Used 2004 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Great in the snow
By Snow girl

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We live in area of heavy snowfall and call this car "snow leopard". Its handling in the ice and snow is the best. It is much better in the deep snow than my Toyota Landcruiser.

Favorite Features

Excellent defog on windshield

Not good quality for this model
By horacio

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Needs a lot of maintenance, on brakes, tires are expensive, the moon roof does not work. It will cost like 2500 to fix, the first gear jumps really bad I scare to drive it now, and the ac compressor went out! Not a smart buy I have 99,500 miles on it.

Favorite Features

The looks, style, fun to drive with low miles only!

Suggested Improvements

Better quality!

Upholstery Seats
By RDLUI

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this vehicle for my wife when it first came out in 2004. Drives well and is very responsive... just like most BMW's... Have had a good experience overall and not much to complain about. However, the upholstery (not leather but vinyl fabric?) on the front driver's seat started cracking during the 3rd year of ownership and the fabric was replaced under warranty during the 4th and final year of warranty. My complaint is that barely a year later, the same cracking is appearing on the same seat. My wife weighs about 105 lbs and there's only 52,000kms (30,000 miles) on the car!

Favorite Features

Driveability and responsive feel for a SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Use fabric for the seats that actually lasts for more than a year or two.

Bimmer Family
By Bimmer Family

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My husband bought this car for me for X-mas. I have been driving it for a couple years now and we are very pleased. We have made several long trips in it, in sun, rain and snow and had no problems. We have the six speed manual and the only thing I don't like is that it's so slow in 1st gear, but once into 2nd, it's very zippy and handles great. Even though the gas mileage could be better, we average 22-23 mpg's which I think is great for a 4-wheel drive vehicle. The navigation system is great! It always projects correct travel times.

Favorite Features

The huge sunroof, the automatic roll down of windows from the remote.

Not what I was expecting from an SUV!
By Tavana

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was a bit unsure if I should ever own an SUV, but after driving the X3 I was convinced that you can own an SUV and still feel like driving a sports car. I was impressed by the quickness and sportiness of the X3. Road handling feels like driving a 3 series with a kick! I highly recommend this car for those who want to have the fun of driving a BMW and have some luggage to carry with them. Watch out for gas expense! Premium fuel only??!!

Favorite Features

It's an SUV, but feels like a high performance sports car. Love driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Hire a Japanese electrical engineer to fix BMW electrical issues. Moonroof rack not shutting completely, and some other silly electrical issues.