2004 BMW X3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
great road handler
By autofan on 01/16/06 23:54 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great car, it accelerates quickly enough and it follows your intentions effortlessly and its overall dimensions are excellent, it is neither too small nor too big for driving around town or on the freeways. The roof skylight is just awesome because it lets lots of sun in. It is a pleasure to drive.

no regrets
By bluecoyote on 12/30/05 06:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

i've been driving it for 1 and 1/2, and like it so much will likely buy it when lease is up. had an initial problem right after delivery - rattling windows. Dealer took care of it, no problems since. I have the faux leather interior which is awesome for my big dogs. Wish the trunk was little roomier and wish they had offered satellite radio at the time of purchase, but otherwise, it's great. Good gas mileage too. Would recommend this to anyone thinking of a crossover vehicle.

The 2.5 Manual Has Enough Power
By H. Jones on 12/29/05 16:01 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The 25 liter 6 speed manual trans. offers gear ratio's which are correct for the nenine. I get 20 mpg around town and 27-28 mpg on the road. I have heard complaints about the power. I live in the Rocky Mountains and have not trouble with power as well as no trouble with passing. Perhaps, drivers don't like the managing the power with a manual transmission. It takes deep snow well and will do a good job in mud (we have both). I replaced the original tires at 20,00 miles with Kelly Navigators; good tires! The only problem I have had is the seat cover on the drivers side cracking. It handles so well I think many sedans would be poor by comparison.

Closest SUV/Sports Car out there
By vsroman on 12/28/05 15:32 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After 25,000 miles and almost two years this SAV is a very reliable vehicle. It really took a full year for me to really appreciate it. It is a sporty summer fun vehicle with the big sunroof and rips through the ice/snow with ease in the winter. If you don't want two vehicles this is a great compromise. It drives almost as sporty as a 3- series and is awesome in the snow. Add the extra utility and it is truly a winner. And pretty decent gas mileage too. I routinely get 21 mpg and drive fairly hard on the gas pedal.

X3 could be better
By RussoX3 on 11/28/05 15:27 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

With 18k miles, this car rattles from a few areas, and there is a water leak soaking the back seat floor. Car handles great and is fun to drive - the 6 speed helps! Overall car is comfortable and handles like a BMW. Quality of materials is a problem.

E(X3)ITEMENT!!
By Mike on 10/20/05 15:02 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great vehicle. Build quality is superb and interior finishes are appropriate to the way the its used. Cargo space is fine for most trips to the home center or warehouse store. Long trips of 1,000 miles are comfortable and seating doesn't fatigue. The most noticeable feature is the X- drive. When in sand or loose gravel this vehicle is superb. We had a drag race with a Benz G-Wagen while in Mexico and left our 90 thousand dollar friend far behind.... Great vehicle.

Sexy X3
By Plummer on 09/15/05 16:37 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased for European Delivery - family of 5 and luggage. BMW discounts about $2500, buy it from your local dealer. Also save rental exp. I found this site looking for a chip I might add to improve gas mileage. I get a horrible 13.8MPG in the city driving softly. Other issues: 1) at 75 MPH a high pitched noise is induced. Got to drive faster or slower to avoid it. 2) The rear hatch often doesn't shut completely. Interior light remains on. Need to really slam it. 3) Order the back-up warning system because the rear window is so high you can't see the hood of the car your backing into. 4) Stearing wheel blocks the speedometer. Regardless great car. Hope MPG can be fixed.

Me & My X-3
By LG on 08/15/05 21:23 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The X-3 is a very tight riding, solid European car. The exterior styling is beautiful. It handles very well in snow. The moon roof feels like a convertible when opened fully. Gas mileage could be better, but I've used regular gas without any problems. I do not feel the 2.5L engine is underpowered. The interior I have is leatherette and somewhat plain, but spills wipe off easily. The A/C could be a little better. I wish it had a center console. Overall, I'm very happy with my X-3!!

perfect combination
By Pat on 08/10/05 14:06 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned Porsche, several SUVs,, Chevys, Jeep, Subaru. Looked at the Beamer cause I loved my BMW K100 motorcycle. Since it is a little pricey, (not overpriced) looked at company cars with less than 9k miles. Also drove Mercedes, Lexus, Audi Toyota etc. Wanted performance AND 4X versatility. Got both in spades. Handles better than some sports cars. Heated leather seats and all the bells and whistles you could hope for.

Finally performance and utility
By Ryan on 06/07/05 11:12 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The X3 is an excellent compromise between perfomance and utility. I never feel as though I am driving a truck, yet when required, she will haul kids, boats, dogs, and the occational load of straw. I fit 6 bails of straw with the rear door closed easily. No need to worry about keeping it clean because it's a truck. Actually the quality materials allow for quick and easiy clean-up. This vehical is top notch and as motivated me to trade-in my MB c-class for the new 3 series.