror, all cars should have a backup alarm standard

Not the most reliable
By chloe

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Want to love my vehicle, but it was towed 8 days ago because it wouldn't start and service dept is still trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Has spent 30+ days in the shop since I leased it at the end of Aug 05, and has less than 12,000 miles. Multiple repairs, including replacement of belt tensioner and pulley (twice), parking brake repair, mold in A/C system at 8000 miles, transmission reprogrammed, key FOBs keep failing, hatch out of alignment, various rattles, sunroof malfunctioning, dash keeps going black while driving, airbag mat replaced. Too much of a headache for the hefty price tag.

Favorite Features

Controlled steering, good size, nice looking, handles well in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality. Make it easier for dealership to diagnose and fix issues without having to consult the manufacturer first.

New to BMWs
By Gator297

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First time BMW owner, and so far impressed. Responsive steering, excellent braking, front seats very comfortable. Could have used more sound proofing for interior. Road noise and wind flowing across top noticeable. Tight fitting vehicle, no rattles. Titanium int. seems durable. Easy to handle. A head turner. Cargo area seems small with rear seats up.

Favorite Features

Dependability. Handling in snow. Moon roof. Memory seats. Responsive steering almost to the point I feel I could over correct though. Zippy. Excellent braking. Great looks! Because of the synthetic oil required, only have to change twice a year which is convenient but costs about $100.

Suggested Improvements

Can't figure out how to lock the door when I exit unless door is shut. More sound proofing material. Ride a bit rough. Upgrade interior material. Drop the ash tray. Build to accept mid grade fuel rather than the 91 octane - - but only adds $3.50 or so per tank at today's price.

Good
By sethbolz

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All around great car for design, reliability and comfort. Interior lacks a bit in luxury (for a BMW). Power to weight ratio also lacks a bit.

Favorite Features

rain sensing windshield wipers. heated seats. huge sunroof. dual overhead cams.

Suggested Improvements

needs a slightly bigger engine, car is a bit underpowered. needs a bit more interior class.

Made Me A Believer
By gravelroad

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

So, always wanted a BMW...finally bought one off a 3-year lease that was certified. My salesperson said that once I owned a BMW that'd it'd be the only car I'd ever own again..he was SO correct!! The handling is great for an SUV; just like a sports sedan. And, yes, the ride is bumpy. I've read that it's been improved after 2006. But I don't mind..because it handles so great in snow & rain. I've had gas mileage 35 mpg on highway. Of course, with A/C on and driving in city, any car can be as bad as 10 mpg, no exception to date. Even with gas prices predicted at $5.00/gallon, I'd rather be in something safe than a roller skate getting 40 mpg. Think about it!! Planning on keeping this.

Favorite Features

LOVE the handling!! And gas mileage is very good if you drive smart. Safety ratings are great. Handles reliably in any bad weather and is mechanically reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Heated back seats would be heaven...just saying!! I am officially spoiled now.