2004 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
The Truth about the E83
By BMW Fan Forever on 05/22/05 10:48 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is in response to the many people including Edmunds who claim that the interior is "cheap" and the ride is rough. Subjective tripe! If you bought this vehicle and have regrets, I have no sympathy for you. You didn't do your homework. Let me help. THIS IS NOT, NOR WAS IT INTENDED TO BE, AN ELEVATED 330xi! It is a completely unique vehicle by BMW. You will not find a soft, glossy interior. Instead, you are greeted by a rugged dash and a somewhat different look and feel than any other BMW, though there are similarities. It Seems to be very well built. The car follows the road. Rough road=Rough ride! Control is amazing. In short, I can't imagine a car more practical, capable or exciting!

Aaah!.. Now I Get It!
By Scott Douglas on 05/20/05 18:35 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned Toyotas and Hondas for years for the reliability and resale value. Forget it! What good is a reliable car that you don't enjoy driving? The BMW is what you want. It's the closest thing to perfect I've ever seen or owned. The handling is AMAZING! The engineering is first class, and I've owned everything from Ford to Fiat. Ride is not rough, it simply follows the road. It does exactly what you tell it to. I HIGHLY recommend the X3 for the active person or small family. The CPO program is perfect; saved $10,000 over new and still have 3 years factory warranty- plus 2 years CPO warranty! AMAZING! WHY would anyone buy anything other than a BMW? Something to ponder.

Best 'Car-like' Luxury SUV
By realblandpoet on 04/25/05 13:16 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I hate SUVs. Needed more space, and didn't want a wagon, so looked at the X3, and haven't looked back. Closest thing to a car ride. Have bad backs, and dual lumbar support in front seats are THE BEST compared to other cars. Suspension is a little tight, though not as bad on mine w/o the sport package. Base sound system so/so only. Panoramic sunroof amazing. Backseat comfort very good - spacious, especially with sunroof. Fuel economy is my biggest gripe: average 16 MPG in mostly city driving (with a heavy foot). Overall value was great with end of year deals - probably wouldn't have justified cost otherwise. Got Aux. audio jack: Works great with iPod (don't think iPod jack is worth it)!

Consistency
By robert amen on 03/20/05 09:17 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned BMWs since 1984. The X-3 is an excellent example of the BMW experience. It provides a solid ride, fun and is very functional. I bought it for winter driving. It is excellent in all conditions. It is fun and responsive whether driving on the highway or in NYC.The X3 is a good cross over between the X5 and the 3 series. I'm very pleased with it.

Good or Bad
By Anschris on 03/03/05 14:06 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We had a MB C230 coupe & loved it so much for a hatchback cargo space, the ride & of course the panoramic roof except rear wheel drive in snowy winter...It was time to change & get a BMW X3, more cargo space & more secure in winter driving. It's so grip on snow & no problem of getting out of driveway with fresh snow. It corners better than a car but a little bumpy on aged asphalt, which I think it's due to low profile tires.

The Fun Driving Machine
By Jose A. on 02/20/05 01:29 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The X3 is so much fun to drive! It handles like a sports car. It's quiet at highway speeds. Great brakes! It has a fantastic sunroof that extends to the rear seats that brings extra light into the vehicle, as well as a sense of added interior space. The xDrive works great on wet and snowy roads. The automatic transmission with the 5-speed Steptronic shifter is really fun on a twisty road. The 2.5 liter six cylinder engine provides the X3 with plenty of power. The leather seats are supportive and very comfortable. For someone who does not like monster sized SUV's, but likes great comfort, safety and AWD performance, the X3 is the perfect vehicle for any road.

EXTREMELY ROUGH SUSPENSION
By Robert on 02/06/05 15:37 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased black X3 3.0 6speed with active xenon lights and Panorama roof. Looking back, the 25 min test drive was on all smooth asphalt surfaces where the salesman directed me to go. After driving home over patchy concrete and highway expansion joints I became worried. The suspension was unbelievably stiff. Yes the X3 handled spectacular, but at a huge price of feeling every irregularity in the road directly to your back. Every single person who rode in my X3 commented within 10 mins how rough it rode (and I had normal suspension, the non-sport package). Got to the point where I started seeing a chiropracter. I called it quits and traded it in after 5 months of ownership.

wowilovethe X3!
By X3summerwntrfall on 01/26/05 15:43 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Well I got this car in June, for my 16th birthday. i liked the X5 but my parents thought it was too big so I got this. When I saw it online I was thinking wow, with these options and 5,000.00 more you could have an Escalade. Well the dealers incentives are pretty good so then I got the car. It is black with grey leather and has the Sport pckg., Prem pckg., Prem. Snd, xenon lights, cold weather package, and steptronic plus navigation. WOW I am so impressed. It has adequate power for what I need and feels very safe. It takes corners 50- 55mph like a dime. It seems small on the outside but the inside is great. Spending the summer in this car was awesome! we just had a winter snow storm, was great

First BMW ... a bit pricy, but solid
By rckpittsburgh on 01/06/05 09:19 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After driving an A4 for several years, was in the market for a vehicle with more space, but still fun to drive. The X3 has filled both needs, but thus far it feels like it was $10K too expensive (mid $40Ks) -- after adding reasonable equipment to the 3.0 package. In hindsight, wonder why I did not buy an X5? Ultimately, extra cost up-front vs. vehicles in its class will need to gauged vs. long-term reliability.

Nice, but .............
By ProMariner on 01/06/05 00:14 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I originally started looking at the Cadillac SRX, but didn't like their bundled options and price. I love the styling and performance of the BMW, but there is a lot of room for improvement. The ride is a bit stiff. Acceleration and handling are great making this vehicle fun to drive. This is my first SUV and I couldn't believe the poor gas mileage, on premium fuel! Next, the front door seals protrude into the doorways, making them susceptible to damage during entry/ exit. And the cargo area is poorly lit by a light on the tailgate. If you slam the tailgate too hard, the bulb pops out of its socket! I wish they would pay more attention to the details. Nice, but not worth the $43k price tag.