Used 2004 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Got rid of it!
By Lisa

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I think I was just so excited to be able to say that I OWNED a "BMW" that I got too caught up in the name. I was so disappointed to find out that only weeks after I purchased the vehicle, it started rattling like a cage! It felt like it was falling apart. I expected alot more from a "BMW." I traded that sucker and am now the owner of a Lexus and I couldnt be happier!

Suggested Improvements

Make it more solid and less cheap plastic.

40.000 mi X3
By Ken

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The longer we've owned this car, the better we like it. The biggest drawback is the protruding plastic bits under the doors, everytime you get out you get dirty. Floor doesn't quite fold flat, but close enough. We bought snow tires as we do a good deal of winter driving and that made a ton of difference. The clutch and brakes have remained good, transmission and engine strong. Ownership drawbacks - high priced gas and oil.

Favorite Features

Reliability, ease of use.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better tires, cleaner exterior styling.

Just Bought a Used 2004
By S Lanoue

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've only owned the vehicle for 4 days and I'm quite attached already. The engine is powerful. One caution to first-time BMW drivers, the car uses premium gas. There are plenty of unique features that I'll be reading about for days and learning how to use (rain sensing windshield wipers, self-adjusting headlights, etc.). It does seem a bit utilitarian in the scarcity of luxury-type interior features (where's the built-in sunglass holder and coin rack?). Also, the ride is very springy/bouncy, not as smooth as I expected. Nonetheless, I am smitten at least with the novelty of it all.

Favorite Features

Radio shows the artist's name and song's title when it's playing (kinda cool if you've ever wondered the name of a song you didn't know). Also, the AC filter pulls excess dust/pollen from the car's interior. And, let's not forget the self-adjusting car headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a smoother, less bouncy ride.

Small BMW SUV a Winner
By NES

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned SUVs for 20 years - Jeep, Mercedes, Honda, etc. This is the best balance between a fun, powerful passing machine and a car to haul things in. Love it. Seats a little hard, but very supportive. No maintenance problems at all. Great warranty.

Favorite Features

Handling, pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Rear design a litle boxy - roomy but not that good looking because of window proportions.

Used purchase
By D Carty

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Was ready to buy either new Rav4 or CRV for wife who requires all wheel drive, but really wanted X3. Found used vehicle at reasonable price with 30K mi. All around better quality (currently own 21 yr old 528e and 33 yr old 2002). Consider to be much better vehicle used than new Rav4 or CRV! X drive is unbelievable!

Favorite Features

Style, performance, quality, X drive.