2004 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Got rid of it!
By Lisa on 11/14/07 17:09 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I think I was just so excited to be able to say that I OWNED a "BMW" that I got too caught up in the name. I was so disappointed to find out that only weeks after I purchased the vehicle, it started rattling like a cage! It felt like it was falling apart. I expected alot more from a "BMW." I traded that sucker and am now the owner of a Lexus and I couldnt be happier!

40.000 mi X3
By Ken on 09/01/07 07:14 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The longer we've owned this car, the better we like it. The biggest drawback is the protruding plastic bits under the doors, everytime you get out you get dirty. Floor doesn't quite fold flat, but close enough. We bought snow tires as we do a good deal of winter driving and that made a ton of difference. The clutch and brakes have remained good, transmission and engine strong. Ownership drawbacks - high priced gas and oil.

Just Bought a Used 2004
By S Lanoue on 07/05/07 12:43 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've only owned the vehicle for 4 days and I'm quite attached already. The engine is powerful. One caution to first-time BMW drivers, the car uses premium gas. There are plenty of unique features that I'll be reading about for days and learning how to use (rain sensing windshield wipers, self-adjusting headlights, etc.). It does seem a bit utilitarian in the scarcity of luxury-type interior features (where's the built-in sunglass holder and coin rack?). Also, the ride is very springy/bouncy, not as smooth as I expected. Nonetheless, I am smitten at least with the novelty of it all.

Small BMW SUV a Winner
By NES on 06/20/07 07:33 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned SUVs for 20 years - Jeep, Mercedes, Honda, etc. This is the best balance between a fun, powerful passing machine and a car to haul things in. Love it. Seats a little hard, but very supportive. No maintenance problems at all. Great warranty.

Used purchase
By D Carty on 03/15/07 08:33 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Was ready to buy either new Rav4 or CRV for wife who requires all wheel drive, but really wanted X3. Found used vehicle at reasonable price with 30K mi. All around better quality (currently own 21 yr old 528e and 33 yr old 2002). Consider to be much better vehicle used than new Rav4 or CRV! X drive is unbelievable!

2004 BMW X3 Pros & Cons
By jbutch on 01/23/07 10:40 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Pros: this is an awesome SUV with a manual transmission making it fun to drive - zippy! It's very hard to find american SUVs that are at least 6 cylinder with a stick shift & this one has a 6 speed! Love that! Great size for women who think most SUVs are too big and hard to handle. It's slightly larger than a Toyota RAV4, but well appointed with panoramic sun roof & nice detailing throughout.

2004 BMW X3
By mjloeper on 12/26/06 19:50 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Very fun. Drives wonderfully in the snow and wet. Quiet ride and power.

Best buy
By Jarno on 12/16/06 12:04 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

3.0i with sport package and manual 6-speed. Great car to drive in mountain spins, highway and also in city. Sport pack suspension makes car very fast to drive. Winter driving with studded Nokian HKPL4 is fun and safe. 28 mpg/55 mph, 25 mpg/72 mph highway, and 21 in city, thanks to the manual. Trunk eats 3 person weekend luggages, big emmaljunga & Graco city strollers + hunting staff, everything under cargo space cover same time - I have tried same with volvo xc70 with poor success:-)).

Excellent Drive
By MAP on 12/10/06 14:56 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

It is smooth riding and handles great. We had a 20 inch snowfall last week. This car had no problems. I saw many other SUVs stuck on the side of the road. Get the heated seats.

BMW X3
By Jackie on 11/07/06 07:58 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was very pleased with the reliability of this first model year vehicle. It has a lower profile for an SUV allowing for better turns and sports car handling. I have had no mechanical problems and the included service contract is a plus. The only problem is the lip or running board. It is sometimes difficult to get in and out of the vehicle. I would like it to be thinner. Overall I am very satified with the X3.