Used 2005 BMW X3 3.0i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Made Me A Believer
By gravelroad

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

So, always wanted a BMW...finally bought one off a 3-year lease that was certified. My salesperson said that once I owned a BMW that'd it'd be the only car I'd ever own again..he was SO correct!! The handling is great for an SUV; just like a sports sedan. And, yes, the ride is bumpy. I've read that it's been improved after 2006. But I don't mind..because it handles so great in snow & rain. I've had gas mileage 35 mpg on highway. Of course, with A/C on and driving in city, any car can be as bad as 10 mpg, no exception to date. Even with gas prices predicted at $5.00/gallon, I'd rather be in something safe than a roller skate getting 40 mpg. Think about it!! Planning on keeping this.

Favorite Features

LOVE the handling!! And gas mileage is very good if you drive smart. Safety ratings are great. Handles reliably in any bad weather and is mechanically reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Heated back seats would be heaven...just saying!! I am officially spoiled now.

First BMW ever!
By andycindy8288

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After my wife and I have bought the 2005 BMW X3 3.0i. We had no idea how different BMW's where compared to us having a toyota corolla and growing up with ford cars and hondas. At 82K miles we have yet to have any issues with our X3 3.0 aside from guzzling gas at an unexpected rate. But thats a given since we love to put it to the mettle with our 3.0i V6 on the high ways everyday we go to work, and we are on the highways a lot. We where surprised how a midsize SUV like the the BMW X3 3.0i can pack so much and have so many little surprises that you wont find out until you push it to the limit. It has ample enough room and yes the ride is rough, but this is a sports based midsize SUV.

Favorite Features

Power and torque is impeccable with the 3.0i engine especially the fact that it has an all wheel drive train. Enough room to fit my whole family speciously. Enough cargo room for luggage. Great sun/moon roof. Interior is designed liked an sports performance car, though a bit cheap looking but with a sporty feel to it. Controls and dials a easy to use. Great Dash board inter face. Body of the X3 feels like bullet proof. Sexy exterior design. 6 air bags, and has a five star frontal safety rating, and 4 star side impact. Thick interior soft plastic that is great for eliminating road nose. Impeccable sound system and easy to use radio controls. Seat warmers are great, never loose heat.

Suggested Improvements

Cost of maintenance is ridicules especially for minor things like oil changes and changing brake pads, you would think it wont be that much, but wait till you start dropping doe till your account is empty on this car just to keep it running. The manual sucks, just to know how to figure where to oil plug is, you would have to go to a mechanic to tell you that. My toyota's manual tells you where to oil plug is. Cheap plastic paint, it peals off. After 80K miles doors start to squeak, BMW cant figure out why. Not replacing new hinges $790. To much complications with on board computer systems. What happened to simple mechanical cars? Whats with all this computer crap in cars?

Good
By sethbolz

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All around great car for design, reliability and comfort. Interior lacks a bit in luxury (for a BMW). Power to weight ratio also lacks a bit.

Favorite Features

rain sensing windshield wipers. heated seats. huge sunroof. dual overhead cams.

Suggested Improvements

needs a slightly bigger engine, car is a bit underpowered. needs a bit more interior class.

Lovin' it
By Lovin' it

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Love this car! Nothing to wrong with it..they couldve really made it more fancy in the inside for a BMW..its lacking. Stereo isn't great, again for a BMW.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, automatic rain sensors, steering wheel controls, sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Better radio, more cup holders, dials for the heating and air!, automatic rain sensors in sunroof.

62K miles and going strong
By Dustin

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just had the BMW dealer do a full inspection of it and found nothing wrong at 62k miles! All I have done is change oil and buy new tires. The 6 speed manual allows me to have great performance but also allows to get the same or better gas mileage as any 2010 American or Japanese competitor SUV with 6cyl awd. Only difference is the required premium fuel, which is only like and extra $2 per fill up so who cares. Pretty sporty too, topped it out at 140mph before. Awd makes it handle corners and snow excellently.

Favorite Features

Panorama roof, 6 speed manual, awd, Premium package allows for real leather seats with lumbar (didn't even bother with the other kind of leather), my gas mileage usually 19/24, avg 21.5~22mpg (not bad for 5 yrs old!)

Suggested Improvements

The only reason I docked the interior design points, get rid of some the black plastic trim around the center console. Some wind noise around the sunroof, but after all its just a big piece of glass so what do you expect?