Used 2004 BMW X3 2.5i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Good but not great.
By poeschel1

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this car to replace a Tahoe for fuel economy. Gets great fuel economy, 2.5l is adequate but wish I had gone with the 3.0l. Excellent stability in poor driving conditions. Fit and finish is severely lacking. Ash tray lid won't stay closed. Paint chipping on roof rack. Often have issues with door locking system. Radio seems to delete all preset stations every couple days. I also have 330i and experience none of these issues. BMW really missed the mark with this car. Feels like a Kia.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, stability and handling and overall design.

Suggested Improvements

Make it feel more like a BMW. Cheep and low budget interior isn't what I have come to expect from BMW.

Fun to drive - but some problems
By Ben

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I own the X3 2.5 for 4 years now. Fun to drive and a smart looking crossover. However Airbag mat (now a official recall) broke 5 times, windows seals have been replaced 3 times and car still CREAKS on every turn and pothole. Steering rack start creaking, too, and was completely replaced. I do find those problems not acceptable for BMW and will stay away until the get their quality back. BMW paid for their mistakes: I have bought their extended warranty for about 3000 extra to extend to 100k/6 years and they will fix no matter what without question ask. Do not get the car without warranty or prepaid service - itīs a money pit !

Favorite Features

Handling and look.

Suggested Improvements

BMW need to improve the quality !

BMW X3 overview
By Ed Rohnk

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

It is very responsive to the movement of the controls. Acceleration is good. Holds the road well. It is a surpringly nimble car for its size. The breaking is excellent. The interior is spacious. Dash board and instrument readouts are easy to see. I like the orange lighting at night. The exterior sun roof design is beautiful. I enjoy just looking at it.

Favorite Features

The double sun roof is fun. I also like the one button feature to lock/unlock all doors. I like the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage without sacrificing power.

Got rid of it!
By Lisa

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I think I was just so excited to be able to say that I OWNED a "BMW" that I got too caught up in the name. I was so disappointed to find out that only weeks after I purchased the vehicle, it started rattling like a cage! It felt like it was falling apart. I expected alot more from a "BMW." I traded that sucker and am now the owner of a Lexus and I couldnt be happier!

Suggested Improvements

Make it more solid and less cheap plastic.

40.000 mi X3
By Ken

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The longer we've owned this car, the better we like it. The biggest drawback is the protruding plastic bits under the doors, everytime you get out you get dirty. Floor doesn't quite fold flat, but close enough. We bought snow tires as we do a good deal of winter driving and that made a ton of difference. The clutch and brakes have remained good, transmission and engine strong. Ownership drawbacks - high priced gas and oil.

Favorite Features

Reliability, ease of use.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better tires, cleaner exterior styling.