Used 2005 BMW X3 2.5i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Extremely poor reliability
By gf1234

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has terrible reliability in 3 yrs I have spent nearly $10,000 in repairs. - two A/C compressor hoses - sunroof leak - air mass meter - all for O2 sensors - complete radiator replacement Do not buy this car.

Great Car
By PR

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The 2.5 has been surprisingly zippy to drive. It is the best car on snow that I have ever owned. Very rough ride and poor fuel economy are my two key complaints. I've never had any significant problems and I have about 45,000 miles on it now. It had several nuisance problems while under warranty like rattles and problems with warning lights but nothing significant. BMW seems a little loose on their quality control, especially for the price. Overall, however, the car is excellent. I have noticed it is a head turner too. People still stop and look at it in parking lots and it is two years old.

Favorite Features

Vehicle looks, roomy interior and brakes. It will stop on a dime and give you nine cents change.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother ride and better fuel economy.

The best SUV for the money
By Peyman

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We have owned our 2.5L X3 for over a year now and we could not be happier. This is an excellent crossover SUV.

Favorite Features

Styling is superb and handling and ride is excellent. Also this crossover SUV has best in class safety.

Suggested Improvements

None. Bring back the 2.5L engine as it is an excellent powertrain from the best engine company in the world, BMW. We also have a 323i with the same 2.5L engine and we love them both.

Fun to drive
By Rayneman

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Great car to drive a little bumpy but not bad. Fuel economy isnt as good as I hoped but better then others. Overall like the car funt to drive will probably buy another BMW.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

smoother ride

Fun, reliable and good gas milage
By Joe

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Traded a Lexus RX300 for the BMW. The BMW is far more nimble and fun to drive. My gas mileage has been great, 18 to 20 in town and 25 to 26 on the highway. The BMW is not as quiet or luxurious as the Lexus but has more room behind the rear seat and the seats are more comfortable (still pretty hard though). My only complaint is that the interior is dfficult to keep clean. The dash and synthetic seats look tough but show every spec of dust. Advice: don't get the black interior.