Used 2005 BMW X3 3.0i SUV Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Good Daily Driver
By Wayne Rice

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great all season driver's vehicle. It has good power and great safety. It's excellent even in moderately bad conditions. Overall quality has been excellfent. However,
Maintenance can become quite expensive as it ages.

Eleven years going strong
By TonyM

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We purchase this 2005 3.0 X3 brand new. Besides its normal wear and tear and routine maintenance it has be by far the best and most reliable car we have had.
We really got our monies worth, being with the military this car has been up and down the German Autobahn and cruising the Interstates in the southeast.

LOONG ROAD TEST! 181K
By cablack69@mac.com

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have to say, I really love this vehicle. I have read many reviews about the poor quality, repair frequency and lack of comfort. I think if buyers are looking for the softer ride of a true luxury vehicle, buy a Range Rover. This little machine is still kicking butt at 181k! I have had the normal repair costs; tires, brakes, etc. The shocks and struts where changed at 175k. They were the originals! I think I have more than gotten my moneys worth. The only real complaint I have is the panoramic roof. It stopped working about 10k miles ago. I have a fix for it, just haven't done it yet. And the paint/stain on the interior. The thing is, I just drove a 2008 X5 and that problem still exists. I still gotta give my little 3.0, 6-spd manual, 181k mile Bimmer 9 outta 10. Handles like no other in rain/snow, darn good fuel economy for an all wheel drive (averages 23mpg) and with all those miles and the black obsidian paint, it's still a head turner.

Made Me A Believer
By gravelroad

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

So, always wanted a BMW...finally bought one off a 3-year lease that was certified.
My salesperson said that once I owned a BMW that'd it'd be the only car I'd ever own again..he was SO correct!!
The handling is great for an SUV; just like a sports sedan.
And, yes, the ride is bumpy. I've read that it's been improved after 2006.
But I don't mind..because it handles so great in snow & rain.
I've had gas mileage 35 mpg on highway.
Of course, with A/C on and driving in city, any car can be as bad as 10 mpg, no exception to date.
Even with gas prices predicted at $5.00/gallon, I'd rather be in something safe than a roller skate getting 40 mpg.
Think about it!!
Planning on keeping this.

LOVE the handling!! And gas mileage is very good if you drive smart. Safety ratings are great. Handles reliably in any bad weather and is mechanically reliable.

Heated back seats would be heaven...just saying!! I am officially spoiled now.

First BMW ever!
By andycindy8288

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After my wife and I have bought the 2005 BMW X3 3.0i. We had no idea how different BMW's where compared to us having a toyota corolla and growing up with ford cars and hondas. At 82K miles we have yet to have any issues with our X3 3.0 aside from guzzling gas at an unexpected rate. But thats a given since we love to put it to the mettle with our 3.0i V6 on the high ways everyday we go to work, and we are on the highways a lot. We where surprised how a midsize SUV like the the BMW X3 3.0i can pack so much and have so many little surprises that you wont find out until you push it to the limit. It has ample enough room and yes the ride is rough, but this is a sports based midsize SUV.

Power and torque is impeccable with the 3.0i engine especially the fact that it has an all wheel drive train. Enough room to fit my whole family speciously. Enough cargo room for luggage. Great sun/moon roof. Interior is designed liked an sports performance car, though a bit cheap looking but with a sporty feel to it. Controls and dials a easy to use. Great Dash board inter face. Body of the X3 feels like bullet proof. Sexy exterior design. 6 air bags, and has a five star frontal safety rating, and 4 star side impact. Thick interior soft plastic that is great for eliminating road nose. Impeccable sound system and easy to use radio controls. Seat warmers are great, never loose heat.

Cost of maintenance is ridicules especially for minor things like oil changes and changing brake pads, you would think it wont be that much, but wait till you start dropping doe till your account is empty on this car just to keep it running. The manual sucks, just to know how to figure where to oil plug is, you would have to go to a mechanic to tell you that. My toyota's manual tells you where to oil plug is. Cheap plastic paint, it peals off. After 80K miles doors start to squeak, BMW cant figure out why. Not replacing new hinges $790. To much complications with on board computer systems. What happened to simple mechanical cars? Whats with all this computer crap in cars?